The Student Room Group

Iran admits shooting down Ukrainian plane by mistake...

So they finally admit it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/11/iran-plane-crash-tehran-admits-unintentionally-shot-plane/?WT.mc_id=tmg_youtube_offsite_televideo-youtubevideo&utm_source=tmgoff&utm_medium=tmg_youtube&utm_content=offsite_televideo&utm_campaign=tmg_youtube_offsite_televideo-youtubevideo

"The Iranian military admitted it “unintentionally” destroyed the airliner, killing all 176 people aboard, and said air defence operators mistook the civilian aircraft for an incoming American cruise missile.

The abrupt U-turn early on Saturday came after several days of official denials of responsibility by the Iranian state and prompted Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to release a statement insisting he was not involved in misleading the world."

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I respect Iran for this. Only two days after the incident they promptly admit to having shot the plane down. No lies, no refusing to apologise, no trying to sweep the issue under the carpet as is normally the case when countries like the US shoot down passenger air crafts. Now Iran has to do whats right and do the families of this incident justice, provide them with satisfactory reparations for the damages that this mistake has caused these people...

These people will mostly rely on Iran for justice. They have no hope with the US who started this short conflict and so must be held responsible for all its disasters.
(edited 4 years ago)
https://mol.im/a/7876363
Iranians gather in Tehran to demand the resignation of the Ayatollah.
"Death to the liars"

BBC News - Iran plane crash: Demands for justice after admission jet was shot down
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51077788
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Just my opinion
"Death to the liars"

I’m confused. Did they lie at first or ??
Reply 4
Original post by Just my opinion
"Death to the liars"

O.m.g...there must be at least 40 people in that crowd!! Iran is up in arms people!! brace yourself for a revolution. Yeah, no. :P
(edited 4 years ago)
I mean, it was beyond obvious as soon as it happened that Iran had shot it down. Very shocked they're actually admitting to it though..
Reply 6
Original post by ساره

For days Iran have been putting out statements saying they were certain that the plane was not downed by It's own missiles when all along they knew they had shot it down.

They tried to cover it up, realised it was futile ..and then came clean
Original post by Pinkisk
O.m.g...there must be at least 40 people in that crowd!! Iran is up in arms people!! brace yourself for a revolution. Yeah, no. :P

Jeremy.....is that you?
Very disturbing how they had bulldozers on the crash site and wouldnt hand the black box over to international investigators.
They should have prserved the crash site and let the investigations be conducted by the experts.
Fine if they dont wnat the US involved but there are plenty of neutral countries that could have conducted it.
Likely we will never know now exactly what happened .

Tragedy.
Quite what sort of plane the sam operators though they were seeing is bemusing.
Original post by ساره

They denied it and dismissed it as US propaganda.
Ironically most western media were dismissing it as not a missile and that includeds US media.
Original post by 999tigger

Tragedy.
Quite what sort of plane the sam operators though they were seeing is bemusing.

One would assume that they'll never see an aircraft again... It'd actually surprise me if they're not already dead in a mass grave somewhere.
Reply 11
I know it's Iran, but I'm still surprised they kept up the lie for this long.
Original post by 999tigger
They denied it and dismissed it as US propaganda.
Ironically most western media were dismissing it as not a missile and that includeds US media.

Wow I’m honestly shocked that Iran has done that tbh. I don’t think it’s okay at all
Original post by Pinkisk
I respect Iran for this. Only two days after the incident they promptly admit to having shot the plane down. No lies, no refusing to apologise, no trying to sweep the issue under the carpet as is normally the case when countries like the US shoot down passenger air crafts. Now Iran has to do whats right and do the families of this incident justice, provide them with satisfactory reparations for the damages that this mistake has caused these people...

These people will mostly rely on Iran for justice. They have no hope with the US who started this short conflict and so must be held responsible for all its disasters.

What do you mean they will rely on Iran for justice? It was Iran who killed them?
At what point did the US shoot them down?
Well crazy if you believe the US was responsible? Had they infiltrated the republican guard?
They should hand over the investigation to international air investigators.
Original post by Tempest II
One would assume that they'll never see an aircraft again... It'd actually surprise me if they're not already dead in a mass grave somewhere.

Yep. I think its a shame there wont be a proper investigation. There were bulldozers on site within 48hrs. Sad for all the relatives who will wnat to know the truth of what happened.

Not sure giving the US several slaps has actually worked. I bet thats why Trump hasnt retaliated because he would rather Iran be in the spotlight and it plays well with his supporters. Certainly looks as though Iran are fearful of the US and the orange nutter.
Original post by Neilos
I know it's Iran, but I'm still surprised they kept up the lie for this long.

Think they realised there was too much evidence to muddy the waters. Better pr to get it out there and hope it dies down. GJH there werent significant Americans on that flight.
BBC News - Iran plane crash: Demands for justice after admission jet was shot down
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-5107778 8

It said flight PS752 had turned towards a "sensitive military centre" of the Revolutionary Guards, the force set up to defend the country's Islamic system, and had a "flying posture and altitude of an enemy target".

Even now Iran seems to be lying. The airliner was climbing. Cruise missiles are programmed to stay low to avoid radar and air defences.
Original post by Pinkisk
No lies, no refusing to apologise, no trying to sweep the issue under the carpet as is normally the case when countries like the US shoot down passenger air crafts.

Other than the multiple times they've said it wasn't them and the original refusal to allow anyone to join the investigation. Funny how the truth comes out now that they've asked everyone to get involved, guess they didn't want other countries confirming what was already known and they figured admitting fault would make them look better.

And let us not forget the statement by the Ukranian embassy which claimed to rule out to the possibility of a missile strike and instead blamed the downing of an ETOPS certified aircraft... On an engine failure... Likely fed from Iranian intelligence.

But uhhh... Yeah, other than that, no lies, no sweeping anything under the rug...
Reply 18
Original post by TheMcSame
Other than the multiple times they've said it wasn't them and the original refusal to allow anyone to join the investigation. Funny how the truth comes out now that they've asked everyone to get involved, guess they didn't want other countries confirming what was already known and they figured admitting fault would make them look better.

And let us not forget the statement by the Ukranian embassy which claimed to rule out to the possibility of a missile strike and instead blamed the downing of an ETOPS certified aircraft... On an engine failure... Likely fed from Iranian intelligence.

But uhhh... Yeah, other than that, no lies, no sweeping anything under the rug...

If Iran was pinocchio right now it's nose would probably stretch right to the shores of the US...
Original post by Tempest II
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-5107778 8

It said flight PS752 had turned towards a "sensitive military centre" of the Revolutionary Guards, the force set up to defend the country's Islamic system, and had a "flying posture and altitude of an enemy target".

Even now Iran seems to be lying. The airliner was climbing. Cruise missiles are programmed to stay low to avoid radar and air defences.

Experienced flight crew. Just sounds like a blunder and a cover up. The flight recorders will give the investigators the information, but ofc they have bulldozed the crash site, removed all the evidence and last time I heard were refusing to hand over the black boxes. Maybe the iranian people will ask to find out as they lost 130.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending