The Student Room Group

Coronavirus: UK moving towards 'delay' phase of virus plan as cases hit 115

Scroll to see replies

Yeah its not going to be contained now.

Personally I think the best thing to do, from a young person's perspective, is to avoid vulnerable people, and to not get ill with something else. Hospitals will surely be at breaking point for at least a few months.
Will schools and unis be closed as things get worse?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Will schools and unis be closed as things get worse?

It's a possibility.
There’ll be further updates likely from government in 10-14 days about the possible delay phase.
6th reported death.
It is now a pandemic.
Reply 26
Original post by Kutie Karen
It is now a pandemic.

In fairness it has been for a while. Although as far as big scary words being fairly meaningless go, the application of it here takes the biscuit.
Reply 27
How likely are you to die if you have it?
Original post by 3mmz
How likely are you to die if you have it?

Heavily depends on baseline state. Rate of death in over 80s is about 20%. Chances rise sharply if you have other medical conditions, including relatively minor things like mild asthma or diabetes.

There are examples of younger people without conditions dying though. According to reports coming out of Italy, if you are over 65 or have an underlying condition you aren't even being assessed for intubation and ventilation (breathing machines) because they are all taken by younger fitter people. https://www.thelocal.it/20200311/hospitals-are-overwhelmed-italian-doctors-describe-the-struggle-of-fighting-the-coronavirus-outbreak

But the chances of a young person without underlying conditions dying is indeed very low.
Reply 29
Original post by nexttime
Heavily depends on baseline state. Rate of death in over 80s is about 20%. Chances rise sharply if you have other medical conditions, including relatively minor things like mild asthma or diabetes.

There are examples of younger people without conditions dying though. According to reports coming out of Italy, if you are over 65 or have an underlying condition you aren't even being assessed for intubation and ventilation (breathing machines) because they are all taken by younger fitter people. https://www.thelocal.it/20200311/hospitals-are-overwhelmed-italian-doctors-describe-the-struggle-of-fighting-the-coronavirus-outbreak

But the chances of a young person without underlying conditions dying is indeed very low.

Man I need to be scared
I have asthma :frown:
So what happens If you come down with it - you just isolate and hope for the best? will you get admitted to hospital or given any medication to help?
Original post by 3mmz
Man I need to be scared
So what happens If you come down with it - you just isolate and hope for the best? will you get admitted to hospital or given any medication to help?

You isolate and hope for the best. There is no medication at the moment.

If you start getting breathless you can call 999/111 - the treatment hospitals can offer is oxygen, then mechanical breathing support including intubation (induced coma and tube down the throat) if they still have machines available. They might try antibiotics but that's probably hopeful. In your case they might try asthma treatments.

Its not reached this point yet and forms no part of any guideline here, but there may come a point where vulnerable people are asked to self-isolate to try to prevent them getting it.

You would still most likely be fine, of course. Just higher risk than the rest of us.
Original post by Greywolftwo
What I’ve seen in my research is that in Italy people are starting to get infected and are dying without any pre existing health conditions or old age.

Do you mind sharing some links of that info, or what you typed into google? Also I believe you said that there are quite a few cases in Italy of young people dying from it. But on this website: https://www.businessinsider.com/italy-coronavirus-old-population-cases-death-rate-2020-3?r=US&IR=T it says 0.2% for age groups 10-19, 20-29, 30-39 year olds, and I worked that out to be 1 person from each of those age groups...my maths isn't great though.
Reply 32
Original post by 3mmz
Man I need to be scared

As nexttime said if things started to go downhill you would likely be put on oxygen or a ventilator. Which is about the only thing they can do to help with the virus itself, bar other forms of supportive care such as antibiotics etc. for any secondary infections.
the maths says youre not likely to get it at this point though so i wouldnt be too concerned and just take the usual precautions such as washing your hands, not touching your face etc. etc.
If the outbreak does skyrocket though, again as nexttime noted, it wouldnt be a bad idea to quarantine yourself as a last line to avoid coming into contact with others who might have it.
However, speaking from my dads perspective (he is in the uber high risk group) he sees no particular reason to curtail his day to day activities yet but is going to speak to his doctor to see if they can render any medical advice on the matter. for the moment though? kbo as normal.
Reply 33
Original post by Napp
As nexttime said if things started to go downhill you would likely be put on oxygen or a ventilator. Which is about the only thing they can do to help with the virus itself, bar other forms of supportive care such as antibiotics etc. for any secondary infections.
the maths says youre not likely to get it at this point though so i wouldnt be too concerned and just take the usual precautions such as washing your hands, not touching your face etc. etc.
If the outbreak does skyrocket though, again as nexttime noted, it wouldnt be a bad idea to quarantine yourself as a last line to avoid coming into contact with others who might have it.
However, speaking from my dads perspective (he is in the uber high risk group) he sees no particular reason to curtail his day to day activities yet but is going to speak to his doctor to see if they can render any medical advice on the matter. for the moment though? kbo as normal.

Thanks for this

If you get it, and recover what does this mean for the future
Does that mean you will be immune from it if you were to get it again?
Reply 34
Original post by 3mmz
Thanks for this

If you get it, and recover what does this mean for the future
Does that mean you will be immune from it if you were to get it again?

Is essence yes, if you were to get it and recover from it then you'd have antibodies for the future, likely making it less bad next time you get it - assuming this becomes a season thing and it doesnt burn itself out
Original post by Napp
Is essence yes, if you were to get it and recover from it then you'd have antibodies for the future, likely making it less bad next time you get it - assuming this becomes a season thing and it doesnt burn itself out

Patients in Japan have been re-infected and experts say it’s possible to get it twice. So more investigation will be needed 🙇🏻*♀️
Reply 36
Original post by lost.soul
Patients in Japan have been re-infected and experts say it’s possible to get it twice. So more investigation will be needed 🙇🏻*♀️

Where have they, sorry?
Original post by Napp
Where have they, sorry?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2%3famp

There’s many more reports saying as it’s a new virus, nothing is impossible and only time will tell.
Reply 38
Has anyones uni's closed?

My uni is suspending teaching from the 23rd March until 20th April.
So much overreaction in the UK it's concerning. Ok coronavirus is a real thing and I'm concerned about the state of the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. But young people with no underlying conditions are safe. Sorry but this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion by the media. The common cold is a coronavirus. Healthy adults are only likely to experience mild cold/flu symptoms and that's it. If the media care about the coronavirus this much, then why wasn't there the same publicity and coverage for swine flu and zika virus.

By all means keep yourselves and your loved ones safe, but don't panic, especially in the long haul. Until extreme draconian measures get taken within the UK and people are confined to houses and cannot leave them, I'm not fussed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending