The Student Room Group

Identifying particles in A level chemistry

I've been set like 20 questions and they want me to identify a particle from some info given.
The first one says identify the particle.
1 An atom with 6 protons and the same number of neutrons as a 14^N atom
Can someone explain to me how to figure what the particle is please?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rsidofdhoidsh
I've been set like 20 questions and they want me to identify a particle from some info given.
The first one says identify the particle.
1 An atom with 6 protons and the same number of neutrons as a 14^N atom

The 14 is above the N
An atom with 6 protons - you can find the element easily on the periodic table by looking at the element with an atomic number of 6. Work out the number of neutrons in n-14 by deducting the atomic number of n from its mass number of 14. Then add the 6 protons and the number of neutrons to give you the isotope of this element.
Original post by _.angelica._
An atom with 6 protons - you can find the element easily on the periodic table by looking at the element with an atomic number of 6. Work out the number of neutrons in n-14 by deducting the atomic number of n from its mass number of 14. Then add the 6 protons and the number of neutrons to give you the isotope of this element.

Thank you!!!
Thank you!!!

No problem 😃

Just to clarify - the first one would be carbon - 14 right? Or do I write it out differently?
Just to clarify - the first one would be carbon - 14 right? Or do I write it out differently?

The first one would be carbon 13 as 14 - 7 (7 is ns atomic number) equals 7 adding the 6 onto that is 13
The first one would be carbon 13 as 14 - 7 (7 is ns atomic number) equals 7 adding the 6 onto that is 13

wait, I'm confused. Why do you take away 7 if the atom has 6 protons?
So to work out the number of neutrons in an atom, which is what you want to do for the 14 N atom, you have to do the mass number - atomic number. Mass number here is 14 and nitrogen’s atomic number is 7, so 14 - 7 is 7 neutrons. Finally to work out the mass of this isotope of carbon (you know it’s carbon because of its atomic number of 6), you add the number of neutrons and protons together so 6 and 7 to give you 13. Therefore it’s carbon 13. Hope this makes a bit more sense

wait, I'm confused. Why do you take away 7 if the atom has 6 protons?
So to work out the number of neutrons in an atom, which is what you want to do for the 14 N atom, you have to do the mass number - atomic number. Mass number here is 14 and nitrogen’s atomic number is 7, so 14 - 7 is 7 neutrons. Finally to work out the mass of this isotope of carbon (you know it’s carbon because of its atomic number of 6), you add the number of neutrons and protons together so 6 and 7 to give you 13. Therefore it’s carbon 13. Hope this makes a bit more sense

Ohhh ok - this time I perfectly understand thanks lol

Quick Reply

Latest