The Student Room Group

Need some advice

So I am retaking my A Levels. The schools in my area including my own are not willing to accomodate me. So now I think that the only route is doing them online or going to an independent college. What would the value or weightage of predicted grades be from an independent college or online course ( where they would assess you online then give you an exam centre close to your home where you can sit your exams) to universities like Imperial, UCL or KCL?
Original post by pigeonwarrior
So I am retaking my A Levels. The schools in my area including my own are not willing to accomodate me. So now I think that the only route is doing them online or going to an independent college. What would the value or weightage of predicted grades be from an independent college or online course ( where they would assess you online then give you an exam centre close to your home where you can sit your exams) to universities like Imperial, UCL or KCL?

id say call those unis and ask im resitting too but through my old school and just go in for exams -what are u planning on retaking
Original post by user2928793
id say call those unis and ask im resitting too but through my old school and just go in for exams -what are u planning on retaking

Ayy a fellow retake student! I'm retaking all 3 of my subjects-maths chem and bio. My old school is overwhelmed and they say as they are a grammar school they don't have to accomodate me which is very nice of them
Ayy a fellow retake student! I'm retaking all 3 of my subjects-maths chem and bio. My old school is overwhelmed and they say as they are a grammar school they don't have to accomodate me which is very nice of them

what are u planning on retaking?
Reply 4

I’m planning on retaking too (A level Bio) and honestly I’m having the same dilemma- my 6th form doesn’t do resits and colleges near me can’t take students doing resits either. But for those unis I think it really depends on the course e.g. I know that KCL doesn’t accept resits for psychology but UCL does, so my best advice would be to check their website as they usually do have something there addressing resit students.
Original post by jj5_
I’m planning on retaking too (A level Bio) and honestly I’m having the same dilemma- my 6th form doesn’t do resits and colleges near me can’t take students doing resits either. But for those unis I think it really depends on the course e.g. I know that KCL doesn’t accept resits for psychology but UCL does, so my best advice would be to check their website as they usually do have something there addressing resit students.

Ouch yup apparently the main reason I found out later today was that because so many people are resitting gcse maths and english sixth forms are overwhelmed. So it sucks for us tbh they don't want a level resit students

i go to a grammar school too-and they didnt seem to care most likely because most students dont retake only a small group do usually -what exam board u doing for chem and bio-and i didnt mind alevels it was school so hopefully this year goes alot better for us.
Reply 7
What would the value or weightage of predicted grades be from an independent college or online course .......to universities like Imperial, UCL or KCL?

All Universities dont care where you take or retake your A levels - this doesnt have any impact on 'value'.
i go to a grammar school too-and they didnt seem to care most likely because most students dont retake only a small group do usually -what exam board u doing for chem and bio-and i didnt mind alevels it was school so hopefully this year goes alot better for us.

you are a lucky person! from my school many people are planning to retake all 3 like me :s-smilie:. for chem I am definitely going to stick with my old board OCR A and for bio I'm thinking of switching boards but not sure yet. Fingers crossed we ace those exams next year!
Original post by McGinger
All Universities dont care where you take or retake your A levels - this doesnt have any impact on 'value'.

I hope so! I might have to do mine online as the schools nearby are so full!
Update- I have managed to force a meeting with my school about my situation. Fingers crossed that they actually let me back otherwise I'm back to square one :s-smilie:
hopefully it goes well
Update- I have managed to force a meeting with my school about my situation. Fingers crossed that they actually let me back otherwise I'm back to square one :s-smilie:
hopefully it goes well

ahh thanks! they rejected me today, apparently scores of people from my year wanted to resit year 13 too, and they've only taken 2 people and basically ditched me big time

Quick Reply

Latest