The Student Room Group

uni advice for comp sci?

I've applied to these unis with 4A* predictions:
-Manchester (received offer)
-Cambridge (will most likely be rejected after TMUA)
-Imperial (depends on STEP performance)
-Edinburgh
-UCL
say I get into UCL, Edinburgh and Manchester, is there anybody from these unis that could suggest which might be my best option? I'm also debating taking a gap year to reapply next year for Cambridge/Imperial but would this be worth it if I get these offers?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by vio19
-Edinburgh
-UCL
say I get into UCL, Edinburgh and Manchester, is there anybody from these unis that could suggest which might be my best option? I'm also debating taking a gap year to reapply next year for Cambridge/Imperial but would this be worth it if I get these offers?

x4 A*s! Good luck with those.

What is your 5 year plan? That needs to inform what you do and where you go. Cambridge and Oxford no doubt offer an amazing university academic experience, but if you are looking to study computer science you might not necessarily be as employable as you might think. There is a heavy theory and maths component to the courses at Oxbridge - the entrance exam is a maths paper, not a computing one for example. So depending on what you want to do after university will dictate what the most appropriate course is.

Finally - go and visit these places. I live in Manchester and work just around the corner from it and have had various visits despite not studying there. It doesn't float my boat. Too big, not particularly good teaching and dines out on 1824 like it is going out of date. By contrast MMU put a huge effort into learning extras, pastoral support and student resources. I know where I am likely to do my masters in a couple of years and it isn't Manchester.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
x4 A*s! Good luck with those.

What is your 5 year plan? That needs to inform what you do and where you go. Cambridge and Oxford no doubt offer an amazing university academic experience, but if you are looking to study computer science you might not necessarily be as employable as you might think. There is a heavy theory and maths component to the courses at Oxbridge - the entrance exam is a maths paper, not a computing one for example. So depending on what you want to do after university will dictate what the most appropriate course is.

Finally - go and visit these places. I live in Manchester and work just around the corner from it and have had various visits despite not studying there. It doesn't float my boat. Too big, not particularly good teaching and dines out on 1824 like it is going out of date. By contrast MMU put a huge effort into learning extras, pastoral support and student resources. I know where I am likely to do my masters in a couple of years and it isn't Manchester.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Ultimately employability is definitely important but I am predominantly looking to learn as much as possible during my degree. Manchester was actually one of my favourite choices in terms of the course content and social life but I'm not sure if it has the international prestige (I'm hoping to work overseas) that Cambridge/Imperial have so I need to balance it out.

I hope you enjoy your masters!
Reply 3
Original post by vio19
-Edinburgh
-UCL

Woah 4A* is really gonna put u up there so I think grades wise you should be fine. Because UCL doesn't require any entrance exams or interviews for CS your personal statement should be really good. I've also applied to CS at UCL (no offer duh) but I applied with A*A*A and the UCAS officer in my school said I most likely would get an offer so with your 4A*s I'm sure you will do fine. For the 3 unis you talked about UCL seems to be the best of the three especially since its a russel group Uni and a Uni of london. It has a good reputation and everybody knows the name especially employers. I would personally choose UCL. Ive heard Imperial is kinda depressing and sucks the life out of you, yes itll give you a good education but its down to u at the end of the day which uni you want to be associated with.
Reply 4
Original post by rishim
Woah 4A* is really gonna put u up there so I think grades wise you should be fine. Because UCL doesn't require any entrance exams or interviews for CS your personal statement should be really good. I've also applied to CS at UCL (no offer duh) but I applied with A*A*A and the UCAS officer in my school said I most likely would get an offer so with your 4A*s I'm sure you will do fine. For the 3 unis you talked about UCL seems to be the best of the three especially since its a russel group Uni and a Uni of london. It has a good reputation and everybody knows the name especially employers. I would personally choose UCL. Ive heard Imperial is kinda depressing and sucks the life out of you, yes itll give you a good education but its down to u at the end of the day which uni you want to be associated with.

This was really helpful thank you and I did get a similar impression from Imperial actually when I visited. UCL would definitely be a strong option either way. Good luck with your application !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending