The Student Room Group

Mechanics

1) A particle P travels in a straight line.
At time t s, the displacement of P from a point O on the line is S metres. At time t s, the acceleration of P is (12t-4)ms-1. When t =1, s =2 and when t =3, s =30.
Find the displacement when t=2
2) A car starts from the point A. At time t s after leaving A, the distance of the car
from A is s m, where s = 30 t - 0.4 t 2 , 0 t 25. The car reaches the point B when t = 25.
a Find the distance AB.
b Show that the car travels with a constant acceleration and state the value of this
acceleration.
A runner passes through B when t = 0 with an initial velocity of 2 m s−1 running directly towards A. The runner has a constant acceleration of 0.1 m s−2.
c Find the distance from A at which the runner and the car pass one another.
Struggling with mechanics. Any help would be much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For (1), not that acceleration, a=dv/dt, and v=ds/dt. So a=dv/dt=d/dt(ds/dt)=d2s/dt2. So if i want to go from acceleration to displacement i will need to 'undo' the double differentiation, i.e integrate twice. This will lead to two constants of integration, hence why you are given two initial conditions.

for (2), you are given an expression for the displacement from A at time t. B is at time t=25s away from A, can you use the expression to find the displacement B is from A?
If you are given an expression for s in terms of t, then how do you find acceleration?

For the next part, you are given the (constant) acceleration of the runner, can you find an expression for the displacement of the runner? Noting that the runner is going in the opposite direction of the car. If you have this expression, do you know what to do next? Again, you might find a sketch useful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Tayls102
For (1), not that acceleration, a=dv/dt, and v=ds/dt. So a=dv/dt=d/dt(ds/dt)=d2s/dt2. So if i want to go from acceleration to displacement i will need to 'undo' the double differentiation, i.e integrate twice. This will lead to two constants of integration, hence why you are given two initial conditions.

for (2), you are given an expression for the displacement from A at time t. B is at time t=25s away from A, can you use the expression to find the displacement B is from A?
If you are given an expression for s in terms of t, then how do you find acceleration?

For the next part, you are given the (constant) acceleration of the runner, can you find an expression for the displacement of the runner? Noting that the runner is going in the opposite direction of the car. If you have this expression, do you know what to do next? Again, you might find a sketch useful :smile:

So for the first question will we be integrating the equation that’s been given?
Reply 3
Original post by Kffh
So for the first question will we be integrating the equation that’s been given?

exactly that. if you post working i'm happy to have a look at it for you.
Reply 4
exactly that. if you post working i'm happy to have a look at it for you.

image.jpgI’m confused with the second bit
Reply 5
Original post by Kffh
image.jpgI’m confused with the second bit

Okay, so you have integrated d2s/dt2 once to get to ds/dt. Now you need to integrate again to get s. Then from there you can put in the initial conditions to solve for the constants :smile:
Reply 6
Okay, so you have integrated d2s/dt2 once to get to ds/dt. Now you need to integrate again to get s. Then from there you can put in the initial conditions to solve for the constants :smile:

image.jpgGot this far
Reply 7
Original post by Kffh
image.jpgGot this far

Okay, so first you started with acceleration which is d2s/dt2. When you integrate once you go to v, which is ds/dt, with a constant of integration C. Which you got correctly as v=6t2-4t+C.

To get displacement, s, you need to integrate again, but this will introduce another constant of integration that might be different from C. As such, you shouldn't call it C. Perhaps you could label them as C1,C2 to make clear they are not the same constant of integration.

From there you can substitute in your initial conditions, and you should be able to solve for C1 and C2 giving you a final expression for the displacement, s.
Reply 8
Okay, so first you started with acceleration which is d2s/dt2. When you integrate once you go to v, which is ds/dt, with a constant of integration C. Which you got correctly as v=6t2-4t+C.

To get displacement, s, you need to integrate again, but this will introduce another constant of integration that might be different from C. As such, you shouldn't call it C. Perhaps you could label them as C1,C2 to make clear they are not the same constant of integration.

From there you can substitute in your initial conditions, and you should be able to solve for C1 and C2 giving you a final expression for the displacement, s.

image.jpgOkay did that, I’m confused with what expression to use
Reply 9
Original post by Kffh
image.jpgOkay did that, I’m confused with what expression to use

image.jpgAlso did this for the second question but now I’m stuck
Original post by Kffh
image.jpgAlso did this for the second question but now I’m stuck

I agree with the 500m for the displacement between A and B, technically to find the distance you need to find the absolute value of this number, but its already positive so in this specific case the displacement is equal to the distance between A and B, but important to note.

For showing the acceleration is constant, if you are given an expression for displacement s, then how would you find an expression for the acceleration, a?
Reply 11
I agree with the 500m for the displacement between A and B, technically to find the distance you need to find the absolute value of this number, but its already positive so in this specific case the displacement is equal to the distance between A and B, but important to note.

For showing the acceleration is constant, if you are given an expression for displacement s, then how would you find an expression for the acceleration, a?

Suvat? I’m not sure
Original post by Kffh
Suvat? I’m not sure

Remember that acceleration a=d2s/dt2. Does this help?
Reply 13
Remember that acceleration a=d2s/dt2. Does this help?

So differentiate twice? And after that?
Original post by Kffh

Yes, d2s/dt2 means differentiate s twice with respect to t, however you have already differentiated once to find ds/dt=v. So you only need to differentiate once more. Remember you are trying to show that acceleration is constant for all t.
Reply 15
Original post by Kffh

What do you get when you work out that second derivative?
Reply 16
Yes, d2s/dt2 means differentiate s twice with respect to t, however you have already differentiated once to find ds/dt=v. So you only need to differentiate once more. Remember you are trying to show that acceleration is constant for all t.image.jpg

Got this
Reply 17
Original post by davros
What do you get when you work out that second derivative?

Original post by Kffh
Got this

Exactly! If you want me to check over anything for the next part I can :smile:
Reply 19
Exactly! If you want me to check over anything for the next part I can :smile:

I’m stuck with that and with the 1st question. I don’t get what expression to use for q1

Quick Reply

Latest