The Student Room Group

What are your travel hacks for short trips overseas?

One of our team recently went overseas for 24 hours but knowing that plans can change or delays can happen, they thought ahead and booked travel insurance for an extra day.

It took the stress out of the trip, particularly knowing that if the 'what if' situations happened they'd be covered.

:insert:
My best hacks for a short getaway would be saving money on the small things so you can enjoy yourself more out there!

💦bring an empty water bottle to the airport (and fill it up after security)

💳use a travel credit/debit card

🏥a valid EHIC/GHIC card just in case something goes wrong, this can save time & money and help you get back on track with your spontaneous getaway

👕wear your layers so there's more space in your carry on (who knows how much shopping you can do in 24 hours)

🎙️talk to everyone, the flight, the bus, the hostel/hotel, the best recommendations come from others
My travel hacks involve thorough preparation, especially for solo trips, to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience. Essential items on my checklist include:
1. A travel map to stay on the right route.
2. Seeking affordable flights to save for other expenses.
3. Advance bookings for preferred hotels and flight seats to avoid disappointments.
4. Carrying a portable charger as a backup power source.
5. Packing a travel first aid kit, anticipating unforeseen accidents.
Reply 3
If you're in, for example, Europe, take a UK extension lead for your stuff and just one EU adapter for the extension. Much more practical.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Travel Aware
One of our team recently went overseas for 24 hours but knowing that plans can change or delays can happen, they thought ahead and booked travel insurance for an extra day.

It took the stress out of the trip, particularly knowing that if the 'what if' situations happened they'd be covered.

:insert:

I don't travel abroad much, but when I got my travel policy I'm pretty sure it automatically covered the extension to the trip if it was caused by delays. But it wouldn't have covered a change in plans. Obviously it does pay to check the wording of the policy to see what the situation is with the policy that is being bought.
Reply 5
Original post by AMARI.DHAUS
My best hacks for a short getaway would be saving money on the small things so you can enjoy yourself more out there!

💦bring an empty water bottle to the airport (and fill it up after security)

💳use a travel credit/debit card

🏥a valid EHIC/GHIC card just in case something goes wrong, this can save time & money and help you get back on track with your spontaneous getaway

👕wear your layers so there's more space in your carry on (who knows how much shopping you can do in 24 hours)

🎙️talk to everyone, the flight, the bus, the hostel/hotel, the best recommendations come from others

The EHIC/GHIC card is specifically for obtaining state healthcare in the EU/EEA/Switzerland. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-residents-visiting-the-eueea-and-switzerland-healthcare. It's not a generic "just in case something goes wrong" card. And it's definitely not a substitute for travel insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest