The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Hertfordshire Guest Lecturer
Prisons affect many lives and are very expensive to maintain, but it is equally important that justice is always served.

So how does UK’s current prison system work? Is it a deterrent of crime or a place for rehabilitation? Recently alternatives to prison have also been suggested, for example, more focus on community sentences for less serious offences that have attracted a custodial sentence. However, for some the need for retribution is a greater need than rehabilitation...

What do you think? Should prison be a punishment to deter crime, or a place for rehabilitation?

Kofi Odei Addo is a lecturer at the Hertfordshire Law School, University of Hertfordshire. He studied his PhD at the Department of Sociology, University of Essex, where he also worked as a teaching assistant.

Prior to coming to Essex, Kofi worked in a number of organisations; this includes the British Armed Forces, Logistics Organisation, and also within the Private Policing Sector. After an exemplary Military service (2001-2006), for his second undergraduate study, he read Criminology/Sociology at Anglia Ruskin University (2009), and at the University of Cambridge, Institute of Criminology, he took Criminological Research at Darwin College and obtained MPhil in 2010.

Kofi’s interest lies in, Policing (police confidence, corruption and legitimacy), Private policing, War Crimes, State Crimes, Psychology of Criminal Behaviour and Crime Control, Procedural and Restorative Justice, Cross-Cultural Criminology, Sociology of Prison Life, and Deviance and Social Control. In my spare time, listen to music, do a lot of DIY. I also have an interest in football, boxing, hockey, skiing and cooking.

both
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
In some cases it is to keep dangerous people away from society e.g. serial rapists and serial killers.
Original post by rebeccaxrss
this is very true the police officers they "trust" or family members & friends that come to visit can hand them items in a discreet way. lol its not as nice as it seems @davesantana you should watch some documentaries on prison life x

Original post by Anonymous
no they sneak in phones also they are allowed to "watch tv" during their free time which isn't very often. lmao the only reason it seems like the have phones and other rubbish is because its glamorised as that from prisons video on Instagram and also prisoners can pay police officers to sneak them goods such as phone etc..

my point still stands. rapists and murderers have a good time in prison which is meant to be a place of punishment.
Original post by davesantana
my point still stands. rapists and murderers have a good time in prison which is meant to be a place of punishment.

well you cant really do anything about it.. people can make fun out of anything so
One of my friends is an officer at a large prison.
The inmates know there are no significant sanctions to rule breaking inside. Drugs and phones etc are rife. The use of drones for delivery is more prevalent
Prisoners regularly use blackmail to get what they want. Threats to hurt themselves or others and wrecking the environment are regular occurrences when they don’t get their own way.
By the time someone is locked up nowadays they have probably been convicted of numerous offences and a sentence is a badge of honour. And have likely committed more offences they haven’t been caught for.
We need to tackle the roots of criminal behaviour to try to prevent crime. But prison itself is not tough enough
Perhaps a mixture of prisons (some for punishment, some for rehabilitation, some open prisons) should be used and inmates sentenced to a specific type of prison depending on the severity of their crime and if they show repentance? :hmmmm:
Original post by University of Hertfordshire Guest Lecturer
Prisons affect many lives and are very expensive to maintain, but it is equally important that justice is always served.
What do you think? Should prison be a punishment to deter crime, or a place for rehabilitation?

I'm aware about the rehabilitation programs but I think prison should be geared to deter crime. If offenders are in their 20s, going in 30s and they are aware about prison, if it deters crime, I think it should help them to stay out of prison and make their own decisions in life. So whenever offenders get released, get a job to maintain themselves, they can use their earnings to get a hobby, seek counselling or other support and feel awarded with the choices they make. I also think whatever they had to endure and put up in prison gets used in the real world to fit in society. I think they gather skills being on good behaviour and staying out of prison to be valued in society and anyone who doesn't see that, isn't seeing that.

I wouldn't think prison should be a place for rehabilitation programs because I think offenders would re-offend and use it as a way to get freebies when they go back and it worsen their offences until they're locked away for life. It doesn't solve what those programs are set out to achieve. Not even 50/50.

Some programs are disguised as punishment sometimes when offenders get out, another view I have to what's going on in prisons, so that's another point I want to get across.
I don't see why it can't be a deterrent AND rehabilitation, no one likes being rehabilitated, it's pretty horrible.

I'm also curious how many of the folk saying how easy prison is have ever been or even came close...or have just picked up the Daily Mails 'PRISON = HOLIDAY CAMP' ...without stopping to wonder that, if that were true, why didn't more folk go? :colonhash:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
i know that police, crime and prison statistics are complex and distorted for a variety of reasons, but the re-offending rate proves that prison is not a deterrence nor a place of rehabilitation. asking what prison 'should' be, imo, is like asking what you would do if you won a million pounds.

prison doesn't work but prison is a necessary evil for other reasons, such as keeping the public safe (temporarily); preserving public confidence in the justice system/government/general-public-safety; and satisfying the common belief that you shouldn't be able to hurt someone and get away with it. but prison does more for the general population that it does for the actual criminal.

we need to treat the root cause of crime if we want less of it, which is probably more expensive and why we don't do it as much as we should be. but prison is a plaster for a much bigger problem (sorry if that sounds too pessimistic at this hour in the morning :redface:).

''we need to treat the root cause of crime'': this sounds good. This is or must be the goal of our society - could this be achieved via the restorative justice system? To enable offenders understand and feel the effects their criminality on their victims? (Face to face encounter with victims of crime). As prison management cost a lot to run.
I'm aware about the rehabilitation programs but I think prison should be geared to deter crime. If offenders are in their 20s, going in 30s and they are aware about prison, if it deters crime, I think it should help them to stay out of prison and make their own decisions in life. So whenever offenders get released, get a job to maintain themselves, they can use their earnings to get a hobby, seek counselling or other support and feel awarded with the choices they make. I also think whatever they had to endure and put up in prison gets used in the real world to fit in society. I think they gather skills being on good behaviour and staying out of prison to be valued in society and anyone who doesn't see that, isn't seeing that.

I wouldn't think prison should be a place for rehabilitation programs because I think offenders would re-offend and use it as a way to get freebies when they go back and it worsen their offences until they're locked away for life. It doesn't solve what those programs are set out to achieve. Not even 50/50.

Some programs are disguised as punishment sometimes when offenders get out, another view I have to what's going on in prisons, so that's another point I want to get across.

Absolutely wrong. If you don't rehabilitate people how can you complain when they're released and turn back to crime? You can't sentence someone to X amount of years inside, give them absolutely no help or guidance to enable them to change their attitudes and behaviours and then be astonished when they're released only to end up back inside again. The whole point of these programs is to prevent recidivism, encouraging people to turn their lives around and become productive members of society.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
They should be both.

The deterrence should from the loss of freedom not the appalling conditions that lead to the rise of mental health problems and self harm. That should never be used as a punishment.

Rehabilitation is the key to reducing prison usage and ensuring that those who have offended can become productive members of society rather than being marginalised to be pushed back into crime.

This either/or mentality is part of the problem with our prison system. Politicians in power focus too heavily on the punishment leading to appalling human rights abuse and prison conditions that should not be seen in any society claiming to be civilised.

You said it better than I ever could :smile:
I think the question is inherently flawed, prisons shouldn’t exist and ideally have no place in society. They serve no function apart from maintaining systematic inequalities exacerbated by a flawed education system. And there is especially no justification for any of the prison systems maintained in the Western world. They don’t carry out any form of justice, it’s cruelty. Prisoners are denied their right to vote, are expected to live in dehumanising conditions, have very poor access to education etc. It doesn’t offer any deterrent against crime and certainly doesn’t protect the public from harm. The resources, time, personnel and money being wasted on the maintenance of prisons would be better off used to address the social elements that create crime. A rehabilitative system above all else with a goal of the eventual abolition of prisons can be the only answer.
(edited 4 years ago)
i think prison should be built more like rehab, at first it’s like a punishment because you can’t continue to do the crime you want to do, but after all the sessions, you start to feel remorse and realise why you did what you did. i also think prison inmates should be used in the community at a certain point and do the jobs no one else wants to do. it also helps to get ready for going out into the world.
prison needs to focus on helping those reintegrate with society. if you got busted for drug dealing and can’t find a job, you already know what prison is like. what’s the incentive to keep you out of prison? they need to help people get back into the routine of a normal life.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Absolutely wrong. If you don't rehabilitate people how can you complain when they're released and turn back to crime? You can't sentence someone to X amount of years inside, give them absolutely no help or guidance to enable them to change their attitudes and behaviours and then be astonished when they're released only to end up back inside again. The whole point of these programs is to prevent recidivism, encouraging people to turn their lives around and become productive members of society.

Not absolutely wrong, that's your harsh opinion sweetheart, it's been on the news that hospitals are getting the police to rehabilitate people to drag about around to restrain them when there was no wrong-doing because the medical services can't cope and are trying to hide that. Police's are actively not trying to arrest people, maybe fining them and even lowering fines to try to get people to understand not to break the law. Cautions or a warning or letter to the house. Whatever. I think it should be geared towards deterring crime. Can't have free rehab centres everywhere and using the force to shame people when arresting them using that as a wall to get them the free rehab. The service of rehabilitate also free, paid by government, get what you pay in terms of quality of rehabilitation. If offenders want to better themselves, I think they should earn to seek it, not go to jail for it. The deter not to go back should be able to drive them away from them.

No 50/50 between the two.
Not absolutely wrong, that's your harsh opinion sweetheart, it's been on the news that hospitals are getting the police to rehabilitate people to drag about around to restrain them when there was no wrong-doing because the medical services can't cope and are trying to hide that. Police's are actively not trying to arrest people, maybe fining them and even lowering fines to try to get people to understand not to break the law. Cautions or a warning or letter to the house. Whatever. I think it should be geared towards deterring crime. Can't have free rehab centres everywhere and using the force to shame people when arresting them using that as a wall to get them the free rehab. The service of rehabilitate also free, paid by government, get what you pay in terms of quality of rehabilitation. If offenders want to better themselves, I think they should earn to seek it, not go to jail for it. The deter not to go back should be able to drive them away from them.

No 50/50 between the two.

No need to patronise me, "sweetheart". Prisons should be a deterrent, but unfortunately they're not. That's the harsh reality. There's no reason why prisons can't be serve as a deterent and be able to rehabilitate people at the same time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
No need to patronise me, "sweetheart". Prisons should be a deterrent, but unfortunately they're not. That's the harsh reality. There's no reason why prisons can't be serve as a deterent and be able to rehabilitate people at the same time.

I really don't want to go to prison, they totally do serve as a deterrent. Not to everyone, but to an awful lot of people, yep, it does.
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
So we thought, let's have a discussion :wink:

yeah he could have done it without the snark unnecessary comment at the end
Original post by Sammylou40
It needs to be both.
The prison system needs investment.
The use of drugs and mobiles for example has to be stamped out. How I have no idea.
And bad behaviour inside needs punishment too. Proper punishment.

Prehaps having x-ray scanners to see if any vistor or staff have prohibited items?
Prisons/ YOI shoud be used for youngester, however there must be a change for the offender to get the recorded removed from the criminal database. This is prevents the person going in and out of prisons.

Latest

Trending

Trending