The Student Room Group

How? what? To get grade 9 .

Hi all,
thanks for viewing this,

Im gonna have to write gcses in 2024

so I have joined my new school in the month of January 2023 and Had my Year 10 mocks in june/july.

Here are my grades from Jan to July (since the day i have joined this school):

English Language (Edexcel) :
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 4+
-----Current Grade -:4+
-----Target Grade-: 6

English Literature (Edexcel):
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 8
-----Current Grade -:6

Maths (Set3) (Edexcel) (Really want to move up to Higher Set2)
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 3-
-----Current Grade -:3

Geography(Aqa ig)
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 2-
-----Current Grade -:2-
-----Target Grade-: 4

History(Edexcel ig)

PE GCSE ( AQA) (Physical Education)
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 7
-----Current Grade -:7

Design Technology/DT(AQA) (Product Design)
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 2
-----Current Grade -:2+
-----Target Grade-: 5

Combined Science Trilogy(Set3) (Foundation) (AQA) (Really want to move up to Higher)
----- Mock Exam Grade-: 4-4
-----Current Grade -:5-4
-----Target Grade-: 5-5

So, Based on these scores, How do I get a Grade 9 for Main Subjects Like Maths, Science and English??
Please help me on this.
Any information would be Helpful.

Thank you So much.
Hoping to get Many Replies.
Reply 1
Past papers are extremely useful for maths and science. I would recommend doing these past papers until you get 100% on each paper,, that’s what helped me with all of my subjects . I got a 9 in English literature and I would recommend watching Stacey Reay’s videos on YouTube ( these are for the top top grade students). Always in english lit and language give alternative opinions and reasonings, don’t just go for the basic points, go for the judicious comments and ones that not everyone is going to mention . Your mock grade for English is amazing and I’m sure you can defo get a 9 if you put in the work!

Books I recommend:
You can find these all on Amazon
Quotation bank ( guys this is an amazing book and I highly recommend for amazing points to add for each key quote you have)

Accolade press books . They have exemplar essays for your chosen text and the essays are definitely grade 9 and I would even say that it’s above grade 9 level .

Good luck with all your subjects, you can do this :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by tealpencil
Past papers are extremely useful for maths and science. I would recommend doing these past papers until you get 100% on each paper,, that’s what helped me with all of my subjects . I got a 9 in English literature and I would recommend watching Stacey Reay’s videos on YouTube ( these are for the top top grade students). Always in english lit and language give alternative opinions and reasonings, don’t just go for the basic points, go for the judicious comments and ones that not everyone is going to mention . Your mock grade for English is amazing and I’m sure you can defo get a 9 if you put in the work!

Books I recommend:
You can find these all on Amazon
Quotation bank ( guys this is an amazing book and I highly recommend for amazing points to add for each key quote you have)

Accolade press books . They have exemplar essays for your chosen text and the essays are definitely grade 9 and I would even say that it’s above grade 9 level .

Good luck with all your subjects, you can do this :biggrin:

Oh wow,
This is amazing.

Thank you so much for all the information you’ve told me. Really appreciate.

I will use your recommendations.

Thank you so much again. 😀😁😊
Original post by charan_007
Hi all,
thanks for viewing this,

so I have joined my new school in the month of January 2023 and Had my Year 10 mocks in june/july.

Geography(Aqa ig)

History(Edexcel ig)

Combined Science Trilogy(Set3) (Foundation) (AQA) (Really want to move up to Higher)

So, Based on these scores, How do I get a Grade 9 for Main Subjects Like Maths, Science and English??
Please help me on this.

Thank you So much.

I had similar results to you during my
mocks (apart from science's and maths) and went to 8s and 7s in GCSEs so don't lose hope (and I also revised the day before too so don't worry ab revising too late :wink: )

Here are my tips based on the subject I did, which I can see you did as well

Science:
Use this tip for every subject under science - MAKE SURE TO MEMORISE YOUR PRACTICALS!
Not just memorise them, learn the human errors, how to improve the experiment, and the DV/IV of every experiment.
These questions are worth 6 marks, which you can not lose out for!

-> Since you're in year 11 rn and it's nearly December, i wouldn't waste my time making notes. Not only does it NOT help, you'll be too focused on writing the notes to understand the topic and also practising questions.
I would instead print off a bunch of knowledge organisers. These are life-saver! It's tiny boxes that summarise every key point from the spec about a topic. You may have to print maybe 1-3 Knowledge organisers for the same topic depending where you get them from (I can't sure your organisers have all the key points, you can also go through your spec and check yourself - add on if anything is missing

-> LOTS of PMT qs, those Qs were a lifesaver, and I know ur combined and sum Qs in PMT r triple, but just suck it up and do it. It's so worth it. Trust me.

-> Also, go through every past paper and whichever question you get wrong, make a flashcard on one side with the qs and the other side the ans
-> You can also use the flashcards to help you with any topics you don't understand/keep getting wrong and

Maths:
-> There's no easy way to say this, but maths is practice. Mathsgenie does it all for you, and if you have access to save my exams, that's the best!
Just search packs for the topic you want to practice, watch a video or two and every week from now on, and try to master 1-3 topics.
There are, I believe, individually 90 topics you should be able to answer. If you master 45 of the topics (45 hard topics), you will get a 9.
^ How do I know this? Cuz this was the tip my maths tutor gave my class, and we all came out with grade 7-9s (9 being the most common)

History:
-> I went from a 2 in history to an 8 overnight (no, literally, I never revised for history till the day before the exam)

-> What I would do is memorise the question structure. History is a straightforward subject. There', in a wa, only 1 correct answer, written in 1 correct structure. Im unsure of Edexcels structur, so ican'tt help youwithn the specific structure for each q, sadly.

-> Also, memorise knowledge organisers.
Idk if im super good at memorisin, but it was the only way i believe i got an 8 in history.
I printed off this massive 8 page long knowledge organiser of every topic and memorised every single word
^ this not only helped me understand the content, but I also had enough knowledge to add to my 12 markers, etc

-> Make your teacher mark past papers you do at home as well (The day before I gave in a paper to my teacher who marked and graded it as an 8, that's when ik what I was doing was correct)

I'm not gonna write ab english since i struggled with that a lot and it's too complicated to explain without showing it?
My top tips for english are:
- memorise your techniques
- categorise your annotations which you're going to use in ur essay (eg every quotes to do with anger should be under 1/2 paragraph, all your quotes to do with sadness should be under 1/2 paragraphs)
- make sure your ideas are flowing well together
- learn how to introduce and conclude you essays correctly
- learn how to introduce and conclude your paragraphs correctly
- learn to include context in basically every paragraph
- spoon feed the examiner and explain EVERYTHING

^ this is what got me from a streak of grade 3s in English to an 8
Original post by limbobimbo
Hi all,
thanks for viewing this,

Geography(Aqa ig)

History(Edexcel ig)

Please help me on this.

Thank you So much.

mocks (apart from science's and maths) and went to 8s and 7s in GCSEs so don't lose hope (and I also revised the day before too so don't worry ab revising too late :wink: )

Science:
Use this tip for every subject under science - MAKE SURE TO MEMORISE YOUR PRACTICALS!
Not just memorise them, learn the human errors, how to improve the experiment, and the DV/IV of every experiment.

-> Since you're in year 11 rn and it's nearly December, i wouldn't waste my time making notes. Not only does it NOT help, you'll be too focused on writing the notes to understand the topic and also practising questions.
I would instead print off a bunch of knowledge organisers. These are life-saver! It's tiny boxes that summarise every key point from the spec about a topic. You may have to print maybe 1-3 Knowledge organisers for the same topic depending where you get them from (I can't sure your organisers have all the key points, you can also go through your spec and check yourself - add on if anything is missing

-> LOTS of PMT qs, those Qs were a lifesaver, and I know ur combined and sum Qs in PMT r triple, but just suck it up and do it. It's so worth it. Trust me.

-> Also, go through every past paper and whichever question you get wrong, make a flashcard on one side with the qs and the other side the ans
-> You can also use the flashcards to help you with any topics you don't understand/keep getting wrong and

Maths:
-> There's no easy way to say this, but maths is practice. Mathsgenie does it all for you, and if you have access to save my exams, that's the best!
Just search packs for the topic you want to practice, watch a video or two and every week from now on, and try to master 1-3 topics.
There are, I believe, individually 90 topics you should be able to answer. If you master 45 of the topics (45 hard topics), you will get a 9.
^ How do I know this? Cuz this was the tip my maths tutor gave my class, and we all came out with grade 7-9s (9 being the most common)

History:
-> I went from a 2 in history to an 8 overnight (no, literally, I never revised for history till the day before the exam)

-> What I would do is memorise the question structure. History is a straightforward subject. There', in a wa, only 1 correct answer, written in 1 correct structure. Im unsure of Edexcels structur, so ican'tt help youwithn the specific structure for each q, sadly.

Idk if im super good at memorisin, but it was the only way i believe i got an 8 in history.
I printed off this massive 8 page long knowledge organiser of every topic and memorised every single word
^ this not only helped me understand the content, but I also had enough knowledge to add to my 12 markers, etc

-> Make your teacher mark past papers you do at home as well (The day before I gave in a paper to my teacher who marked and graded it as an 8, that's when ik what I was doing was correct)

I'm not gonna write ab english since i struggled with that a lot and it's too complicated to explain without showing it?
- categorise your annotations which you're going to use in ur essay (eg every quotes to do with anger should be under 1/2 paragraph, all your quotes to do with sadness should be under 1/2 paragraphs)

Ignore the countless of errors i made, auto correct is actually killing me and paired with my horrible spelling skills is like a doomed mission 😑
Reply 5

Science:

Maths:

History:

Hello,
Omg thq so much. This is a lot of beneficial information for me to move ahead.
Thank you.

Science:

Maths:

History:

Hello,
Omg thq so much. This is a lot of beneficial information for me to move ahead.
Thank you.

Nwss

Quick Reply

Latest