The Student Room Group

AMA -Sociology & Criminology

Hello everyone!

I am a third year Sociology & Criminology student at Bournemouth University. If anyone has any questions about the course please feel free to ask! I know that lockdown must be making uni/course decisions that little bit harder 🙂
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I have applied for this course at a different uni. I was wondering what you thought about the course, if you enjoyed it and what you modules you do etc. Also does it lead to many career options? Thank you so much!
Reply 2
Original post by ella.ch
Hi, I have applied for this course at a different uni. I was wondering what you thought about the course, if you enjoyed it and what you modules you do etc. Also does it lead to many career options? Thank you so much!

Hello! Sorry for the late reply. I've really enjoyed the course to be honest. Was doing Advertising for a year beforehand and hated it. I'm not sure if you have done Sociology at A-level before? If you have, the first year (for me at least) was general theory stuff, some of which you might already know, but in more detail and with more added. It can seem a little dry but it really does help in the following years, and for me it was a smooth introduction for what was to come. I enjoyed the second and third year very much - we had a module called Crime, Health and Society which was AMAZING and probably my all time favourite unit. It definitely does get better, especially when you get to pick units that you really like the sound of. As for careers... there is a lot you can go into. At my uni we've had people go into journalism, social research, marketing... I am not sure what to do so am carrying on to do a Masters at a different university. You'll get people saying that it's a 'mickey mouse' degree, but it's so varied and more difficult than those people think it is.

I hope you enjoy your uni experience, and I'm here if you have any more questions!
Reply 3
Original post by emiloujess
Hello! Sorry for the late reply. I've really enjoyed the course to be honest. Was doing Advertising for a year beforehand and hated it. I'm not sure if you have done Sociology at A-level before? If you have, the first year (for me at least) was general theory stuff, some of which you might already know, but in more detail and with more added. It can seem a little dry but it really does help in the following years, and for me it was a smooth introduction for what was to come. I enjoyed the second and third year very much - we had a module called Crime, Health and Society which was AMAZING and probably my all time favourite unit. It definitely does get better, especially when you get to pick units that you really like the sound of. As for careers... there is a lot you can go into. At my uni we've had people go into journalism, social research, marketing... I am not sure what to do so am carrying on to do a Masters at a different university. You'll get people saying that it's a 'mickey mouse' degree, but it's so varied and more difficult than those people think it is.

I hope you enjoy your uni experience, and I'm here if you have any more questions!

Hi im sorry i am so late to read this! This answer has really helped me, feeling alot more prepared and excited for uni now! thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
Hello everyone!

I am a third year Sociology & Criminology student at Bournemouth University. If anyone has any questions about the course please feel free to ask! I know that lockdown must be making uni/course decisions that little bit harder 🙂
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Hi. not at the same uni but I have an essay comparing how the contributions both Marx and Weber made to an understanding of modern society and capitalism? Do you have any tips? In particular should most of my references be from original texts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending