The Student Room Group

Studying

What is the best way to cram reviision for an exam next week?
Original post by J.wills

Hi, I'm year 11 and I just had mocks. So firstly, you should identify the biggest gaps in knowledge and understanding of the subject. Then on Youtube, I would go to Cognito if it's for maths and science or Mr Salles Teaches English for english and watch a video. After watching a video, blurt out everything that you remember on a sheet of paper/whiteboard. Then go back onto the video and make flashcards on any of the information that you missed out in blurting. You should go through these flashcards before bed and in the morning.

Also, you can write down random bits of information on post-it notes and stick them around your room/house. Doing a past paper then marking it afterwards is also really useful. Reading examiner's reports on the exam board's website is also useful because if loads of people got a specific question wrong, it will tend to appear on the next set of papers. Anyways, I don't recommed cramming as knowledge should build up into your long term memory over a longer period of time but I wish you luck in your exam :smile:)
Original post by J.wills

Here are the three main areas you should try and cover:

Understanding: watch a youtube explanation or read your revision guide/personal notes and try to understand the content. Refer to all the specification points when you make your summarised notes of that topic - if there are some specification points that aren't touched upon by your revision guide or the youtube explanation, you can search it up or refer to BBC Bitesize/PMT/MME revise

Retrieval: now try to see how much of your notes you can take in - you can blurt (so just braindump all the info you can remember from the top of your head to see how much content you've understood fully) or you can use prompt questions (e.g: if I was studying physics, a prompt question could be "what is the equation of ____")

Practice: now you have to apply what you've learnt to exam-style questions. Print out past paper questions that are specific to the topics you need to know for your exam and complete them under exam conditions (with a time limit) - if you think you have difficulty in time management, you could attempt some practice questions before-hand without a time limit until you feel comfortable enough (so for example completing cgp workbook questions or going on PMT or MME revise)

If you have homework or other stuff to do throughout the week that cut down your time, you can try to finish the understanding + retrieval bit in just a day and then set aside a whole day for just practice. The ultimate priority however, is getting yourself comfortable with exam-style questions - if you have time, you can add any questions you got wrong onto your notes so you learn from any mistakes too.

With cramming, it can be difficult to prevent getting yourself stressed, however, always think that whatever revision you do from now until next week will help you in your exam. So even if you don't get 100% of the revision done by the time your exam comes round, it's ok just try your absolute best and any hardwork you put in will be worth it!

Good luck for your exam!
Reply 3
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Here are the three main areas you should try and cover:

Understanding: watch a youtube explanation or read your revision guide/personal notes and try to understand the content. Refer to all the specification points when you make your summarised notes of that topic - if there are some specification points that aren't touched upon by your revision guide or the youtube explanation, you can search it up or refer to BBC Bitesize/PMT/MME revise

Retrieval: now try to see how much of your notes you can take in - you can blurt (so just braindump all the info you can remember from the top of your head to see how much content you've understood fully) or you can use prompt questions (e.g: if I was studying physics, a prompt question could be "what is the equation of ____")

Practice: now you have to apply what you've learnt to exam-style questions. Print out past paper questions that are specific to the topics you need to know for your exam and complete them under exam conditions (with a time limit) - if you think you have difficulty in time management, you could attempt some practice questions before-hand without a time limit until you feel comfortable enough (so for example completing cgp workbook questions or going on PMT or MME revise)

If you have homework or other stuff to do throughout the week that cut down your time, you can try to finish the understanding + retrieval bit in just a day and then set aside a whole day for just practice. The ultimate priority however, is getting yourself comfortable with exam-style questions - if you have time, you can add any questions you got wrong onto your notes so you learn from any mistakes too.

With cramming, it can be difficult to prevent getting yourself stressed, however, always think that whatever revision you do from now until next week will help you in your exam. So even if you don't get 100% of the revision done by the time your exam comes round, it's ok just try your absolute best and any hardwork you put in will be worth it!

Good luck for your exam!

i literally have a single day , 7 hours from now till my test of science and I have left it till the end...
i have biology cell chapter , chem atom and periodic table and phy speed
any advice pleaseee
Original post by Alm_xo
i literally have a single day , 7 hours from now till my test of science and I have left it till the end...
i have biology cell chapter , chem atom and periodic table and phy speed
any advice pleaseee

Hi - I'd say binge-watch freesciencelessons videos and make super concise notes on each topic (refer to the specification as you do it): this should take half an hour to an hour.

Then take a notebook, grab a pen and start doing as many past paper questions as you can from the relevant topic. This should take you one to two hours total. Then mark your answers - look at the areas you got wrong and look back at your notes and add anything to fill in any gaps.

Take another piece of paper and copy down all the content you can't recall well and any questions you got wrong and take that to school with you to look on before your test.

Quick Reply

Latest