The Student Room Group

Is a film studies degree a waste of time

I'm currently applying in my gap year to go to university in 2024 and think I've settled on doing a film studies degree. I know I want to work in the creativity industry I just don't know where specifically yet. I've always had an interest in film and did a film related extended diploma the past two years. I also really want to fine tune my writing skills as I've always had a passion for writing too.

I just don't know whether a film studies degree is a waste of time and just throwing money away. I could see myself working in something like journalism, screen/stage writing or even something like magazine design and I don't know if employers would see a film studies course as appropriate.
For the sorts of careers you’re interested in then a theory heavy film studies course would be an ideal choice.
Reply 2
Original post by fredsand4
I'm currently applying in my gap year to go to university in 2024 and think I've settled on doing a film studies degree. I know I want to work in the creativity industry I just don't know where specifically yet. I've always had an interest in film and did a film related extended diploma the past two years. I also really want to fine tune my writing skills as I've always had a passion for writing too.

I just don't know whether a film studies degree is a waste of time and just throwing money away. I could see myself working in something like journalism, screen/stage writing or even something like magazine design and I don't know if employers would see a film studies course as appropriate.

I think it's a waste of time. I studied creative media at college but there was a lot of emphasis on film. This was really good since it covered all the fundamental areas of film and taught the foundations.

I went on to study film production BA at university. Pretty much wasted 3 years of my life. All the stuff they taught was either stuff I already learnt at college or in my spare time. Additionally, my uni (brunel) was teaching wrong. What I mean by this is that the tutor was making out that in order to achieve slow motion footage, you decrease the shutter speed. This is Bull. Shutter speed effects motion blur. Slow mo is achieved by shooting in a higher frame rate.

Anyway, I digress...the stuff they were teaching at uni is soooo easily accessible either through a good college course and also just youtube and google.

It's been 2 years since I graduated and my advice would be that if you are keen to go to uni to get a degree, then pick a course which has transferable skills. For instance if you like writing, rather than doing a scriptwriting degree, perhaps do something like english literature. This way the degree is transferable into different industries.

Side note: This is what Christopher Nolan did at uni, he studied English Literature and picked his particular uni due to the certain types of equipment he would have access to if he enrolled.
Original post by Makijuice
I think it's a waste of time. I studied creative media at college but there was a lot of emphasis on film. This was really good since it covered all the fundamental areas of film and taught the foundations.

I went on to study film production BA at university. Pretty much wasted 3 years of my life. All the stuff they taught was either stuff I already learnt at college or in my spare time. Additionally, my uni (brunel) was teaching wrong. What I mean by this is that the tutor was making out that in order to achieve slow motion footage, you decrease the shutter speed. This is Bull. Shutter speed effects motion blur. Slow mo is achieved by shooting in a higher frame rate.

Anyway, I digress...the stuff they were teaching at uni is soooo easily accessible either through a good college course and also just youtube and google.

It's been 2 years since I graduated and my advice would be that if you are keen to go to uni to get a degree, then pick a course which has transferable skills. For instance if you like writing, rather than doing a scriptwriting degree, perhaps do something like english literature. This way the degree is transferable into different industries.

Side note: This is what Christopher Nolan did at uni, he studied English Literature and picked his particular uni due to the certain types of equipment he would have access to if he enrolled.

OP isn’t planning on studying film production or any of the careers linked to making films.

Film studies degrees are completely different to film production and based on critical analysis of film as a media - exactly the sort of skillset OP would want and need for the sorts of careers they’re considering. (Also fwiw even if you DO want to get into directing I don’t think following the career path of a privately educated 50+ year old with parents in the creative industries is likely to be particularly helpful to launch the career of 17/18 year olds without those advantages)

It’s good to get feedback about specific degrees. Is there a reason you chose to study at Brunel and not a CILECT member film school?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
OP isn’t planning on studying film production or any of the careers linked to making films.

Film studies degrees are completely different to film production and based on critical analysis of film as a media - exactly the sort of skillset OP would want and need for the sorts of careers they’re considering. (Also fwiw even if you DO want to get into directing I don’t think following the career path of a privately educated 50+ year old with parents in the creative industries is likely to be particularly helpful to launch the career of 17/18 year olds without those advantages)

It’s good to get feedback about specific degrees. Is there a reason you chose to study at Brunel and not a CILECT member film school?

Not sure where you got your info regarding Nolan....he studied at university college london. As for his parents, his dad worked in advertising and his mum was a flight attendant. If you watch his interviews and read his biographys, he clearly was the average joe like us just working a job and making movies in his spare time.

Anyways, not in an offensive way but I always come across someone online who always vouches for CILECT member film schools. They always seem to have a very bias opinion when it comes film school. And almost always disregard the opinions of those who speak out against film school. But I'm hoping this time is different and we both have a meaningful conversation.

There are some big time directors who went to film school. There are also many greats who didn't go to film school. But in todays day and age, film school is an outdated concept. The knowledge (even if he is studying film studies) can easily be learnt online. My film production course even spent year 1 doing film studies. The content taught is nothing unique to university. It's just general stuff like looking at the origins and history of film, representation in film, marketing, etc. All this sort of stuff I covered in my college course. A good college course can teach you all these things and depending on your age, the course may even be free.

Realistically, OP would be going to university to make connections. But why should OP spend £30K+ in student debt to make connections when there are many fairs and networking events all year round such as the ones the BFI host.

At the end of the day, this is just my view based on what I and many other people I know have experienced.

As many in the industry say (and what I've witnessed myself in the last 2 years), "It's more about who you know than what you know".
Reply 5
Why not focus on fine tuning your writing skills first?

I'm a mature student and I've started the 2 year HND in Film and TV, I can then do a 1 year BA. The course is excellent, you have to learn everything from the first idea to selling a film. It's hands on so you actually learn most jobs in the film industry.

We are making a Horror Film and a game show after Christmas. You have access to all the industry standard equipment and are encouraged to take the equipment home to practice.

Since September we have, pitched film ideas, learnt about scripts, cameras, green screens, editing, lighting, filmed a short for the local council and the list goes on and on....

At the end of the HND course you will be employment ready, although you don't have to have a HND to work in TV and Film.

You can start your journey now by signing up to the Careers, jobs and skills training in film, TV, VFX, animation and games - ScreenSkills website and do some National Lottery funded online courses which will help you decide if its right for you or not. I've done all 32 courses and really enjoyed them.

It's not a waste of time but it's a highly competitive industry.
Reply 7
Original post by Alex The Dude
I'm a mature student and I've started the 2 year HND in Film and TV, I can then do a 1 year BA. The course is excellent, you have to learn everything from the first idea to selling a film. It's hands on so you actually learn most jobs in the film industry.
We are making a Horror Film and a game show after Christmas. You have access to all the industry standard equipment and are encouraged to take the equipment home to practice.
Since September we have, pitched film ideas, learnt about scripts, cameras, green screens, editing, lighting, filmed a short for the local council and the list goes on and on....
At the end of the HND course you will be employment ready, although you don't have to have a HND to work in TV and Film.
You can start your journey now by signing up to the Careers, jobs and skills training in film, TV, VFX, animation and games - ScreenSkills website and do some National Lottery funded online courses which will help you decide if its right for you or not. I've done all 32 courses and really enjoyed them.
Hi can I please ask what uni you're doing your HND at? Many thanks
Hi,

I did Film and TV Production at my chosen University and before I started I knew I wanted to be doing something in the creative industries, I ended up falling in love with writing which led me to the course Film and TV Production. In this course we did both practical and theory which was extremely beneficial and I loved every part of it.

Many say that what you learn on these courses you can do yourself at home on the internet which I have to disagree as at home watching YouTube videos, altho is still educational, it doesn't give you the resources or feedback for when you put this knowledge in to practice. I started writing just before I joined university and the film course gave me both more knowledge and then ways of putting it into practice and then constant support throughout with feedback. It's also beneficial as you get to be with and among many other creatives too.

Looking into film production can also help you as a writer see what is needed in your writing too. When talking with the camera operator on your course you can see how they have envisioned what you have written, same with the editor and the director and so on. Being able to see your work be interpreted by different roles of film is something I found beneficial. This is something I noticed on my course.

I understand this isn't primarily talking about a film studies course but more a film production course but I just wanted to highlight my experiences as an aspiring writer and how university helped me further my knowledge and experiences.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey,
Katie F (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton
Hello,

A film studies degree will focus on the theoretical aspects of making films and the technical aspects related to that. I am minoring in film studies and I have found the essays I have written for it have helped me gain a more critical analysis perspective and helped me improve my writing and search skills in general.

As you said, if your major interest is working on your writing skills alone, it might be worth it to look into universities that offer screenwriting/journalism/creative writing programmes. It would depend on the university whether they offer certain specific classes related to one of the areas I mentioned earlier.

If your interest lies in creative editing (magazine covers, as you said) a digital media course could be worth looking into but you would have to ensure that the course offers classes for digital film/photo editing.

Good luck in your endeavours!

Best wishes,
Upasana Bhatt
Richmond University Student Ambassador
Original post by Alex The Dude

Hi there, please tell me where you are studying your HND in Film & TV and are you happy there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending