The Student Room Group

How to have a stressful day - AMG Style

I work in a cinema. My job, until recently was Stand staff (popcorn, drinks) but I was promoted and am now....AMG, Party Planner.
The way a party works is an hour before/after in the party room and a film with all the popcorn and drinks the kids can manage to keep down. you are allowed 6-15 children.

My day at work - 10am to 6pm - 4 parties - All Way Too Close To Each Other!

11am - 17 kids arrive - 2 over the max. no allowed, and parents treated me like a slave. 11:30 15 children arrived for their party which is going into film first.
12:05 both parties are now in incredibles 12 o'clock. Party 1 needs popcorn, Party 2 needs popcorn + drinks.
12:15 having asked one of the 12 o'clock staff to make millions of popcorn bags up, I leave stand with very very full tray of popcorn...the popcorn maker shakes me and bye bye popcorn.
12:35 Sitting in party room about to cry. Having finally got both parties, 17 kids in one 15 in the other, their popcorn and drinks, the parents of the film first party and complaining the manager who has no idea what to say.
12:45 Last kid for the film first party who we thought had cancelled arrives 45 mins into the film.
1pm After grabbing 4 people, we manage to get the party room cleaned and ready for the next party.
1:05 I am very happy, the party is 6 little kids predict easy party.
1:20 proved wrong, popcorn fight!
1:55 Party 3 in film...am happy!
2:00 back to depression. film first party has come out and believing the party room is ready (because its empty) are in there, having balloon fight, having explained to the parents despite their film coming out at 2 they're party isn't until 2:20 because we have to clean and set it up...dad has another go at manager and mum repeats shambles shambles. This is made worst by the 11am party saying we haven't had ice cream - reply we got none at the moment!
2:20 got another girl to help with this party - things going well but not great.
2:45 I have had enough of this party, complains left, right and center, I go on break with leaving another girl in charge of the party.
3:20 return in good mood! my last party of the day has been set up in under 5 mins thanks to the speedy work of 2 stand staff, 1 cashier and a usher.
3:30 its 9 little girls...yeah!
3:40 resting against a wall...parents are treating me like a goddess, cake, drink and they are serving despite me saying I can manage. Happy again
3:50 in just 10 mins, one girl managed to lose a tooth and another managed to get a paper cut (on what???)
3:55 things going well, kids are playing games to hey baby, I sneak out to reserve seats, get ice cream which has been brought from Tesco.
4:05 searching for lighter
4:10 still searching.
4:20 Wow! Happy Birthday done Ice Cream done Last minute toilet done Refills done. Party paid for done! I must have forgotten something, must have, gotta have, reads checklist...nope nothing all done!
4:30. my last party is in for their film for the day and way on time, scream Yahoo! before returning to party room to clean it.
6:00 leave, tired!

I have to do to this for guess what - £3.60
a_musical_gal

I hope you mean £3.60 an hour. :tongue:
Reply 2
a_musical_gal

Heeh, theyre not allowed to pay me less than £4.20 or sommat :biggrin: BUt then again I lost my job so I'm just getting further into debt... not quite sure what im grinning at.
Dr. Blazed
I hope you mean £3.60 an hour. :tongue:

yeah...3 sodding 60
a_musical_gal
yeah...3 sodding 60

Doesnt sound like much of a job promotion to me :rolleyes:
these_apples

I didn't have much choice....smelly kids or smelly stand. One of ice holders, leaks melted ice which somehow turns orange and smells and nowa drain blocked. If health + safety arrived for a surprise visit we would be instantly closed down!

Its really does smell like puke + 3 week old milk + cracked rotten egg.
these_apples

Yeah, how crappy was your job before ?
Dr. Blazed
Yeah, how crappy was your job before ?

See my previous post.

The good points of being the Party Planner

1. I only have to work weekends during the time it takes to set up, hold and clean the party. After the last party and the room it cleaned, I may go home.

2. Free leftovers

3. No customers going..."a popcorn is how much???????!!!!" and "this place smells of puke" or "I dropped my popcorn all over the floor"

4. Free ice cream

5. A reason to still play pass the parcel. lol joking

6. I love kids..normally

7. More respect from Managers
Reply 8
£3.60/hour. christ.

i work for myself now building PCs and installing broadband and the like. set your own work, charge ur own price. tis more fun :smile:

i'd not like to work in a shop or something like that again, tho i fear i'll have to next year at uni to get some cash when im away from home.
Reply 9
I'm surprised you dont want to kill yourself when you see a bag of popcorn by now. :eek:
Reply 10
That sounds absolutely terrible. I'm surprised you didn't have a nervous breakdown. *feels immensely grateful that nothing like this had ever happened to me*
need_money
I'm surprised you dont want to kill yourself when you see a bag of popcorn by now. :eek:

'twas bad. When I was in that Party Room about to cry, the manager came in about to tell me what to do about the "complaining" party and saw me and the first she did was give me a big hug.
Reply 12
but yea...why are you working for 3.60...i mean come on. ur employers are taking u for a ride.
technik
but yea...why are you working for 3.60...i mean come on. ur employers are taking u for a ride.

Tescos turned me down.
Reply 14
well at least you have a nice manager! she could have fired you because of the complaints! that would have really done it!
CharleeB
well at least you have a nice manager! she could have fired you because of the complaints! that would have really done it!

yeah, except the most important part which I forgot to mention

The manager had said that morning, I'd be streched to my limits today and I would find it impossible so I should try my best and call her if I had problems. She also phoned the big boss the complain about his poor booking of the parties!

Latest

Trending

Trending