The Student Room Group

Switching exam boards

Hey everyone!
I'm currently preparing for my IGCSE and I am taking exams under CIE.
But I was just wondering that since my foundation is under CIE exam board, how will switching to Edexcel A levels affect? Will there be much of a difference? If so, how?
Original post by Inanah
Hey everyone!
I'm currently preparing for my IGCSE and I am taking exams under CIE.
But I was just wondering that since my foundation is under CIE exam board, how will switching to Edexcel A levels affect? Will there be much of a difference? If so, how?

Not m much.
Just a different specification and you can compare the two.
Have you looked?
Reply 2
In England, the majority of people take GCSEs with a variety of different exam boards and then move onto A levels with a variety of different exam boards which are often not the same as the board(s) they took the GCSE in. It is virtually unheard of for someone to do all their GCSEs and A levels with the same board. Abroad it is slightly different, and there is a bigger gap between Edexcel IAL and CAIE, but it still shouldn't cause a problem.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Not m much.
Just a different specification and you can compare the two.
Have you looked?

I see. But no, I haven't compared yet. I am just asking in advance as I will be doing all that research after sitting my IGCSE's. Anyways thanks for replying!
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
In England, the majority of people take GCSEs with a variety of different exam boards and then move onto A levels with a variety of different exam boards which are often not the same as the board(s) they took the GCSE in. It is virtually unheard of for someone to do all their GCSEs and A levels with the same board. Abroad it is slightly different, and there is a bigger gap between Edexcel IAL and CAIE, but it still shouldn't cause a problem.

Thanks for your reply! And yes I am studying outside the UK, thus my curiosity.
Original post by Inanah
I see. But no, I haven't compared yet. I am just asking in advance as I will be doing all that research after sitting my IGCSE's. Anyways thanks for replying!

It is easier if you just compare specifications and then it becomes obvious on what you have studied v the way the different exam board handles the subject.

Compost picked up on the fact it was Edexcel International A levels as opposed to Edexcel UK A levels.

The specifications are here.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-advanced-levels.html

Switching exam boards should be nothing to worry about, especially as that will be all you will know for A level.

Quick Reply

Latest