The Student Room Group

Dry clean only trousers?

Hello

I recently bought a suit for sixth form that I really like but I have now found out is dry clean only.. I don't mind getting the jacket dry cleaned as it will only need it a couple of times a year but I don't know what to do about the trousers... I only bought one pair (planning to get another) so far and can't really afford to get them dry cleaned weekly..

Would 'dry clean only' trousers be okay in the washing machine and what do you do about them - surely people don't wear them daily for weeks until they get them dry cleaned!? or should I return the suit and find another (more expensive) one that is machine washable instead :frown:

Thank you :smile:

(btw the trousers are 69% Polyester, 29% Viscose and 2% Elastane)
(edited 3 years ago)
Cheap formal wear is not designed for regular daily use. The textiles are treated with various finishing chemicals for a good look but poor durability, and rarely machine washing. You might get away with gentle hand-washing and drip-dry. Even more expensive wool suits are often dry-clean only (and would be dry cleaned monthly max.)
If you must wear a suit, invest in either properly washable fabrics, or get several pairs of trousers to use with one jacket.

Quick Reply

Latest