The Student Room Group

A level chemistry question

I've been coming across many questions involving the reaction of a hydrocarbon and bromine WATER. I'm confused about what the formula of Bromine Water is.
Is it just Br2(aq) or BrOH???
and what would the compound formed be called if... lets say... ethene reacts with bromine water?
Its Br2(aq). Ethene and bromine water forms 1,2 dibromo-ethane as the double bond is broken in the reaction. The water is not involved in the reaction
Original post by StolenKatana
Its Br2(aq). Ethene and bromine water forms 1,2 dibromo-ethane as the double bond is broken in the reaction. The water is not involved in the reaction

yes, that is what I thought as well but I was doing the Unit 1 JUNE 2012 past paper and the answer for one of the questions was ethane with a Br AND OH group.

This is incorrect. Adding bromine water to an alkene breaks the double bond like you mentioned, however, if you add it to ethene it just forms bromoethane and not '1,2 dibromo-ethane' - I'm not quite sure where you got that from. You cannot predict the number of bromine atoms that will displace the hydrogens so you just name it in a generic way.
Original post by Huckipity
This is incorrect. Adding bromine water to an alkene breaks the double bond like you mentioned, however, if you add it to ethene it just forms bromoethane and not '1,2 dibromo-ethane' - I'm not quite sure where you got that from. You cannot predict the number of bromine atoms that will displace the hydrogens so you just name it in a generic way.

No, i am correct. This is the reaction that takes place: eq-ethene-halogens-012-compressed.gif.jpeg

You may be confusing it with the reaction of ethene with HBr?
Original post by L I G H T
yes, that is what I thought as well but I was doing the Unit 1 JUNE 2012 past paper and the answer for one of the questions was ethane with a Br AND OH group.

Can you post the question? It might help to figure out why it happens like that
Can you post the question? It might help to figure out why it happens like that

the answer was CH2(Br)CH2(OH)
Original post by L I G H T
the answer was CH2(Br)CH2(OH)

I may not be correct but this is what i think happens. The bromine reacts breaking the double bond which forms a carbocation with one bromine attached and a Br- ion. A very small amount of water dissociates into H+ and OH- ions. As the OH- is more nucleophillic than the Br- it forms a bond with the carbocation to form CH2(Br)CH2(OH)

Quick Reply

Latest