The Student Room Group

How should I revise for history GCSE 9-1

Hey,
I have been wondering how to revise history but I’ve been struggling: I understand the content but the content seems to be quite heavy, should I be memorising everything and I really want to do practice practice past papers but it seems my teachers are not online to mark them . My predicted grade is a grade 4 but I really want to push to a grade 5 or 6 or 7 ; grade 4 is an anomaly but considering I have not revised most of the content then I could potentially get it
but I’m currently revising the first section of my subject , Whitechapel 1870-1900 GCSE History Edexcel.
Reply 1
I personally found that rereading the textbook over and over again kept the facts in my head. If you can, buy your course's revision guide and/or the textbook and keep reading it over and over as if you were reading a book.

It's very possible that this method may not work for you but if you can it is at least worth a try. Other than that, knowing how the examiners will give you marks is another big thing. When I was doing GCSE History a 12 mark essay would need exactly two 'for' arguments, two 'against' arguments and a conclusion. This was for CIE, not Edexcel, but the the principle of knowing how you are going to be examined will make a massive difference.
blurting worked for me. Write everything you know about an event or person. Then using your notes write in another colour the things you didn't write down. Focus on learning this information and keep repeating this method. Timelines and practise essays are also really helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JessD3333
blurting worked for me. Write everything you know about an event or person. Then using your notes write in another colour the things you didn't write down. Focus on learning this information and keep repeating this method. Timelines and practise essays are also really helpful :smile:

Thank You!
Reply 4
Original post by WillPhillips
I personally found that rereading the textbook over and over again kept the facts in my head. If you can, buy your course's revision guide and/or the textbook and keep reading it over and over as if you were reading a book.

It's very possible that this method may not work for you but if you can it is at least worth a try. Other than that, knowing how the examiners will give you marks is another big thing. When I was doing GCSE History a 12 mark essay would need exactly two 'for' arguments, two 'against' arguments and a conclusion. This was for CIE, not Edexcel, but the the principle of knowing how you are going to be examined will make a massive difference.

Thank You!
Try and make condensed flash cards for each topic as you go along from the revision guide/textbooks and go practise questions timed. Even if your teacher doesn’t mark it it can still help you with being able to write in short amount of time and help you realise gaps in your knowledge
Reply 6
Original post by Xunknownx
Try and make condensed flash cards for each topic as you go along from the revision guide/textbooks and go practise questions timed. Even if your teacher doesn’t mark it it can still help you with being able to write in short amount of time and help you realise gaps in your knowledge

Thank You !!
Original post by Philemon4
Hey,
I have been wondering how to revise history but I’ve been struggling: I understand the content but the content seems to be quite heavy, should I be memorising everything and I really want to do practice practice past papers but it seems my teachers are not online to mark them . My predicted grade is a grade 4 but I really want to push to a grade 5 or 6 or 7 ; grade 4 is an anomaly but considering I have not revised most of the content then I could potentially get it
but I’m currently revising the first section of my subject , Whitechapel 1870-1900 GCSE History Edexcel.

I've just finished A levels (didn't do history A level) so my mind is a bit fuzzy on my technique but I got a 9 in 2018 so thought I could weigh in. I made really concise flashcards of information (REALLY concise) and tried to memorise key dates and case studies/examples and then do some practice essays (well my history teacher forced me to do loads of essays as homework but it worked out well I guess :smile:).
Reply 8
Original post by Sososnake
I've just finished A levels (didn't do history A level) so my mind is a bit fuzzy on my technique but I got a 9 in 2018 so thought I could weigh in. I made really concise flashcards of information (REALLY concise) and tried to memorise key dates and case studies/examples and then do some practice essays (well my history teacher forced me to do loads of essays as homework but it worked out well I guess :smile:).

I should try essays thank you!! x

Quick Reply

Latest