The Student Room Group

Chemistry Help Question 4

I have got compounds A and B. But I am struggling to get from B to C and D.

If you could explain how they get this, would be much appreciated

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
I have got compounds A and B. But I am struggling to get from B to C and D.

If you could explain how they get this, would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi, I hope you're doing great! :smile:

For questions like this, I'd normally solve by taking the forwards& backward approach.
From the information provided, list down all the facts you know about each compound.

For example,

Compound A is optically active. Hence it has a chiral centre, meaning, a carbon attached to four different atoms/ group of atoms. Since it reacts with hydrogen with platinum as its catalyst, we can deduce that there should be a "kink" meaning a C=C.

Compound B isn't optically active, (doesn't have a chiral centre), and since it reacts with NaOH(aq) to form two separate compounds, (C and D), we can deduce that it has an ester group. I've attached an image to illustrate it.

I'm sure that you can figure it out from here! :smile: Have a good one!
Original post by Yuno2001
Hi, I hope you're doing great! :smile:

For questions like this, I'd normally solve by taking the forwards& backward approach.
From the information provided, list down all the facts you know about each compound.

For example,

Compound A is optically active. Hence it has a chiral centre, meaning, a carbon attached to four different atoms/ group of atoms. Since it reacts with hydrogen with platinum as its catalyst, we can deduce that there should be a "kink" meaning a C=C.

Compound B isn't optically active, (doesn't have a chiral centre), and since it reacts with NaOH(aq) to form two separate compounds, (C and D), we can deduce that it has an ester group. I've attached an image to illustrate it.

I'm sure that you can figure it out from here! :smile: Have a good one!

Thank you for your answer, it makes its so clear thanksss

Wish I could rep you 1000x
Reply 3
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
Thank you for your answer, it makes its so clear thanksss

Wish I could rep you 1000x

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest