The Student Room Group

Vet farm work experience

Hi,
Im in my first year of A-levels and at the start of 2024 I might have some work experience available at a cattle farm and doing lambing. Is there anywhere you could recommend buying outdoor work gear from thats affordable and what would you recommend buying?
The main important thing to suggest for farm placements: LAYERS

For my farm work experience and pre-clinical EMS I would wear a polo shirt, gilet, jumper, and coat. Also a hat and gloves. You might want to add a base layer in there too, and maybe another jumper. I’m not sure where you’ll be farming but it at least sounds like it’ll be in winter and whether inside or outside you can soon get cold when you’re in the countryside breeze all day! Short sleeves are practical so perhaps a short sleeved base layer/thermal, then have your jumper(s) and coat as your outermost layers so you can take them off easily if you need your arms bare. We used parlour tops in vet school which are good for keeping dry and clean (with arm access) but I didn’t use them that much and certainly not before vet school, and before then I was fine in a waterproof coat.

Wear good, thick socks with well-fitting boots. Once I had them, I wore steel-capped wellies with boot liners as well as my socks. I only had normal wellies before university so I wore short steel-capped boots when I could then swapped to wellies if I was somewhere muddy/messy. I got my boots from Arco and they’ve lasted me for years. Wellies I got from vet school and unfortunately can’t remember the brand.

Then I would suggest some waterproof overtrousers. I personally just siphered from the random collection we seemed to have at home so I can’t speak for which are good but I do see lots of people with Flexothane ones. They basically just need to be durable with good waterproofing. Underneath I wore “work trousers” which I also got from Arco, then I could fit on leggings underneath if I needed extra warmth.

So a TLDR without actually suggesting many good places to get things from, sorry!:

Warm layers that still allow you to use your arms

Waterproofs (top and bottom) - against the wet and the animal stuff

Well-fitting boots, preferably wellies, and preferably steel-capped/safety (especially for cattle)

Spares!

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by TheVirtualPhoton
The main important thing to suggest for farm placements: LAYERS

For my farm work experience and pre-clinical EMS I would wear a polo shirt, gilet, jumper, and coat. Also a hat and gloves. You might want to add a base layer in there too, and maybe another jumper. I’m not sure where you’ll be farming but it at least sounds like it’ll be in winter and whether inside or outside you can soon get cold when you’re in the countryside breeze all day! Short sleeves are practical so perhaps a short sleeved base layer/thermal, then have your jumper(s) and coat as your outermost layers so you can take them off easily if you need your arms bare. We used parlour tops in vet school which are good for keeping dry and clean (with arm access) but I didn’t use them that much and certainly not before vet school, and before then I was fine in a waterproof coat.

Wear good, thick socks with well-fitting boots. Once I had them, I wore steel-capped wellies with boot liners as well as my socks. I only had normal wellies before university so I wore short steel-capped boots when I could then swapped to wellies if I was somewhere muddy/messy. I got my boots from Arco and they’ve lasted me for years. Wellies I got from vet school and unfortunately can’t remember the brand.

Then I would suggest some waterproof overtrousers. I personally just siphered from the random collection we seemed to have at home so I can’t speak for which are good but I do see lots of people with Flexothane ones. They basically just need to be durable with good waterproofing. Underneath I wore “work trousers” which I also got from Arco, then I could fit on leggings underneath if I needed extra warmth.

So a TLDR without actually suggesting many good places to get things from, sorry!:

Warm layers that still allow you to use your arms

Waterproofs (top and bottom) - against the wet and the animal stuff

Well-fitting boots, preferably wellies, and preferably steel-capped/safety (especially for cattle)

Spares!

Good luck!

Thank you so much this is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending