The Student Room Group

People who study film/tv, what are your plans?

I'm planning on studying film studies at uni and was wondering what film students were planning on doing after their degree?
Reply 1
Original post by annabellewillow
I'm planning on studying film studies at uni and was wondering what film students were planning on doing after their degree?

I'm studying film (mia) but dont plan on doing a degree but i am hoping to go straight into film work. i dont know what part of the uk youre in but theres a lot of trainee ship programmes out there that are free and courses and stuff, my teacher suggested facebook gcs for your area

i'm a2 so ive already applied to film jobs that go from summer on, citing short courses i did as experience and once you get the first job it keeps coming (or so everyone tells me) I dont know if this was the kind of answer you were looking for lmao but good luck (:
Reply 2
Original post by itsbunny_
I'm studying film (mia) but dont plan on doing a degree but i am hoping to go straight into film work. i dont know what part of the uk youre in but theres a lot of trainee ship programmes out there that are free and courses and stuff, my teacher suggested facebook gcs for your area

i'm a2 so ive already applied to film jobs that go from summer on, citing short courses i did as experience and once you get the first job it keeps coming (or so everyone tells me) I dont know if this was the kind of answer you were looking for lmao but good luck (:

Good suggestions by the way
Hi Annabelle,

I studied Film and Television at University. I did practical filmmaking courses with Young Film Academy and the BFI. I volunteered to help out at the BFI Film Festival and Raindance during my course. I recommend it as it's relatively cheap to do and ensures you meet people who will be able to help your career, should you choose to go into filmmaking. It's also good to see how the industry operates from the inside.

I then went on to complete a Master's and now I'm doing a PhD in film. I quickly discovered that I didn't like practical filmmaking as a future career - long hours, little financial stability, and not knowing where your next job is coming from - but there are good sides as well. I'm looking to become a professor and do research in film academia, i.e. conferences, presentations, peer-reviewed articles. This is also something you can do with a film degree. The trick is to take in as much as you can and see what you gravitate more towards.

A lot of film graduates - from what I've seen in my peers - go into smaller, indie filmmaking, or advertising and journalism. You also have the world of arts in general open to you as it less rigid that STEM careers. It's easier to pivot, e.g. theatre filmmaking, production, arts council jobs, even museums.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca Pearce

Richmond American University London
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.richmond.ac.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending