The Student Room Group

Oxford physics prospective student

Hi there. I’m an international prospective applicant for the Physics course at the Oxford University.
I was wondering whether my IGCSE’s would play a significant role in the chances of me getting offered for an interview:
I got one A* (Physics), five A’s (including math, additional math, chem) and one B
However I caught up in my A levels, with a predicted grade of A*A*A*A in Physics, Math, Chemistry and Further Math respectively. Assuming that I do well in the PAT, and that I have a “glowing” reference letter from my physics teacher, do you think I’d still be a competitive candidate, given my relatively bad GCSE grades?
Thanks in advance for all responses :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I have found that GCSE scores are not very important. PAT is the most important thing, then a good personal statement (with a lot of books and competitions).
Reply 2
I have not competed in any higher level physics or math exams like Olympiads, but I have read many books. Mentioning those would guarantee that I would be asked to answer questions related to those books? Like is that how they check whether I've actually read and understood them instead of lying?
Original post by jojicr7
I have not competed in any higher level physics or math exams like Olympiads, but I have read many books. Mentioning those would guarantee that I would be asked to answer questions related to those books? Like is that how they check whether I've actually read and understood them instead of lying?

They normally use those books you mentioned in your personal statement as an introduction in the interview. They don’t pick out you’re lying. They just want to see your interest through those books. It would be bad if you didn’t read them and the interview is really important as well as the PAT.
Original post by jojicr7

Anybody who lies about having read books and then puts them on their personal statements would be very foolish. Of course Oxford don't send the "book reading police" round to your home, however they can take any part of the PS at interview and interview you closely about it.

For example, my son (a German candidate) put down a German novel he really loved. Not only did much of one of his interviews revolve around it, but they actually sent a PhD student from a different college to interview him, because she was also studying the book. Now imagine what would have happened if he was lying about having read the book... Plus at this level, you may even be interviewed by the person who wrote the book you have pretended to read!

For what you need to do to get in, please read the chapter below, written by an Oxford offer holder for physics

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88279630&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified%20-%20Physics
Original post by jojicr7
Hi there. I’m an international prospective applicant for the Physics course at the Oxford University.
I was wondering whether my IGCSE’s would play a significant role in the chances of me getting offered for an interview:
I got one A* (Physics), five A’s (including math, additional math, chem) and one B
However I caught up in my A levels, with a predicted grade of A*A*A*A in Physics, Math, Chemistry and Further Math respectively. Assuming that I do well in the PAT, and that I have a “glowing” reference letter from my physics teacher, do you think I’d still be a competitive candidate, given my relatively bad GCSE grades?
Thanks in advance for all responses :smile:

Here is the Oxford university physics department's answer to your question

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/entrance-requirements

Successful candidates mostly have between 4-9 A*. Therefore your one A* is obviously lower than this.
As above, PAT performance will outweigh GCSEs, particularly if you have done well in relevant subjects (maths, science) at GCSE and are predicted good grades in those subject at A-level. Physics & Philosophy might focus a bit more on your GCSEs more broadly, but most colleges seem to consider PhysPhil applicants on top of the core physics course and will make offers for the latter if they feel they aren't up to scratch for the philosophy side.

In all likelihood physics interviews at Oxford are probably going to mainly be working through unfamiliar mathematical problems (physics related or otherwise). They don't really care to see you've read pop-science books for the sake of it, and you may as well just discuss your actual motivations for discussing physics directly rather than trying to frame it in the context of some book you haven't read. For PhysPhil mentioning relevant philosophical reading might be more expected and you will probably have philosophy form part or all of one of the interviews and they may well use some of your listed reading as a starting point for that, so it would be a even less advisable for that course...
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, PAT performance will outweigh GCSEs, particularly if you have done well in relevant subjects (maths, science) at GCSE and are predicted good grades in those subject at A-level. Physics & Philosophy might focus a bit more on your GCSEs more broadly, but most colleges seem to consider PhysPhil applicants on top of the core physics course and will make offers for the latter if they feel they aren't up to scratch for the philosophy side.

In all likelihood physics interviews at Oxford are probably going to mainly be working through unfamiliar mathematical problems (physics related or otherwise). They don't really care to see you've read pop-science books for the sake of it, and you may as well just discuss your actual motivations for discussing physics directly rather than trying to frame it in the context of some book you haven't read. For PhysPhil mentioning relevant philosophical reading might be more expected and you will probably have philosophy form part or all of one of the interviews and they may well use some of your listed reading as a starting point for that, so it would be a even less advisable for that course...

This is true. Reading generic books on the recommended book list will not make you stand out from other applicants. You reading needs to be targeted towards an element of physics you are interested in and are prepared to discuss in detail with the interviewers.
Reply 8
Oh, that’s interesting. (Also, wow, I did not mean to come off as if I didn’t read the books and planned on lying about it. I was just curious whether mentioning them to prove interest would affect your interviews. Thanks for the responses though!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jojicr7

Assume they will be asked about. In my interviews, now many years ago, I was not asked a single question related to my personal statement. It's less common for subjects where they can jump straight in with technical questions but definitely does still happen, depends on the tutor.
Reply 10
Will a candidate be offered to write the Physics aptitude test AFTER oxford reviews your GCSEs and predicted grades, or do you automatically get sit the admission test before they offer/reject you?
Original post by jojicr7
Will a candidate be offered to write the Physics aptitude test AFTER oxford reviews your GCSEs and predicted grades, or do you automatically get sit the admission test before they offer/reject you?

"Everyone who applies to study Physics or Physics and Philosophy at Oxford must take the Physics Aptitude Test. There are no exceptions." from https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/physics-aptitude-test-pat

You need to be entered for the PAT by October the 15th or your application won't be considered further. It's a pre-interview assessment, not an at-interview assessment, so you will take it and it will be considered along with the rest of your application to determine who will be called to interview.
Reply 12
Okay. Thanks!
Everyone takes the pat on the same day, and at the same time, like an exam
Original post by jojicr7

My son's school told him to focus on a couple of books and comment on those in his personal statement. Then, make sure that you know those books inside out as you will be asked something about them. They will know if you are bluffing. However, If you particularly like one book, read another by them, as he was asked which other books by his favourite he had read. My son's favourite was by Carlo Rovelli and he has been lucky enough to go to a talk by him up at Oxford in the last year.
(edited 3 years ago)
When it comes to reading it’s depth over breadth
Its worth a shot, my daughter applied last october and got to interview stage (she did maths, further math, chem and physics). If you have many uni choices you can apply for, its worth giving it a go :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Its worth a shot, my daughter applied last october and got to interview stage (she did maths, further math, chem and physics). If you have many uni choices you can apply for, its worth giving it a go :smile:

I've just merged the OPs two threads so there is just one, your comment is now part of the larger discussion as a result! :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
I get asked on one of the books as the introduction, but they didn't talk about the PS any further than that. Most of the interviews are just doing Physics and Maths problems. Of course, you shouldn't lie, in case you get called out for it, but the emphasis on books in Physics interview is much much less than other courses, so you shouldn't feel the need to 'learn' the books.
As of now, practicing PAT is very important. A good PAT score (>70ish) almost guarantee a place, unless you screwed your interview horribly (I analyzed the Physics admission data from whatdotheyknow a few years ago, I think they pulled down the data because it's too detailed and people could be identified from the list, so take this statistic with a grain of salt. I think only maybe 3 or 5 people with score > 70 got rejected.)
Interview skill can be done later (after you take your PAT), but tbh the interview is just doing problems, so as long as you practice a lot of them, you're going to be ok. A few mock interview sessions with your teacher/tutor and friends should do the job.
If you smash the PAT you’ll be fine, if not...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending