The Student Room Group

Oxford for English

Hi- I am predicted roughly A*AB in English lit, Bio and French for a level (though idk for definite due to COVID and the lack of mocks this year). I got a 9 and an 8 in English at GCSE. I was thinking of applying to oxford for English. I am aware that my grades aren’t the best but it’s worth a try, there’s nothing to lose. What do you think my chances of getting in are? Is there anything I can do to I crease these chances? Thanks.
With that predicted B, I don't think it's likely you'd be called to interview, sadly, as you technically wouldn't meet the minimum offer requirements :frown: Is there any way you can persuade your French teacher to predict you at least an A? :ninja:
Original post by Davo1531
Hi- I am predicted roughly A*AB in English lit, Bio and French for a level (though idk for definite due to COVID and the lack of mocks this year). I got a 9 and an 8 in English at GCSE. I was thinking of applying to oxford for English. I am aware that my grades aren’t the best but it’s worth a try, there’s nothing to lose. What do you think my chances of getting in are? Is there anything I can do to I crease these chances? Thanks.

If you applied with A*AA already attained or got your French teacher to change your predicted grade, I think you'd have a shot. If you had roughly 8 GCSEs at 7s and above, that would also help.
Reply 3
Original post by Confusedboutlife
If you applied with A*AA already attained or got your French teacher to change your predicted grade, I think you'd have a shot. If you had roughly 8 GCSEs at 7s and above, that would also help.

Thank you! So if hypothetically If I applied with the A as a predicted grade and then got a B, would Oxford have a problem with that?
Thank you! So if hypothetically If I applied with the A as a predicted grade and then got a B, would Oxford have a problem with that?

You would have missed the offer conditions so they would be no longer be under obligation to take you. They might anyway (e.g. I got AAB at A2 and was accepted anyway) but you shouldn't count on it - these cases are few and far between :yes:
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You would have missed the offer conditions so they would be no longer be under obligation to take you. They might anyway (e.g. I got AAB at A2 and was accepted anyway) but you shouldn't count on it - these cases are few and far between :yes:

Ah alright thank you! What did you study? Did you study English? And if so what would you recommend putting on the application that would help you stand out?
Ah alright thank you! What did you study? Did you study English? And if so what would you recommend putting on the application that would help you stand out?

I studied music, so don't know about English Lit-specific personal statement stuff. The other poster in this thread is doing an English Lit degree afaik, so they will probably have much better advice than me :biggrin: But remember: quality over quantity: don't just reel off a list of books/poems/plays. Make sure you say insightful things about them :yep:

It's also important to do well in the ELAT, which is the Oxford-specific pre-interview test for English :smile:
Reply 7
I studied music, so don't know about English Lit-specific personal statement stuff. The other poster in this thread is doing an English Lit degree afaik, so they will probably have much better advice than me :biggrin: But remember: quality over quantity: don't just reel off a list of books/poems/plays. Make sure you say insightful things about them :yep:

It's also important to do well in the ELAT, which is the Oxford-specific pre-interview test for English :smile:

Okay thank you! And wow music - one of my
passions (grade 8 in singing and flute) and I can’t imagine how much more difficult it is at uni - wow! Is there any way I can practise for the ELAT and know what it entails? :smile:
Reply 8
With that predicted B, I don't think it's likely you'd be called to interview, sadly, as you technically wouldn't meet the minimum offer requirements :frown: Is there any way you can persuade your French teacher to predict you at least an A? :ninja:

Thank you- yeah I could possibly (though I seriously doubt that I would achieve it.) They do say there is some leniency with French as it is widely respected as not many do it but I don’t think that would make a difference at Oxford?
Other than that, did you study English? If so, what sort of things did you put in your personal statement? Is there anything that would make you stand out. I am grade 8 in both singing and flute (or rather I was about to take my exams but COVID put that on hold) so could I put that down in some way even though it isn’t to do with English??
Also, how did you prep for your ELAT? :smile:
Thank you- yeah I could possibly (though I seriously doubt that I would achieve it.) They do say there is some leniency with French as it is widely respected as not many do it but I don’t think that would make a difference at Oxford?
Other than that, did you study English? If so, what sort of things did you put in your personal statement? Is there anything that would make you stand out. I am grade 8 in both singing and flute (or rather I was about to take my exams but COVID put that on hold) so could I put that down in some way even though it isn’t to do with English??
Also, how did you prep for your ELAT? :smile:

Think you meant to quote @Confusedboutlife here, rather than me again :yep:

(As a non-English Lit person: I believe past and/or practice ELAT papers are available online somewhere. Confusedboutlife can maybe confirm :ninja: )
Reply 10
Original post by Confusedboutlife

Also, how did you prep for your ELAT?
Also, how did you prep for your ELAT?

As far as I know, its very unusual to be accepted if you miss your offer. But don't doubt yourself! If you work very hard on French, you could still get an A. If you work regularly at all your A-Levels and use Youtube etc, there's no reason why you can't get higher grades than you imagined. French is a very useful subject for an English degree! Your Grade 8 in Flute and Singing is really impressive. While I don't think Oxford would care too much (unless, for example, you looked at how certain poems were set to music and had something to say about that), other universities definitely will take note of it.

I do English currently, yes! The main thing to remember about a PS for Oxbridge is that it is discussed in the interview: this is probably a better place to 'stand out' than the PS. I'd suggest giving yourself a maximum number of 9-10 books on your PS. It is good to try and show range, both in terms of genre and historical period (short poems are a great way to look at some older texts). But above all follow your interests, as what they're really looking for is someone who speaks well on the texts they've chosen to write about. The In Our Times archives, Ted Talks, Wikipedia, the school of life, crash course literature, book introductions, and Oxford's podcasts are fantastic resources which will give you helpful context and alert you to the key questions and tensions within your books. Try to ask yourself, why does your reading of a text matter? How do your texts push you and unsettle you? Is your reading of a text accurate? (this is where reading about your texts can help by setting you on the right track).

For the ELAT, I'd recommend looking at the sample answers. Try and see why certain answers did better. I think in the ELAT they're looking for someone who says their main point in the introduction, then proves it in the essay with clear and concise language. I'd keep your thesis statement quite clear so this is easier to do. In practice essays, I wrote three main body paragraphs, and in the first sentence tried to clearly state what the rest of the paragraph was about which linked to my overall argument. For example, in a practice essay I wrote on Storms, my overall argument was in one extract the storm is confronted and avoided in the other. Then one of my main body paragraphs said both extracts dealt with the storm through music (but one tried to avoid, the other tried to confront). Of course, this is allied with accurate close readings that back up your points and don't go on tangents (this can often happen when doing the 'multiple readings' you're taught at A-Level). Your knowledge of prepositions, subject object etc. from French could be helpful here, as well as some rhetorical terms (so imagery and sensory language, yes, but also anaphora, polyptoton, ploce). Terms in themselves won't get you marks, obviously, but they give you something to look for. I didn't do this, but learning different kinds of poetic form (sonnet, ballad, etc) can be helpful too. Some people overdo it here though: better to spend time practising making an argument than learning rare terms which you probably won't use. Remember that they won't award any marks for context in the ELAT, so I wouldn't try to write about tropes or historical events. Also remember that the skills you use in the ELAT are very similar to the ones you are still practising at degree, so everything I've written above is something I'm still trying to work on myself! When I actually did my ELAT, I majorly ran out of time and only wrote 2 main body paragraphs, so it isn't everything. But they do use it a lot when deciding who to shortlist for the interview (40% ELAT, 20% written work, 17.5% UCAS Form, 17.5% Contextualised GCSE), so it is something you could use to really boost your application.

Source: https://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/sites/www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/files/inline-files/English%20Admissions%20Feedback%202019-20.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending