The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

[Golden Thread] What do you think the world will look like in 5/10 years' time?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I understand that it’s preventing parents from working as they have to watch their children, especially younger ones.
Original post by MusicalMe101
Yeah, I understand that it’s preventing parents from working as they have to watch their children, especially younger ones.

Parenting rn must be hard but some lucky ones get a chance to actually saviour the time with their famiies
Round about the same like it has been this past decade. Not that different.
Yeah, especially those with multiple young children. When there are older kids in the family who can help out the pressure is taken off the parents every now and then, but I can’t imagine how hard it is for parents right now who are juggling parenting with work.
I think there will be a lot more health and safety measures to prevent possible outbreaks and epidemics.
Original post by medicalsupernova
I think there will be a lot more health and safety measures to prevent possible outbreaks and epidemics.

How do you explain previous outbreaks like SARS not affecting new measurements?
Original post by Noodlzzz
How do you explain previous outbreaks like SARS not affecting new measurements?

I am guessing there are many reasons as to why they haven't placed new measures but I think there are two main ones for any country:
1) The economic damage - Although, the SARS outbreak in 2003 caused economic damage, I don't think it was as severe or as disastrous as what the COVID -19 virus is causing.

SARS : USD 40 billion (approx.)
COVID -19: USD 1-2.7 trillion (estimated)

Spoiler

2) The reach & extent of the pandemics - SARS caused 774 deaths and had 8098 cases worldwide whereas COVID-19 has currently caused 716,000 deaths and has had 19.2 million cases worldwide. (:frown: makes me so sad to think of all those families who've lost loved ones)

But I do acknowledge that there are probably many reasons as to why measures should've been placed during the SARS outbreak in 2003 but maybe they were outweighed by the cost of preventing another outbreak and maybe technology wasn't as advanced to predict the impact so countries may have assumed the economic and social impact would be low and the chances of another happening to be low as well so they didn't probably think about placing new measures. :rolleyes:
I do think that this will (hopefully :crossedf:) stir a change to prevent outbreaks affecting us like COVID-19 has affected us now.
Original post by CatusStarbright
This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 20th August 2020 to be in with a chance of winning an Amazon Voucher! The more you post, the higher your chance of winning :yep: But remember not to spam or your post will be removed :nope:

We live in a time where a lot of change is happening fairly quickly. Ten years ago, in 2010, we were on the iPhone 4, David Cameron was Prime Minister, and Prince William got engaged to Kate Middleton. Five years ago, in 2015, we were on the iPhone 6/6S, we had the Charlie Hebdo attack and the rise of ISIS, same-sex marriage was legal in 22 countries, and the European migrant crisis was in full swing.

Now in 2020, we have a pandemic virus, increased political concern about the climate, the BLM movement, and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left the royal family.

What do you think the world will look like in 5/10 years' time?

Here's the list of 2020 golden threads:

Golden ThreadsWhat will you miss about lockdown?
Sum up 2020 so far in a gif/meme
What would you change your TSR username to, and why?
If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
What do you think the world will look like in 5 years time?
If you were president for the day, what rule would you enforce?
What did you accomplish during lockdown?
How has lockdown changed your role?
What's the most useful thing you learnt at school?
Design a sandwich for 8472 to eat
How has lockdown changed your exercise regime?

Rishi Sunak will be the Right Honorable Prime Minister of His Majesty's Government.
I am guessing there are many reasons as to why they haven't placed new measures but I think there are two main ones for any country:
1) The economic damage - Although, the SARS outbreak in 2003 caused economic damage, I don't think it was as severe or as disastrous as what the COVID -19 virus is causing.

SARS : USD 40 billion (approx.)
COVID -19: USD 1-2.7 trillion (estimated)

Spoiler

2) The reach & extent of the pandemics - SARS caused 774 deaths and had 8098 cases worldwide whereas COVID-19 has currently caused 716,000 deaths and has had 19.2 million cases worldwide. (:frown: makes me so sad to think of all those families who've lost loved ones)

But I do acknowledge that there are probably many reasons as to why measures should've been placed during the SARS outbreak in 2003 but maybe they were outweighed by the cost of preventing another outbreak and maybe technology wasn't as advanced to predict the impact so countries may have assumed the economic and social impact would be low and the chances of another happening to be low as well so they didn't probably think about placing new measures. :rolleyes:
I do think that this will (hopefully :crossedf:) stir a change to prevent outbreaks affecting us like COVID-19 has affected us now.

After Ebola, Obama had taken measures which were all undone when Trump came by. If those had been stuck to, US would definitely not be in the state they are now.
That's so unfortunate :frown:
I figured I'd have a go at my own task!

5 years' time
We've finally got a vaccine for coronavirus that works for a lengthy amount of time (10 years+) so life has now mostly returned to the pre-pandemic normal. The amount of people who work from home part-time is much increased compared to 2019 levels. Films that come out in the cinema are much quicker to be released digitally (and later on DVD/Bluray) due to the success of digital release during the pandemic. Theatres have cottoned on and record performances for people to pay to watch online. The Apple iPhone is still fairly dominant. After the success of Windows 11, everyone is looking forward to the upcoming release of Windows 12. Trump lost the 2020 presidential election, so tensions between global powers are somewhat reduced (or is this wishful thinking?). The UK is still deeply unhappy with China over Hong Kong however.

10 years' time
The UK's finances are finally starting to recover after the recession caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Lots of people still prefer to work from home at least one day a week. Global warming is reaching a critical point despite the actions that have been taken to combat it, as they were not enough. The weather gets freakier every year. Apple has lost its dominance due to a number of strong challengers breaking up its market share. Windows is still a dominant force in personal computing however. Cancer survival rates are now much better, and treatments for dementia and Alzheimer's are on the way. Kim Jong-un died of a heart attack, and his successor made peace with South Korea. China has now fully absorbed Hong Kong.
(edited 3 years ago)
That's so unfortunate :frown:

Trumo got rid of the White Houde office on pandemic preparedness. The centres of Disease control were cut and these people were supposed to find diseases around the world, stop the spread there. Trump would have done well with conferring with the person who was in charge of the Ebola crisis when Covid became known, it was different to Ebola but similar in some ways, and what better way to handle than to have someone who has the knowledge and experience with something similar.
Tbh I doubt it would have made a great deal of difference.

I think the Governers had to take more control and put in place lockdowns, many of them didn’t want to. And even when they did happily lifted them early.

There is also cultural differences, especially to do with entrepreneurialism & the way welfare works in the US which impacts their views on lockdown.

Then their are other niche factors like the USs love of aircon which is literally everywhere.
Screw Trump! Defunding the environmental protections and this. Also too much more to list of things he’s made USA the way it is.
Original post by mnot
Tbh I doubt it would have made a great deal of difference.

I think the Governers had to take more control and put in place lockdowns, many of them didn’t want to. And even when they did happily lifted them early.

There is also cultural differences, especially to do with entrepreneurialism & the way welfare works in the US which impacts their views on lockdown.

Then their are other niche factors like the USs love of aircon which is literally everywhere.

It would have made a difference, they would have noted there was a virus spreading and could have slowed the spread, got anyone who came from places with the virus tested. Would surely have been less deaths due to covid.

Screw Trump! Defunding the environmental protections and this. Also too much more to list of things he’s made USA the way it is.

I don't understand those who defend him. Ngl
Makes me depressed about society if what 40% vote for him!?
EDIT: I meant to quote the response to my post not noodlzzz, did it on mobile.

I think most of the problems were the lack of lockdowns, the way they were managed and in particular when they were lifted.

Trumps rhetoric was definitely some of the most mind blowingly awful ive ever seen and seemed to be daily blunders.

But I think most of the lockdown mistakes lie with the governers who had the responsibility of utilising lockdown especially when you can compare how different states have had such different spreads & different rules.

The US did implement travel restrictions fairly fast but it was the lack of control internally.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
I think most of the problems were the lack of lockdowns, the way they were managed and in particular when they were lifted.

Trumps rhetoric was definitely some of the most mind blowingly awful ive ever seen and seemed to be daily blunders.

But I think most of the lockdown mistakes lie with the governers who had the responsibility of utilising lockdown especially when you can compare how different states have had such different spreads & different rules.

The US did implement travel restrictions fairly fast but it was the lack of control internally.

In all fairness, I do agree that the governors had a part. Some ignored the existence of covid until it was too late.
Also originally, there seemed to be a lack of structure, one was told to ring this number, who would tell you to go to this hospital, who would tell you you need to ring this number, etc going round in circles especially in the case of the first few people to get covid in the different states
Makes me depressed about society if what 40% vote for him!?

Lol

Latest

Trending

Trending