The Student Room Group

Organisation

I’ve heard a lot of people reccomend day folders. Instead of this would it work to have 3 notebooks per subject with a wallet for loose paper and then once a topic is finished to rip the notes out and put them in a at home lever arch file per subject?
There isn't a right or wrong way to organise your notes. If you feel that the way you have outlined above works best for you then go with it.

Why three per subject, out of curiosity?
Reply 2
Hi, thank you!!
Would you recommend a day folder organisation or notebooks then rip them out?

Oops I meant a notebook for each of the 3 subjects, not 3 notebooks per subject🤣🤣
Original post by S_stud3nt
Hi, thank you!!
Would you recommend a day folder organisation or notebooks then rip them out?

Oops I meant a notebook for each of the 3 subjects, not 3 notebooks per subject🤣🤣

Hi @S_stud3nt,

Back when I was doing my a-levels, I took three notebooks with me (one for each subject) and took a couple of the plastic wallets with the snap button on which I then used to hold any loose documents from in class. Then at home I had separate folders with most being lever arch due to the amount of paper provided. I found this the best way for myself and also limited how much was in my bag and how heavy it was.

However I know a lot of people used day folders however I found this unnecessary for myself and would confuse me. If you were doing this you would need quite a lot of plastic wallets as the holes that would allow you to put the paper in a folder tear easily especially if you are flipping back and forth.

Hope that helps, let me know if there are any other questions!:smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Reply 4
Thank you so much this is really helpful! Yes I agree the whole day folder idea confuses me and I think having lots of work on loose sheets of paper would stress me out!
So with your notebooks would you tear the pages out and file them in the folders at home once u finished a topic?
Thank you so much this is really helpful! Yes I agree the whole day folder idea confuses me and I think having lots of work on loose sheets of paper would stress me out!
So with your notebooks would you tear the pages out and file them in the folders at home once u finished a topic?

Genuinely, whatever works for you! There is no right or wrong way and try not to stress over it too much. It's likely that after a few weeks, and depending how your modules are taught, your methods will change! Mine used to be different for every module, purely because of how they were taught :smile:

No I had ring binder notebooks and just made sure I did like a title page per topic that was covered. My folders just held any documents provided in class that weren't required day to day.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:

Rebecca
Reply 7
Thank u!! How many notebooks did you need per subject? Like did all the content fit in one notebook?
Thank u!! How many notebooks did you need per subject? Like did all the content fit in one notebook?

I did geography (two notebooks for this so kinda one per year but I do have small handwriting so bare that in mind ahah), computer science (I think I had one for this and that was mainly for any notes or things I really needed to remember such as the way a certain calculation was done or if there was anything I didn't understand I wrote it a way I could), applied science (one or two from memory we did have to write quite a lot of notes in this as it was a BTEC). Lastly I did core maths for a year and I would say I filled up a maths exercise book this could include classwork and work I completed myself such as revision however a lot of the time we were given booklets to complete.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else :smile:
Rebecca
Reply 9
Ah ok perfect!! Did you revise from your notebooks or did you write up notes into flash cards etc?? (So sorry for so many questions)
Ah ok perfect!! Did you revise from your notebooks or did you write up notes into flash cards etc?? (So sorry for so many questions)

No problem, for computer science I wrote up notes from Isaac computer science as we didn't write many in class and then I was able to do the practice questions provided after I had learnt the topic to make sure I understood. For Geogrpahy I wrote up the notes into flash cards and then we were provided by our teacher with exam style practice questions so then I would complete them to make sure what I learnt I was then able to articulate into an answer.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know!
Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest