The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is manchester safe ?

Hi,
I'm an international student. And I received an offer to study at Manchester in September. The uni is good, and the city looks cool. I saw that there were cheap rooms to rent in Rusholme, and it's close to the uni. But I saw as well that this neighboroud had bad reputation. What can you guys say ? Is it really that bad ? Or is it safe for a student to share a house there for at least 3 years ? For me, the place looks perfect, close to uni, and very cheap, but if i m risking my life every day by going to uni, it might no be worth it.
Original post by hecti001
Hi,
I'm an international student. And I received an offer to study at Manchester in September. The uni is good, and the city looks cool. I saw that there were cheap rooms to rent in Rusholme, and it's close to the uni. But I saw as well that this neighboroud had bad reputation. What can you guys say ? Is it really that bad ? Or is it safe for a student to share a house there for at least 3 years ? For me, the place looks perfect, close to uni, and very cheap, but if i m risking my life every day by going to uni, it might no be worth it.

Moved to Uni of Manc forum :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Hi,

I wouldn't say you'd be 'risking your life every day' ... but it's true that Rusholme is not as safe. That doesn't mean that the whole area is 'unliveable' of course. It really depends on which specific location you picked. Since you're an interntional student it's a bit harder to see for yourself, so maybe use GMaps to work out your route to uni. How close is your house to the bus stop? Use Street View to see the street that you might be on. If you're walking, what's the route going to be?

As a first year, and especially as an international student, you can apply for (and are guaranteed) uni accom. Many people do so for first year. It helps that you have a relatively safer environment (since the accom is managed by the uni) to settle down in, before you decide if you want to get your own student housing for subsequent years. Even if you were planning to live with friends, your group can also apply as a whole to uni accom - they might be able to get all of you in the same flat, for example.

South of Rusholme is Fallowfield - that's where lots of uni accom is. But there are also student houses there. It's not 100% safe either, but that's another option for you to consider. Or, if you have a higher budget, you can also consider private student accom in the city. Those will be safer than Rusholme.

Also worth considering is where you're coming from. If you're from a country that is much safer than the UK, then obviously you're gonna find that it'll be 'less safe' in Manchester as it is.
Poor and dangerous aren’t the same thing.

Just use common sense ( as I hope you would anywhere )
Reply 4
Original post by singzeon
I wouldn't say you'd be 'risking your life every day' ... but it's true that Rusholme is not as safe. That doesn't mean that the whole area is 'unliveable' of course. It really depends on which specific location you picked. Since you're an interntional student it's a bit harder to see for yourself, so maybe use GMaps to work out your route to uni. How close is your house to the bus stop? Use Street View to see the street that you might be on. If you're walking, what's the route going to be?

As a first year, and especially as an international student, you can apply for (and are guaranteed) uni accom. Many people do so for first year. It helps that you have a relatively safer environment (since the accom is managed by the uni) to settle down in, before you decide if you want to get your own student housing for subsequent years. Even if you were planning to live with friends, your group can also apply as a whole to uni accom - they might be able to get all of you in the same flat, for example.

South of Rusholme is Fallowfield - that's where lots of uni accom is. But there are also student houses there. It's not 100% safe either, but that's another option for you to consider. Or, if you have a higher budget, you can also consider private student accom in the city. Those will be safer than Rusholme.

Also worth considering is where you're coming from. If you're from a country that is much safer than the UK, then obviously you're gonna find that it'll be 'less safe' in Manchester as it is.

ok thanks a lot for all this information. I'll look into uni accomodation and so on... Thank you
Hi,

It might be worth checking this article out, it discusses how safe Manchester is compared to London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending