The Student Room Group

please respond (history related)

Hello guys , I was wondering if anyone w/ a grade 9/8 in history could tell me how should i revise for GCSE history over the summer holidays (i have a month left and i revise history for 5 days/week)

im revising USA in 1920s rn

what else should i do for maxiumum efficiency while revising history

also if u have any ppq edexel questions fr GCSE HISTORY please send it through a link

Thanks a bunch :smile:
Original post by SS212314Z
Hello guys , I was wondering if anyone w/ a grade 9/8 in history could tell me how should i revise for GCSE history over the summer holidays (i have a month left and i revise history for 5 days/week)

im revising USA in 1920s rn

what else should i do for maxiumum efficiency while revising history

also if u have any ppq edexel questions fr GCSE HISTORY please send it through a link

Thanks a bunch :smile:

I got a 9 in GCSE history, and I also took it for a level and am predicted an a* (I’ve just finished year 13 and waiting for results 😭). At my school we did Conflict and Tension, Germany, Elizabeth and Medicine but these methods will apply to all topics.

Although do revise, please make sure you have a rest this summer! Your well-being is important too!

This is how I revised:
1) flash cards: use Quizlet to create flashcard sets, only type down the stats and key facts however, not huge paragraphs of content.

2) “10 quick questions”: ( for me this is the most under used but most important) I had a brilliant GCSE and a level teacher who at the beginning of each lesson would give us 10 mins to complete 10 questions based on the topic we had learnt before so our memories were kept refreshed, this way, older stats and facts never left our memories. Maybe create yourself some 10 quick question sheets to complete at the beginning of each revision session before you revise new content.

3)mindmaps: add diagrams, pictures to a large a3 sheet of paper. You can also plan exam Qs like this too.
4)exam questions: complete these in timed conditions, show them to a teacher. Technique is especially important. Familiarise yourself with the marks each question is worth, the techniques needed and structure of each question (particularly the source questions). Perhaps look some cartoons up and attempt to work out what they mean, and predict some that could come up.

5)acronyms. My teacher created acronyms such as LAMB for the Treaty of Versailles (land, army, money,blame). in the exam, you can write them at the top of your paper, which will trigger your memory.

6)revision games: our teacher created games for us to play. Sometimes our whole lessons were based on a game show on the content we were learning, and this also made the content memorable. But understandably not every teacher puts this much effort into lessons.

7)I think the most important thing to do , which doesn’t take a huge amount of effort is to expand your knowledge on the topic. For a level, it was very important to read past the textbook, and this is important for a grade 8/9 at GCSE too. Watch some documentaries, read around. Genuine interest will encourage your brain to remember the info and prevent boredom.

Overall, use a combo of the above, if you revise the same way all the time, your memory will get blurry. Using a combo is better. Hope this helps and good luck😃
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending