The Student Room Group

Private Candidates

Does anyone know any places that I can sit my GCSE English and Maths? I am going to be a private Candidate.
Original post by ci2
Does anyone know any places that I can sit my GCSE English and Maths? I am going to be a private Candidate.

Have you already sat them and failed to get at least a grade 5? If so, you can resit them for free at a local FE college which offers them.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Have you already sat them and failed to get at least a grade 5? If so, you can resit them for free at a local FE college which offers them.

I have looked the local FE Colleges but they want people got a grade D in both English and Maths.
Original post by ci2
I have looked the local FE Colleges but they want people got a grade D in both English and Maths.

So what did you originally get? And was this a long time ago or something?

Most centres which enter candidates for examinations will accept private candidates (so even if the FE college won't take you on the course - which is highly unusual, by the way - you can still take the examination as a private candidate there. You'd obviously need to pay the entry fee yourself in this case.
There are many places - however cost varies. I have previously sat exams as a private candidate in London - but again cost varies and some places are way too expensive.
Original post by fenellaxxx
There are many places - however cost varies. I have previously sat exams as a private candidate in London - but again cost varies and some places are way too expensive.

Hi,

I am based in London, whereabouts did you sit your exams, please? Thanks
Original post by SophiaBA2015
Hi,

I am based in London, whereabouts did you sit your exams, please? Thanks

I sat mine at a place in North London - it was a small place called “North London College”. The cost was significantly cheaper than others in London that I had looked at. I can send you the info of the place if you want it ?
I did a gcse privately last year in London, just googled gcse + London and found tons.
Aqa also did a list. Then emailed them all to check prices and check they did my subject.
Original post by fenellaxxx
I sat mine at a place in North London - it was a small place called “North London College”. The cost was significantly cheaper than others in London that I had looked at. I can send you the info of the place if you want it ?

Yes please, that would be great. Thank you!
I think it’s easiest to just phone round all the secondary schools near where you live and ask if they accept private candidates. Some will charge a lot but others will be quite cheap. You can phone FE colleges and ask the same thing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ci2

did you try ark exam centre? quite cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest