The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The person who checks/collects tickets could kick people off if they are caught eating. Same goes if someone is caught smoking, right?
Original post by SHallowvale
The person who checks/collects tickets could kick people off if they are caught eating. Same goes if someone is caught smoking, right?

I think it’s different to smoking though. For one, having a smoke may set off alarms and harms you and those around you. Plus it takes longer than eating a small chocolate bar for example.

Plus, you don’t have tickets being checked on every train. Does it really promote obesity or harm anyone if I eat my cheese sandwich or have a cup of tea on a train?
I mean, no issues with the idea of not eating on public transport. Hell, I was under the assumption that this was an unspoken rule bar the obvious exceptions.

However, the thought process is entirely off and the meer thought is downright idiotic. People don't get fat because they eat a packet of crips on the bus every day. People get fat by constantly eating and/or eating larger portions of food. Where does that happen? At home or in restaurants. Stopping 30 Stone Dorothy from having her daily packet of crisps on the bus isn't going to do anything for her weight. Sally is acting as though everyone is eating oversized meals every time they get on the bus...
Reply 4
I’d understand if the reasoning was for litter but obesity? What if someone was on a 4+ hour journey needed to eat? Or if a diabetic person needed to have sugar? Fasting?

I also feel that obesity shouldn’t be tackled by public transport because it’s simply a form of transportation. The real problem would be restaurants and takeaways that don’t promote healthier options. If anything this would anger people more lol
Original post by myraxo
I’d understand if the reasoning was for litter but obesity? What if someone was on a 4+ hour journey needed to eat? Or if a diabetic person needed to have sugar? Fasting?

I also feel that obesity shouldn’t be tackled by public transport because it’s simply a form of transportation. The real problem would be restaurants and takeaways that don’t promote healthier options. If anything this would anger people more lol

As I understand it, it’s only for urban public transport (so not 4 hr journeys) and people will be allowed to eat if they need for health.

Regardless it’s a silly idea. Is it really terrible for me to get on a bus at rush hour (not knowing when I will get to my location) to have a small cup of tea and a biscuit to keep me going?
Original post by myraxo

Exactly.
Banning it on pubic transport is a bit stupid if you ask me. Like you said, people could be eating on there for a genuine reason, e.g. diabetic, long journey etc etc.
Plus it wouldnt be the easiest to police, in that if there isnt a member of staff around (collecting tickets etc) then who would stop them? You certainly dont see members of staff on busses in most parts of the country apart from the driver (at least where i live anyway).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7

In 99% of cases there is no such person. You only have the bus or tram driver.
There is actually some more viable and potentially effective suggestions in the CMO report.

However, given most people lack the attention span to even read beyond the public transport ban headline, they sure as hell they won't read the report.
Original post by Andrew97
I think it’s different to smoking though. For one, having a smoke may set off alarms and harms you and those around you. Plus it takes longer than eating a small chocolate bar for example.

Plus, you don’t have tickets being checked on every train. Does it really promote obesity or harm anyone if I eat my cheese sandwich or have a cup of tea on a train?

Of course, but like a lot of laws it couldn't be enforced unless it was seen. I've just given one example of how it could be enforced.

Original post by Drewski
In 99% of cases there is no such person. You only have the bus or tram driver.

In well over half the trains I go on someone checks my ticket.
Reply 10
Original post by Andrew97
As I understand it, it’s only for urban public transport (so not 4 hr journeys) and people will be allowed to eat if they need for health.

Regardless it’s a silly idea. Is it really terrible for me to get on a bus at rush hour (not knowing when I will get to my location) to have a small cup of tea and a biscuit to keep me going?

Exactly. As for the medical issues, surely someone could claim that they have one as an excuse for them to eat as I doubt staff will do thorough checks of this - “you have diabetes? prove it” doesn’t sound too promising
Reply 11

That report is BS

portions are not going UP.

A standard packet of crisps was never anywhere near 100g, let alone 150g now.
they're about 25 grams now on average. and a packet of crisps costs 4p MAX to produce. Crisp companies are robbing us consumers absolutely blind!

also most products have decreased in size over the years. Off the top of my head there's mars, snickers, lindt, the 1 pound milky bar, topic, innocent smoothies

and LOADS i've probably forgotton

If obesity is such a problem then charge obese people higher taxes or national insurance or something
(edited 4 years ago)
Idiotic, totalitarian and a waste of everyone's time.
Also represents an enforcement nightmare for transport workers who already have to cope with awful violence and verbal abuse.

Eating on public transport as a matter of habit may be inconsiderate, bad mannered and result in a lot of litter being dumped on seats or the ground.
But a ban is disproportionate; snacking while commuting hardly represents a threat to national security or public health.
I didn't agree with the alcohol ban on public transport either.

such ******* honestly
Why is this ban proposed for everyone and not just the obese, if we can make exceptions for people with health conditions then we can make exceptions for people that aren't obese.

I got excited when I saw this thread because it's my pet peeve......people eating stinky fast food on trains and so on .....nasty.....they get my hard stare but it doesn't work
Original post by harrysbar
I got excited when I saw this thread because it's my pet peeve......people eating stinky fast food on trains and so on .....nasty.....they get my hard stare but it doesn't work

Eating on a train/bus + people who don't close their mouths when they chew = hell on Earth.
How on earth are you supposed implement this stupidity :rofl:
It's like doing a high jump without even walking.
Of course, but like a lot of laws it couldn't be enforced unless it was seen. I've just given one example of how it could be enforced.

In well over half the trains I go on someone checks my ticket.

Would we be counting trains if we're only talking about the urban environment? Once you leave London (and the government might be surprised to know there is life outside London) they don't work that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending