The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 2 (8700/2) - Monday 12th June [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your GCSE English Language Paper 2 exam go today?

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 2 (8700/2) - Monday 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: Monday 12th June 2023 / AM
Length: 1h 45m

Resources
AQA GCSE English Language

Congratulations on finishing your exam

(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

is anyone ready for paper1 english language tmrw im scared especially q4 and 5
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by tahminar0001
is anyone ready for paper1 english language tmrw im scared especially q4 and 5

noo :frown: im scared for q3 the most
Original post by acolourfulhuman
noo :frown: im scared for q3 the most

im a little scared for q3 too. does anyone have any tips on how i can time manage, I go over the question time limits all the time because nothing comes to my mind until later on in the exam and I dont get to write the amount I want to write for each question (Q2 - 2 paragraphs, Q3- 2 paragraphs, Q4- 3 paragraphs, Q5- 5 paragraphs). Does anyone know what I can do?????? IM SO SCARED that IM GONNA MESS THIS UPPP. I got a 5 close to a 6 in my mocks, but I'm scared I wont get the 6 because I dont write enough!!!
Original post by tahminar0001
im a little scared for q3 too. does anyone have any tips on how i can time manage, I go over the question time limits all the time because nothing comes to my mind until later on in the exam and I dont get to write the amount I want to write for each question (Q2 - 2 paragraphs, Q3- 2 paragraphs, Q4- 3 paragraphs, Q5- 5 paragraphs). Does anyone know what I can do?????? IM SO SCARED that IM GONNA MESS THIS UPPP. I got a 5 close to a 6 in my mocks, but I'm scared I wont get the 6 because I dont write enough!!!

I forgot to practice my time management and started with question 5 spent way to long on it cause my mind went blank for 15 minutes and then I didn’t have enough time to do question 4 or 3 and it breaks my heart because I knew how to do them 😭
Reply 5
What do you think Q5 will be? Letter or article or something else?
Reply 6
Original post by Gigi7890
What do you think Q5 will be? Letter or article or something else?

Could be anything 🤷
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Can someone mark my work please for Language Paper 2 Question 2?

In source A, James presents his childhood as exquisite and something to cherish. He resembles this in the description of the chocolates as a "china vase". The writer is using chocolates to symbolise his life as extremely valuable and precious as though he wants to remember his childhood forever. The writer also enlightens us on how his life is action- packed and entertaining. H e says his life "loaded like a cluster bomb" which tells us that his childhood was packed with many stories and memories. His life was entertaining and wonderful to behold as he says "stunning explosion" which highlights how captivating and enthralling it was. He remembers his childhood vividly and loves how wonderful his childhood was.

In source B, the childhood of the children's working in the factories is presented as bittersweet. Unlike the children in source A who are enjoying their childhood, the children in the factory are working hard for the "pitiful pay". We understand how the children are in poverty and they have to be forced to take the decision of working in order to provide for themselves and their families as they have no other choice. The children are working undef the "strict scrutiny" of their supervisor, which tells the hardships of their work and how stressful their work must've been as their margin of mistakes were very small. However the children still create the sweet memories from their enduring work as they view their products as "works of art". It tells the innocence of the children and how the children make the most of their memories cherish-able.
Reply 8
@Georgeallen @username6203623 can u mark my work pls?
Reply 9
Can someone mark my work for Language Paper 2 Question 3?

The writer use language to present eating Fantail Sweets as a risky task. We learn this in the hyperbole "chocolate-coated toffee so glutinous that it would induce lockjaw in a donkey". From this hyperbole, we learn that the Fantail Sweets super sticky and can make the persons jaw seize. By choosing to say that Fantail Sweets can "induce lockjaw in a donkey" the writer is emphasising the properties of the sweet and how sticky it is. Donkeys are known for the powerful strength of their jaws and by the writer choosing to say that, Fantail Sweets can "induce lockjaw" the writer has cleverly portrayed the strength of the sweet. As a result, the writer presents eating the Fantail Sweets as a risky task.

Moreover the writer presents the task of eating the Fantail Sweets as risky when the writer uses alliteration in the "chipped open with a cold chisel." This line may have been used by the writer to illustrate the amount of strength the toffee requires to physically digest. The writer makes this clear in the words "cold chisel", where the writer illustrates the need of having to use a "chisel" to break through the toffee. A chisel is used on stronger material like stone and so by the writer choosing to use the word "chisel" the writer alludes to how the person has to break the tough sweet to break his jaw. As a result the writer presents the task of eating the Fantail Sweets as risky.

However, the writer also presents eating as highly desirable. The writer uses contrast to say the sweets will "last forever" only to be finished of a "single afternoon". The writer does this to show how the sweets are a desirable sweet that people enjoy eating. The phrases tell us how as the writer begins to eat the sweets, they start to enjoy and savour the sweets and a s a result of this, the writer loses track of how many sweets he digests as a result of the captivating taste that the writer cannot get enough of. The word "single" conveys this perfectly as it illustrates how the writer may have finished the sweets one by one, losing track of how many sweets as a result of them enjoying the sweet. As a result, the writer presents the sweets as highly desirable as they are enjoyable.
Original post by Gw.arz

In source A, James presents his childhood as exquisite and something to cherish. He resembles this in the description of the chocolates as a "china vase". The writer is using chocolates to symbolise his life as extremely valuable and precious as though he wants to remember his childhood forever. The writer also enlightens us on how his life is action- packed and entertaining. H e says his life "loaded like a cluster bomb" which tells us that his childhood was packed with many stories and memories. His life was entertaining and wonderful to behold as he says "stunning explosion" which highlights how captivating and enthralling it was. He remembers his childhood vividly and loves how wonderful his childhood was.

In source B, the childhood of the children's working in the factories is presented as bittersweet. Unlike the children in source A who are enjoying their childhood, the children in the factory are working hard for the "pitiful pay". We understand how the children are in poverty and they have to be forced to take the decision of working in order to provide for themselves and their families as they have no other choice. The children are working undef the "strict scrutiny" of their supervisor, which tells the hardships of their work and how stressful their work must've been as their margin of mistakes were very small. However the children still create the sweet memories from their enduring work as they view their products as "works of art". It tells the innocence of the children and how the children make the most of their memories cherish-able.

I would give this a solid 7. However, I would recommend having two comparison pointers and talk about them in the same paragraph.
Reply 11
Is it going to be an article?
Reply 12
Original post by nlichtman
Is it going to be an article?

It could be a letter, speech, article, blog etc
Can I use underlining/capitalising of words for effect in Q5?
Reply 14
Any tips on how to use the ethos pathos logos structure? I always get confused.
Original post by joelymoley1
Can I use underlining/capitalising of words for effect in Q5?

capitalising is good, although it should only be used if the register is an informal audience
i don't think you should use underlining
Original post by Gw.arz

If I'm correct, it's best to use the structure SQI (statement, quote, inference) since this question is based on inferences. Basically, you should be using this suggests or this implies to get those high marks. What you wrote would be best for q3
Original post by probably_sane
capitalising is good, although it should only be used if the register is an informal audience
i don't think you should use underlining

Okay thank you, i was pretty sure underlining was not a good idea but wanted to check :smile:
Reply 18
Hi guys, was just wondering if someone could quickly take a look at my Language paper 2 Question 5 answer and give it a rough mark
This was the question: Young people are not responsible enough to drive cars until they are at least twenty-one years old.' Write an article for a broadsheet newspaper in which you explain your point of view on this statement'.

Answer:

Intelligence. Care. Sympathy. In an ideal world, our youth would display these imperative qualities when beginning to drive that would indubitably guide us to a happier and safer nation. However, recklessness, lunacy and utter stupidity have become the prevailing dark forces dictating the way in which the younger generation are driving in today’s world. Should this remain incessant, the mortality rates will inevitably increase as a result of the potentially fatal consequences of our adolescents’ disregard towards fellow drivers. Having worked at nine different workplaces throughout my career as a paediatric neurosurgeon, I have been able to see first hand the dire consequences that often occur when we see such young boys and girls carelessly driving around the streets. I would often have to travel a distance of two hours per journey to reach the hospital at which I worked, and almost every day, without fail, I would witness a man or a woman on the ground swarmed by a plethora of paramedics aiming to help them regain their consciousness. It is a minute of spontaneity, a minute of mania, which causes these immature acts that so often end as a tragedy. Simply put, this must stop. This must stop now.

Of course, you might contend that driving at a younger age installs our teenagers with a sense of responsibility, a sense of responsibility that will allow them to flourish later on in life, be it in their professions or at home looking after their family. What’s more, alongside this responsibility, they will also be given a fantastically convenient method of transportation, which can be universally used to get from A to Z, whenever and wherever they want. To these critics I say this: there is nothing that driving teaches, which other, much less dangerous and much more befitting activities can teach to our youth just as well. Take, for example, charity work. By working together as a team in a charity organisation, we will not only be providing our younger generation with experience for future workplaces, but also, much like driving, a strong sense of responsibility to ensure they are keeping up to date with their specific roles within the organisation. Driving is often deemed to be symbolic of the first steps to adulthood, but the inescapable reality is that it has no place for such a young group of people. Albeit, I may be seemingly over passionate and degrading young drivers entirely, but it must be understood that this is not my intention. Instead, I merely wish to convey the importance of acknowledging this contemporary issue as well as the steps we can take to resolve it.

It is also outrageous that young drivers are immediately permitted to drive on densely populated areas straight after gaining their licence, including motorways and dual carriageways. A recent survey conducted in York revealed that approximately 56% of fatalities that have occurred with younger generations driving, have taken place in these regions. Were you aware of this? Did you ever stop to think or perhaps even acknowledge the existence of this issue? The likely answer is no. With the average speed of cars on the motorway conventionally being 60 mph, it is completely understandable that such a great deal of deaths by car accidents are occurring on a daily basis. After having experienced around 20 lessons with a driving instructor who was probably focused on their next client and maximising their income, of course these young people will not be ready for the road. It is not enough. It is often said that, ‘with age comes experience’ and the exact same principle applies to driving for younger generations. Being faced with adversity, with challenges, is what moulds a human being to ensure they do not make mistakes in the future, but if these young people have never been exposed to these challenges, the chances of failure when it comes to driving in real life, will have already multiplied.

It is unequivocally evident that this is true.

However, not all hope is lost; like resilient seeds amidst barren soil, it sprouts the potential for transformation inspiring to rise above this contemporary issue in our society and catalyse the change needed for a better future. And here, the change will come in the form of a careful review of the current legislation around the age you must be to be able to start driving- I believe you must be at least 21 years old to start. Currently, teenagers as young as 17 are legally allowed to start driving. You must agree that this is complete and utter lunacy. Young boys and girls, who have just started college, who are still undergoing puberty, who are still finding their way in life, are allowed to drive such a complex machine as a car. Do you genuinely think this is right? To quote the famous and honourable Barack Obama- ‘we are the change that we seek’. So, let us. Let us be that change. Let us work collectively as a joint unit, and protest so that we can make a permanent change to the age restrictions of driving. Let us prevent adding another number to the casualties, causing another mother to endlessly weep over the loss of their child caught in the midst of a dangerously busy road. Most of all, let us never hear of the death of a young man or woman by a car accident ever again. Let us make a change.
Reply 19
Original post by Bilz38
Hi guys, was just wondering if someone could quickly take a look at my Language paper 2 Question 5 answer and give it a rough mark
This was the question: Young people are not responsible enough to drive cars until they are at least twenty-one years old.' Write an article for a broadsheet newspaper in which you explain your point of view on this statement'.

Answer:

Intelligence. Care. Sympathy. In an ideal world, our youth would display these imperative qualities when beginning to drive that would indubitably guide us to a happier and safer nation. However, recklessness, lunacy and utter stupidity have become the prevailing dark forces dictating the way in which the younger generation are driving in today’s world. Should this remain incessant, the mortality rates will inevitably increase as a result of the potentially fatal consequences of our adolescents’ disregard towards fellow drivers. Having worked at nine different workplaces throughout my career as a paediatric neurosurgeon, I have been able to see first hand the dire consequences that often occur when we see such young boys and girls carelessly driving around the streets. I would often have to travel a distance of two hours per journey to reach the hospital at which I worked, and almost every day, without fail, I would witness a man or a woman on the ground swarmed by a plethora of paramedics aiming to help them regain their consciousness. It is a minute of spontaneity, a minute of mania, which causes these immature acts that so often end as a tragedy. Simply put, this must stop. This must stop now.

Of course, you might contend that driving at a younger age installs our teenagers with a sense of responsibility, a sense of responsibility that will allow them to flourish later on in life, be it in their professions or at home looking after their family. What’s more, alongside this responsibility, they will also be given a fantastically convenient method of transportation, which can be universally used to get from A to Z, whenever and wherever they want. To these critics I say this: there is nothing that driving teaches, which other, much less dangerous and much more befitting activities can teach to our youth just as well. Take, for example, charity work. By working together as a team in a charity organisation, we will not only be providing our younger generation with experience for future workplaces, but also, much like driving, a strong sense of responsibility to ensure they are keeping up to date with their specific roles within the organisation. Driving is often deemed to be symbolic of the first steps to adulthood, but the inescapable reality is that it has no place for such a young group of people. Albeit, I may be seemingly over passionate and degrading young drivers entirely, but it must be understood that this is not my intention. Instead, I merely wish to convey the importance of acknowledging this contemporary issue as well as the steps we can take to resolve it.

It is also outrageous that young drivers are immediately permitted to drive on densely populated areas straight after gaining their licence, including motorways and dual carriageways. A recent survey conducted in York revealed that approximately 56% of fatalities that have occurred with younger generations driving, have taken place in these regions. Were you aware of this? Did you ever stop to think or perhaps even acknowledge the existence of this issue? The likely answer is no. With the average speed of cars on the motorway conventionally being 60 mph, it is completely understandable that such a great deal of deaths by car accidents are occurring on a daily basis. After having experienced around 20 lessons with a driving instructor who was probably focused on their next client and maximising their income, of course these young people will not be ready for the road. It is not enough. It is often said that, ‘with age comes experience’ and the exact same principle applies to driving for younger generations. Being faced with adversity, with challenges, is what moulds a human being to ensure they do not make mistakes in the future, but if these young people have never been exposed to these challenges, the chances of failure when it comes to driving in real life, will have already multiplied.

It is unequivocally evident that this is true.

However, not all hope is lost; like resilient seeds amidst barren soil, it sprouts the potential for transformation inspiring to rise above this contemporary issue in our society and catalyse the change needed for a better future. And here, the change will come in the form of a careful review of the current legislation around the age you must be to be able to start driving- I believe you must be at least 21 years old to start. Currently, teenagers as young as 17 are legally allowed to start driving. You must agree that this is complete and utter lunacy. Young boys and girls, who have just started college, who are still undergoing puberty, who are still finding their way in life, are allowed to drive such a complex machine as a car. Do you genuinely think this is right? To quote the famous and honourable Barack Obama- ‘we are the change that we seek’. So, let us. Let us be that change. Let us work collectively as a joint unit, and protest so that we can make a permanent change to the age restrictions of driving. Let us prevent adding another number to the casualties, causing another mother to endlessly weep over the loss of their child caught in the midst of a dangerously busy road. Most of all, let us never hear of the death of a young man or woman by a car accident ever again. Let us make a change.

All in all this is really solid. There is a range of vocab (you do begin to repeat some words in the end like contemporary and lunacy so just be wary of that). I do think you need to take into consideration your writing type asw, the beginning did seem a bit like a speech. I'm going to assume who the writing is directed at are adults, usually the reader age range is given in the question, so in that case your writing is engaging, do keep in mind if this was for school children you'd have to slightly tweak it. Also, since it is for a newspaper do consider a title or subheading as this could lose you marks. There could have been a more personal anecdote which creates sympathy more effectively, but your use of data was successful.

Assuming the spag errors are because you typed this I'd give it a solid 30.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending