The Student Room Group

2.1 BEng vs 3 MEng

Hi, I've seen similar questions before but never exactly one like my case. In my final year (Master's level modules) I failed a lot of my subjects and I ended up not covering the requirements for an MEng. My average is about 55% which would've been a 2.2 MEng if I passed my required modules. It seems like my university has awarded me an MEng through an extenuating circumstances procedure, however instead of a 2.2 it is a 3rd Class MEng with an average of 55%. I'm almost sure I can ask to be awarded a BEng degree instead since I didn't fail those modules and I completed a FYP that's for both MEng and BEng students. The good thing is that my average would raise to 60.5% in that case, which would be a 2.1 degree.

My question is which would be a better qualification to obtain; a 3rd MEng or a 2.1 BEng? I am planning on moving out of the UK so I will not be studying or working in the UK, I will be in Europe and I may be working and/or pursuing another Master's abroad. What I have read is that MEng degrees are not seen as a "proper" Master's degree outside of the UK and I'm thinking that if that's the case and I will be seen as an undergraduate I might as well take the Bachelor's with a significantly better grade. So my questions are the following:

In case I do decide to stay in the UK, which degree is better for work, postgrad studying or both?
In case I move to Europe which degree is better for work, postgrad or both?

If you have any other arguments for one or the other apart from future opportunities for studying and working here and abroad I'd also like to hear those, since I have a week to decide which qualification I would like to receive.

Thank you!
Reply 1
A 2.1 BEng is definitely better than a 3rd Class MEng for employment. Having a 3rd Class MEng could be seen as a little questionable by potential employers.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've seen similar questions before but never exactly one like my case. In my final year (Master's level modules) I failed a lot of my subjects and I ended up not covering the requirements for an MEng. My average is about 55% which would've been a 2.2 MEng if I passed my required modules. It seems like my university has awarded me an MEng through an extenuating circumstances procedure, however instead of a 2.2 it is a 3rd Class MEng with an average of 55%. I'm almost sure I can ask to be awarded a BEng degree instead since I didn't fail those modules and I completed a FYP that's for both MEng and BEng students. The good thing is that my average would raise to 60.5% in that case, which would be a 2.1 degree.

My question is which would be a better qualification to obtain; a 3rd MEng or a 2.1 BEng? I am planning on moving out of the UK so I will not be studying or working in the UK, I will be in Europe and I may be working and/or pursuing another Master's abroad. What I have read is that MEng degrees are not seen as a "proper" Master's degree outside of the UK and I'm thinking that if that's the case and I will be seen as an undergraduate I might as well take the Bachelor's with a significantly better grade. So my questions are the following:

In case I do decide to stay in the UK, which degree is better for work, postgrad studying or both?
In case I move to Europe which degree is better for work, postgrad or both?

If you have any other arguments for one or the other apart from future opportunities for studying and working here and abroad I'd also like to hear those, since I have a week to decide which qualification I would like to receive.

Thank you!

Are you likely to need/want to apply for Chartered Engineer status at any point in your career?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Are you likely to need/want to apply for Chartered Engineer status at any point in your career?

I'm not sure yet, what would be better if I did want to apply for it?
Original post by Anonymous

You'd need to look into the exact engineering body you'd want CEng from but generally MEng graduates will have lower professional work experience requirements to get CEng status than BEng.

See https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/chartered-engineer for an example. MEng plus professional competency is enough. BEng would require either a freestanding masters or substantial experience and professional training
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

Original post by PQ
You'd need to look into the exact engineering body you'd want CEng from but generally MEng graduates will have lower professional work experience requirements to get CEng status than BEng.

See https://www.imeche.org/membership-registration/become-a-member/chartered-engineer for an example. MEng plus professional competency is enough. BEng would require either a freestanding masters or substantial experience and professional training

Well since I'm almost certain that I will be pursuing a Master's level postgraduate degree in the future I am leaning towards the option of taking the 2.1 BEng qualification and earning an MSc later on. From reading that I gather that I will still be considered competent just as much as someone having an MEng.

Another question: If I obtain an engineering Master's degree from an EU country would that be recognised in the UK and would I be seen as eligible for CEng?
Reply 6
Definitely go with 2.1 BEng

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending