The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SNA5R18
What were ur stats back then?
and also if you dont mind, what do you think couldve gone better in interview?

I dont mind haha
I got 5.4 5.8 3.5a in my bmat last year predicted A*A*A, and honestly i walked out of the interview thinking it went okay and the interview to offer percentage is around 70-80% so i wasnt worried but i think it backfired, i didnt do enough practice so i couldnt show who i really was to the interviewers in the short time we had, but in all honesty im glad it turned out this way and that im taking a gap year ive learned a lot.
Reply 381
Hey guys Sorry to ask again but I’m not any responses so I have 3A* predictions and 4.6,5.1 and 2A in my BMAT and was wondering of my chances?
Original post by AZ02
Hey guys Sorry to ask again but I’m not any responses so I have 3A* predictions and 4.6,5.1 and 2A in my BMAT and was wondering of my chances?

we probably cabt say for now
Original post by AZ02

I really don’t want to say anything for definite as this year is a very odd one (although as discussed on here cutoffs are less likely to increase by a lot than for UCAT/unis that prioritise achieved grades)

However, a 2A would have been below historical minmum cutoffs for non-contextual home applicants (2.5C) unfortunately, but hope should not be lost until you actually have a rejection.
Hi, my son has just received his 2020 BMAT results: 5, 4 and 3A.
Are they good enough to receive an interview offer from Imperial College? Any help is very welcome. Thank you very much.
Original post by Ladybird2020
Are they good enough to receive an interview offer from Imperial College? Any help is very welcome. Thank you very much.

Please post in this dedicated thread for ICL A100 queries.

For future reference, there is a thread for each UK medical school / their courses. Here is the index: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6410398

Post originally created by ecolier.
Did anyone know that as a grad applying to the undergrad course we need to have met the A level requirements? I don't remember seeing this anywhere on their website, only that the graduate entry course has been suspended so we can apply for A100. I assumed like other unis they just want us to have a 2.1 predicted/acheived. But in an automatic email reply I got said:

"Our Graduate Medicine degree (UCAS code A109) has been suspended and as such, the course will not run in September 2020 or 2021. We are not sure when the course will reopen or what the entry requirements may be when it does so, but any updates will be posted on the course webpage. Graduates may be considered for the full 6-year MBBS (including the BSc year) but must meet the entry criteria of that course (i.e. A-Levels or equivalent) with no concessions."

Thankfully I meet the A level requirements, and maybe it's my bad for assuming they'd be like other unis, but I feel it's unfair that the only time they mentioned this was in this email. Was this mentioned on the website as well and i just missed it?
Original post by C.elegans
Did anyone know that as a grad applying to the undergrad course we need to have met the A level requirements? I don't remember seeing this anywhere on their website, only that the graduate entry course has been suspended so we can apply for A100. I assumed like other unis they just want us to have a 2.1 predicted/acheived. But in an automatic email reply I got said:

"Our Graduate Medicine degree (UCAS code A109) has been suspended and as such, the course will not run in September 2020 or 2021. We are not sure when the course will reopen or what the entry requirements may be when it does so, but any updates will be posted on the course webpage. Graduates may be considered for the full 6-year MBBS (including the BSc year) but must meet the entry criteria of that course (i.e. A-Levels or equivalent) with no concessions."

Thankfully I meet the A level requirements, and maybe it's my bad for assuming they'd be like other unis, but I feel it's unfair that the only time they mentioned this was in this email. Was this mentioned on the website as well and i just missed it?

It does say on their website:
"Candidates must:
have obtained or be predicted to obtain grades in A-levels, International or European Baccalaureate, or other acceptable qualifications that satisfy the School of Medicine’s academic criteria (see Entry requirements section, above)"
and does not say this does not apply to grads. I cannot see a caveat of a degree as an "other acceptable qualification" excepting them from this, so would assume it applies to them, too
Original post by GANFYD
It does say on their website:
"Candidates must:
have obtained or be predicted to obtain grades in A-levels, International or European Baccalaureate, or other acceptable qualifications that satisfy the School of Medicine’s academic criteria (see Entry requirements section, above)"
and does not say this does not apply to grads. I cannot see a caveat of a degree as an "other acceptable qualification" excepting them from this, so would assume it applies to them, too

Ahh i see, my bad! :colondollar:
Original post by C.elegans
Ahh i see, my bad! :colondollar:

Medicine Admissionese is a language in its own right!!
Original post by Ladybird2020

Afraid I am copy-pasting it but this still holds true :biggrin:

I really don’t want to say anything for definite as this year is a very odd one (although as discussed on here cutoffs are less likely to increase by a lot than for UCAT due to fewer test takers or for unis that prioritise achieved grades)

However your son has a strong BMAT score that historically would have been over the interview threshold for home applicants, as you can see on their website, so don’t worry too much! Try and stay calm and remember that it’s not over til it’s over. If he's stressed he might find it helpful to get on here himself and we can advise him and he can be part of the med applicant community here :smile:
Reply 391
Do you guys think the essay is going to hold less weight this year? I was thinking about this and as not every one is good at typing( me 😅) but there are some people who are very experienced that there is a unfair advantage? Ofcourse there are people who write quicker but I would guess since We are used to writting it’s less of a unfair advantage? Idk some thing that’s been on my mind what do you guys think?
Original post by AZ02
Do you guys think the essay is going to hold less weight this year? I was thinking about this and as not every one is good at typing( me 😅) but there are some people who are very experienced that there is a unfair advantage? Ofcourse there are people who write quicker but I would guess since We are used to writting it’s less of a unfair advantage? Idk some thing that’s been on my mind what do you guys think?

I don't think it should be taken into account since we knew it was going to be on computer so if someone knows they type slowly, they could possibly just practise? and there are people who might not be used to hand writing actually - e.g. I usually use a computer for writing my notes in class and at home, writing IAs, essays and assignments, so I think I write slower than 'average' for example, and there may be people who use computer daily at work, much more than hand writing when they're applying as grads. so honestly I don't think it should be taken into account as there will always be people who find one way or the other easier/faster. also, since it was computer based you could edit your previous part of the answer, like add some words or delete from e.g. introduction when your whole essay was finished and normally you wouldn't. so, if anything, then to me it seems for the section 3 at least, it was easier when it was on computer than if it was paper based.
Original post by AZ02

Regardless of how fair it is, no uni that I know of has said that they're going to change their selection procedure, so...
Personally I feel that either writing or typing will disadvantage someone, and most people type faster than they write. I also really doubt sadly that med schools admissions care about this sort of consideration.
@becausethenight hows life g
Hi I just have a quick question about interview selection this year. Recently, upon checking the Imperial website I noticed they changed from ranking based on BMAT alone to a new system. I achieved a 6.5, 5.7 and 4a, but also I've been predicted a* a a a.

Will that put me at a disadvantage this year for interview?
Original post by pranav2981
Hi I just have a quick question about interview selection this year. Recently, upon checking the Imperial website I noticed they changed from ranking based on BMAT alone to a new system. I achieved a 6.5, 5.7 and 4a, but also I've been predicted a* a a a.

where did you find this? could you put a lik please?
Original post by pranav2981

yh where does it say that
Original post by VanillaCream
where did you find this? could you put a lik please?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/#entry-requirements

It's in the entry requirements section, under the selection process Subheading.
I heard the averages for bmat are 4.5 for both sections. I got 5.2 in my paper 1. Am I likely to be above the cut off?

Latest

Trending

Trending