The Student Room Group

laundry

this is going to sound stupid but I can't find the answer anywhere, how do you do your laundry in uni? I know most have laundry facilities but are there dryers or do you bring a clothes rack and hang your clothes in your dorm. Also are there irons and iron boards or do you bring your own or do you just not bother. Also how do you stop people from stopping your cleaning cycle to use the machine for their own load or to steal you clothes?
Original post by florverc
this is going to sound stupid but I can't find the answer anywhere, how do you do your laundry in uni? I know most have laundry facilities but are there dryers or do you bring a clothes rack and hang your clothes in your dorm. Also are there irons and iron boards or do you bring your own or do you just not bother. Also how do you stop people from stopping your cleaning cycle to use the machine for their own load or to steal you clothes?

@floverc

Halls of residence tend to have a laundry room where you can do your laundry with several washing machines and also dryers. I think it typically costs around £3-4.50 to wash clothes and that to dry them it costs about £1.50 per drying cycle (which is about 30-60 mins). Some people opt to buy a clothes rack to save money on drying, but this can be a problem dependent on your room and how many clothes you want to dry as it can leave your room feeling damp and muggy.

I haven't known there to be ironing boards and irons. At uni, I have just used my desk, a thick blanket and a travel iron, but check with your accommodation.

There are usually a few washing machines in the laundry room, so it's not typically necessary for people to stop your cycle for their own washing. It is advisable though to try to avoid busy times e.g. Saturday mornings. It's better to get up early on a particular morning or to use a spare afternoon during the week to get your washing done. It's more likely for people to want to remove your clothes from the dryer than the washing machine because they want to dry their clothes and possibly want to use two dryers because they want to get their things dried quicker. If people move stuff they will tend to move it to the side or place it in a bag, rather than steal anything. The best way to avoid worrying that someone is going to move your stuff from the dryer is either to stay in the laundry room or to set yourself a reminder on your phone to collect your laundry. (I think if you pay with an app, then the app lets you know when your drying is done.)

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending