The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Maths at Edinburgh or UCL?

Hi everyone. I received offers for applied maths at University of Edinburgh and maths&stats at UCL. I personally prefer the courses in UoE while UCL seems to rank higher and is more well-known internationally. I plan to do mathematical biology if I choose UoE. Any advice?
Reply 1
Well I never applied to UCL and did apply to Edinburgh as I didn’t want to live in London but wanted to live in a city. I think UCL has a slightly better reputation but Edinburgh ranks high on QS world rankings too (after Oxbridge and a few London ones). I’d suggest looking into the courses at each uni and the places themselves as you’re more likely to do better at the university your happiest at, and the class of degree will matter more than the uni as they’re both prestigious Russel group unis. Also look at career prospects for each course, as mathematical biology will likely have some different opportunities to pure mathematics.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Em.-.
Well I never applied to UCL and did apply to Edinburgh as I didn’t want to live in London but wanted to live in a city. I think UCL has a slightly better reputation but Edinburgh ranks high on QS world rankings too (after Oxbridge and a few London ones). I’d suggest looking into the courses at each uni and the places themselves as you’re more likely to do better at the university your happiest at, and the class of degree will matter more than the uni as they’re both prestigious Russel group unis. Also look at career prospects for each course, as mathematical biology will likely have some different opportunities to pure mathematics.

Thanks for your advice! Did you end up going to Edinburgh?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your advice! Did you end up going to Edinburgh?

Nope. It was my second choice. I went with one of the Oxbridges. :smile: I’d consider doing my phd there if they offer one that interests me.

But yeah just look into the cities, the courses and the unis themselves, and ask yourself what things matter most to you and compare them.
Reply 4
Original post by Em.-.
Nope. It was my second choice. I went with one of the Oxbridges. :smile: I’d consider doing my phd there if they offer one that interests me.

But yeah just look into the cities, the courses and the unis themselves, and ask yourself what things matter most to you and compare them.

Yeah I will do more research:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending