The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Film Production and Theatre or Film, TV and English

Hey there, I have a more detailed post about my situation in case anyone is interested (would be great if you could check that out!) but wanted to ask here whether someone has experience with these subjects? Also, how is studying and living there in general? How affordable is it to live in Uxbridge as an EU student? I would obviously have to work part time whilst studying, does anyone have experience with that? Any tips?
Thanks already!
Original post by claralu
Hey there, I have a more detailed post about my situation in case anyone is interested (would be great if you could check that out!) but wanted to ask here whether someone has experience with these subjects? Also, how is studying and living there in general? How affordable is it to live in Uxbridge as an EU student? I would obviously have to work part time whilst studying, does anyone have experience with that? Any tips?
Thanks already!

Hey.

I study film production at Brunel. I'm in my 3rd year. I live local to the university (about 10min drive). One thing I would say... are you looking for a practical course or one that is more academic/theory based. If it is the latter, then Brunel is for you. Personally, I wanted a more practical course. I wanted a course where we learnt about the different aspects of film production such as colour grading, advanced cinematography, sound production, creating great characters, scriptwriting, etc...

Instead we do loads of theory stuff like looking at different film and TV genres, world cinema, how people are represented on screen. Film through time.

Not that theres anything wrong with those subjects, it's just if that's not what your looking for, you wont enjoy the course there. I felt I've wasted my time and money since it's not what I wanted and I'm basically teaching myself all the things I wanted to learn.

If you want a more practical course I'd recommend somewhere like Portsmouth, LSBU, university of the creative arts, etc. I original applied to those and even got an unconditional offer from LSBU which I even accepted. But due to my circumstances at the time, I had to cancel that offer and go for Brunel.

As for the area, Uxbridge is ok. The immediate area around the campus is MEH. The town itself is about a 10-15 min bus journey from the campus. It's an okay town, it's got 2 small shopping centers there. You have the usual restaurant chains: Nandos, chiqitous, zizzis, Pizza Express, ask, wagamamma, etc. They have an odeon with a 3d imax screen (altough it can be pricey depending on what you are used to. Adult tickets can cost around £13. Students are around £12).

I'm personally not sure how much it costs to live out but I hope the rest of what I mentioned is useful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, i am assuming you have successfully graduated from Brunel. Do you feel you are able to make films, or a documentary? Have you been able to get a job in the film industry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending