The Student Room Group

Which University is better?

Hello. I have gotten offer letters from Manchester Metropolitan, University of East Anglia and Sheffield Hallam University for the course Msc in Dietetics (Preregistration). I am an international student.
I wanted to know which university has supportive teaching staff, better return of investment and education.
I also wanted to know which place is safe and has low cost of living to study.
Do help me out in this!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello. I have gotten offer letters from Manchester Metropolitan, University of East Anglia and Sheffield Hallam University for the course Msc in Dietetics (Preregistration). I am an international student.
I wanted to know which university has supportive teaching staff, better return of investment and education.
Do help me out in this!!

If you intend to work in the UK, I think the salaries are the same irrespective of where you go because you would still be working for the NHS. If you want to work outside of the UK, then I don't know.

I can't say much about the teaching or education at either Manchester Met or Sheffield Hallam, but I can say UEA generally has supportive teaching staff and the education is good. Having said that, I am biased.

In terms of cost of living, I think it's safe to say anywhere up north is going to be cheaper than anything further south. However, UEA is also usually safe, and I never really had that many problems with Norwich. Manchester Met is based in Manchester, so I don't know how safe that is. I never really been up to Sheffield, so I can't tell you how safe it is up there.
Do help me out in this!!

Hey there!
I'm a student at Hallam and I think it's a great university to be at. It's been so easy for me to make friends and the university itself has given me plenty of opportunities to do so. My only complaint would be the student union but I don't use its services anyway and they've always seemed willing to take feedback on board as far as I'm aware. There's always something going on in the city whether it be cute markets in the city centre or student deals on drinks on nights out. I really like the city itself because it doesn't feel as daunting as somewhere like London or Manchester and once you get your head round it, its really easy to navigate and call home.

I can't speak for that course in particular but my lecturers have always been supportive. They answer their emails on weekends and they'll even schedule extra time for me outside of lectures if there's ever anything I'm stuck on. There's always opportunity to give feedback on learning as well and report back what works for you and what doesn't. There's also an abundance of equipment and technology to borrow if you ever needed anything and the staff there are always so helpful. I particularly find the essay workshops helpful and feel confident in my writing, more so than when I started university. The cost of living is actually better than other universities that I looked at at the time. I found the average cost of student halls was usually around £110 a week. This was last year however and I'm not sure if things have gone up now.

Usually you'll find in every city there's areas that are safe and areas that aren't. If there's any particular accommodations you're looking at, I could give you the run down on what the areas are like if you want? Or I could just list off the general areas to avoid. There isn't that many to be honest, it's not a bad city to live in.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 3
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!
I'm a student at Hallam and I think it's a great university to be at. It's been so easy for me to make friends and the university itself has given me plenty of opportunities to do so. My only complaint would be the student union but I don't use its services anyway and they've always seemed willing to take feedback on board as far as I'm aware. There's always something going on in the city whether it be cute markets in the city centre or student deals on drinks on nights out. I really like the city itself because it doesn't feel as daunting as somewhere like London or Manchester and once you get your head round it, its really easy to navigate and call home.

I can't speak for that course in particular but my lecturers have always been supportive. They answer their emails on weekends and they'll even schedule extra time for me outside of lectures if there's ever anything I'm stuck on. There's always opportunity to give feedback on learning as well and report back what works for you and what doesn't. There's also an abundance of equipment and technology to borrow if you ever needed anything and the staff there are always so helpful. I particularly find the essay workshops helpful and feel confident in my writing, more so than when I started university. The cost of living is actually better than other universities that I looked at at the time. I found the average cost of student halls was usually around £110 a week. This was last year however and I'm not sure if things have gone up now.

Usually you'll find in every city there's areas that are safe and areas that aren't. If there's any particular accommodations you're looking at, I could give you the run down on what the areas are like if you want? Or I could just list off the general areas to avoid. There isn't that many to be honest, it's not a bad city to live in.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions!

Thankyou so much for your input! I think it really helped in making up my mind.
Can you please the mentions the areas that I must avoid?
Also can you tell me if the university has facilities such as computer rooms for studying, career services, etc?
Do help me out in this!!

Hey there!

Congratulations on your MSc offer! I'm a Masters student at UEA, having also done my undergrad there, and I've only experienced excellent and supportive teaching and extra support from the Uni. It is obviously dependent on your course/ school in terms of teaching services but at UEA we have a Student Union Wellbeing team and University student services who are here to make sure you settle in comfortably and for any queries. Although I'm not an international student, I know that they is a great support network and community and everyone gets really involved in things course and social related for a great work-life balance.

As for return on investment and education, I would definitely say it definitely relates to how much time and effort you put in as well. My advice would be to get stuck in to all the opportunities that are presented to you because you can network and build an even stronger CV! We also have lots of accommodation options too on campus for a variety of budgets, although you can also find spare rooms and house share with our Facebook Housing Group if you would prefer to be off campus. There are also loads of job opportunities on campus, such as at the bar, shop or even as a student ambassador where they're flexible and work around you if you are looking to earn some money whilst studying to. Plus, lots of free activities to do! Such as the UEA broads, The Sainsburys Centre and student concession prices at the Sportspark. Norwich is also a really safe city, from my experience, and I personally feel comfortable walking around at night coming to and from campus and around the city but there're also frequent buses running until midnight.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!
Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership)
Thankyou so much for your input! I think it really helped in making up my mind.
Can you please the mentions the areas that I must avoid?
Also can you tell me if the university has facilities such as computer rooms for studying, career services, etc?

Hey there!
Thank you for your reply...

The areas I would say to avoid is Park Hill area and London Road area. So therefore accommodations to avoid would probably be Beton House. The Forge just sits on London Road but it's the nicer area and it's just outside an Aldi so it's a safe area to live. The university does have computer rooms. You're allowed to go and sit in any classroom throughout the day provided there's no teaching on. There's also two huge multi-floor libraries which have many rooms with computers in. There is a career service at city campus which is available throughout the week for 1 to 1 meetings and advice. You go online to 'MyHallam' to book your appointment. There is also multiple help desks in the main entrance of the main city campus building where you can go and basically ask them anything you want.

Hope this helped!
Reply 6
Hey just curious which school did you end up choosing? I am also looking into these programs for 2025!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending