The Student Room Group

Acne /skin texture on the face

Hi guys, I’m 17 and I suffer from a lot of skin texture. It’s not red or inflamed, but it’s like spots under the skin??
And they form white heads after some time (which I pop) ik it’s bad but it really brings my self esteem down.
I get these spots primarily on the apples of my cheeks (both sides, some near my cheekbone and between my eye brows on my forehead.
I’ve had acne for 3 years now and it used to be big spots but now it’s under the skin spots.
I was prescribed Zineryt for some time, which did help my massive spots go away.
Was wondering if you had any advice?
I’ve heard good things about retinol/ retinoids??
Any past experience??
Id really like for my acne to go away
Reply 1
Using a combination of exfoliating and deep clean facewashes works a lot. I would regularly buy facecare products. I would also recommend not touching your face (like resting your head on your hand). I haven't tried retinol, but I don't think its a good thing to use it at a young age, like 17. Most of all, take good care of your skin. Popping pimples could be alright but the most important thing is keeping it clean with facewash, keeping it moisturised with moisturisers and avoid using makeup on the skin, which does cause a lot of acne
I once was diagnosed with a similar condition around the same age as you. It is because the oil glands gets stimulated when hormones become active during teenage, which is why people are likely to get acne in their teens. Because the tendency to develop acne is partly genetic, if other people in your family had (or have) acne, this might be another reason you are having the condition. I treated mine with doxycycline and it worked.
Reply 3
Original post by nick9kaburia
I once was diagnosed with a similar condition around the same age as you. It is because the oil glands gets stimulated when hormones become active during teenage, which is why people are likely to get acne in their teens. Because the tendency to develop acne is partly genetic, if other people in your family had (or have) acne, this might be another reason you are having the condition. I treated mine with doxycycline and it worked.

Hi thanks for the reply!!
Were you prescribed doxycycline?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I’m 17 and I suffer from a lot of skin texture. It’s not red or inflamed, but it’s like spots under the skin??
And they form white heads after some time (which I pop) ik it’s bad but it really brings my self esteem down.
I get these spots primarily on the apples of my cheeks (both sides, some near my cheekbone and between my eye brows on my forehead.
I’ve had acne for 3 years now and it used to be big spots but now it’s under the skin spots.
I was prescribed Zineryt for some time, which did help my massive spots go away.
Was wondering if you had any advice?
I’ve heard good things about retinol/ retinoids??
Any past experience??
Id really like for my acne to go away

I've had a lot of acne and still do, but it's a lot better now. How is your skin care routine?
I recommend:
- In the morning using a cleanser (you could suit it to what your skin needs, like if you want exfoliation and new skin cells to generate in your skin then I recommend an exfoliating cleanser or if your skin gets dry I recommend using a soap-free cleanser)
- In the morning after you wash your face put a non-comedogenic moisturizer on, as this shouldn't have harmful chemicals in it, I use simple moisturizer but you can use any
- Always put sunscreen on (but find a good one) even if it's a thin layer it still helps prevent uv rays damage

- In the night time, I recommend double cleansing, so using an oil-based cleanser and then a water-based cleanser (water-based is what you use in the morning). If you don't have an oil-based cleanser, you can use the same water-based one twice or use another basic one. The aim is just to clean your face thoroughly, so not only the dirt/dust on the skin surface but also any excess oil build up or dirt clogged inside the pores of your skin too.
- After that you can use a moisturizer and a serum is a bonus if you want
- If you use a serum make sure it targets or gives a certain ingredient your face needs. Hyaluronic acid gives moisture so your face doesn't get dry, salicylic and niacinamide are great for acne, but be aware that when you use serums it can take a week or two for your face to get used to it, so you might see the acne increasing then decreasing once it's used to the product.
- You could go in with a retinol-based products (don't use something strong too yet), I used to use acnecide 5% w/w gel and it's like a cream you put on before bed and it shrinks pimples down by a lot! (which doesn't usually have a prescription). I now use epiduo gel which I got a prescription for and it works nicely although it took a few weeks for my skin to get used to it

- Another reason for acne, could be stress. This is one of my main reasons for acne, so just be aware that stress can cause it too
- Try to change your pillow-cases often, especially if you sleep on your side as this could be another reason for acne
- If you wear makeup, always clean it off FULLY when you take it off. Sometimes makeup can clog pores and increase acne, so just be careful with it.
- Hormones can also be a reason, I got hormonal acne and I admit it can get irritating, but don't worry, because during your 20s it would start to clear up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending