The Student Room Group

Economics without maths A level

I am in year 12 and think that I want to study economics at uni. However, I did not do maths A-level (I did History, Economics and Politics). There are a few unis that don't require maths and only say this is 'preferable'.

Would my lack of Maths A-level significantly reduce my chances of getting an offer? Does anyone know someone who has studied econ at uni without maths?

Nottingham and Leeds are the only higher ranked unis that I can find that have economics courses that don't require maths. Does anyone know of any others? I am also looking at doing economics as a joint honours degree with history - I know Leeds and Exeter both offer this and both don't say they don't require maths.

my predicted grades are A*A*A. I got a 9 at maths GCSE but have not studied maths beyond this level.
Leeds is brilliant for economics, as is Nottingham, many other russell group uni's offer economics without maths, like Sheffield and Birmingham. Also some uni's, i know Sheffield does, allow you to switch from Ba to BSc in your 2nd/3rd year providing you choose math heavy modules.
Original post by Greg567
I am in year 12 and think that I want to study economics at uni. However, I did not do maths A-level (I did History, Economics and Politics). There are a few unis that don't require maths and only say this is 'preferable'.

Would my lack of Maths A-level significantly reduce my chances of getting an offer? Does anyone know someone who has studied econ at uni without maths?

Nottingham and Leeds are the only higher ranked unis that I can find that have economics courses that don't require maths. Does anyone know of any others? I am also looking at doing economics as a joint honours degree with history - I know Leeds and Exeter both offer this and both don't say they don't require maths.

my predicted grades are A*A*A. I got a 9 at maths GCSE but have not studied maths beyond this level.

I'm about to graduate from Nottingham and going to do my MSc at LSE in September without A level Maths (I did Econ, History and Geography), so definitely possible to do well!

To begin with, it's a steep learning curve, but in my opinion it gets easier and by third year I doubt you'll notice a difference between your ability and those that did the A level in quantitative modules.

By second year I was taking optional modules in the maths department which I'd recommend if you go to Nottingham because it'll help you get comfortable more quickly.

Might be worth watching some YT videos on calculus, statistics, probability and linear algebra if you want to get a taste of what it's like (but don't worry, you're eased into it). Also, there are plenty of people studying econ at RG unis or similar without A level maths who do very well, so don't be put off, just think of it as an opportunity to develop yourself more.

History A level helps with the essays a lot.
Reply 3
Your lack of Maths at A'level won't reduce your chances of getting an offer so long as you apply for the right course i.e the one that doesn't require Maths in its entry requirements. This is the BA Economics as opposed to Bsc Economics. However, from what I've heard about the BA Economics, it's actually quite a Maths heavy course in itself, so i'd be more worried about that aspect and if this will affect you whilst on the course.
There are fewer top universities to choose from when it comes to BA Economics as you have found, but they are there, you've already mentioned a couple, I know Essex uni offer it as well.
You’re obviously decent at maths so I assume you didn’t pick it for a level because you enjoy essay based subjects more. Do you enjoy politics? I think you’re a perfect applicant for ppe. It also allows you to get into the top top unis as I don’t think any require maths whereas for straight econ they all do. Job prospects from what i know are very similar
Reply 5
Original post by JGoosey2002
You’re obviously decent at maths so I assume you didn’t pick it for a level because you enjoy essay based subjects more. Do you enjoy politics? I think you’re a perfect applicant for ppe. It also allows you to get into the top top unis as I don’t think any require maths whereas for straight econ they all do. Job prospects from what i know are very similar

I have enjoyed politics A-level but don't really want to pursue it into university
Reply 6
Original post by Diplomatic
I'm about to graduate from Nottingham and going to do my MSc at LSE in September without A level Maths (I did Econ, History and Geography), so definitely possible to do well!

To begin with, it's a steep learning curve, but in my opinion it gets easier and by third year I doubt you'll notice a difference between your ability and those that did the A level in quantitative modules.

By second year I was taking optional modules in the maths department which I'd recommend if you go to Nottingham because it'll help you get comfortable more quickly.

Might be worth watching some YT videos on calculus, statistics, probability and linear algebra if you want to get a taste of what it's like (but don't worry, you're eased into it). Also, there are plenty of people studying econ at RG unis or similar without A level maths who do very well, so don't be put off, just think of it as an opportunity to develop yourself more.

History A level helps with the essays a lot.

Thank you very much. This has made me much more confident about applying. Just to confirm... you did straight economics at Nottingham University and you had not done maths beyond GCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending