The Student Room Group

A Film and Television Production Masters?

Hi everyone,

I recently applied for a mixture of both Film and TV and English courses. I love these subjects and I'm incredibly passionate about both, however I have doubts about doing an English degree as I'm not overly fond of the potential careers that follow. My first choice was Film and TV production at York, however I got rejected. (my reference had been written by the head of English at my school, so I think it leaned too far towards literature by York's standards) I have offers from both York and Lancaster for English which I've narrowed down as my favourites, and I can't wait to do English at degree level, however I'm gutted about my Film application as I was really excited to try something new on the more practical side, while keeping my passion for reading and writing a hobby. Is it possible to do an English literature Bachelors and go on to do a Film production masters? I've read briefly various conditions on entering and they mention professional experience which I wouldn't have, or to pitch a film idea including a lot of technical knowledge I wouldn't have, so is this possible?

I'm also wondering if anyone has actually experienced the above, because if I were to choose to do a Masters after my English degree, I wouldn't have built up those skills you learn at Bachelors level.

Feeling a bit lost :frown: I'm not sure where to go from here, or what the right decision is. I'm not sure who, if anyone, will see this question, so thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to write a reply. :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending