The Student Room Group

Split Between Uni and Apprenticeship

I am about to enter Y13, and I'm struggling on where to go. I hope to gain a career in film but if I take Uni, I'll most likely take up an English Lit course, and as for Uni to shortlist I have a few laid out but it isn'tclear enough and I haven't even visited any of them.
Ive also heard that film apprenticeships are near to none whereas tv is more competitive, and while student debt wouldn't be an issue, i'm not sure how significant experience would be needed in order to gain a career through it.

Any help would be appreciated!
Why would you study English lit instead of film production at a CILECT university if you want to get into film?

You would be best off applying for both apprenticeships and degrees and then see what offers you get and make a decision about which offers to accept in April-June 2024. Don’t rule anything out this early.
Reply 2
I would keep your options open for as long as you can. Remember you won't know your A Level results until August 2024 and offers of both uni and apprenticeships are likely to be conditional.
Applying for apprenticeships will be good experience for you as well. See what you get offered once you have your resukts then weigh up the advantages and disadvantages. Hopefully you will be in the enviable position of having more than one nice option.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Why would you study English lit instead of film production at a CILECT university if you want to get into film?

You would be best off applying for both apprenticeships and degrees and then see what offers you get and make a decision about which offers to accept in April-June 2024. Don’t rule anything out this early.

My parents don't approve of me doing film, and I figured that taking an English Lit course with Creative Writing could be beneficial, and me and a friend found it to be a useful way to get around that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending