The Student Room Group

What is the best way to do A-levels at the age of 21

So I dropped out of college half way through my first year. Now ive hit a point where i feel like i really want to start again and make it to uni eventually. Just wondering what people would recommend when it comes to studying A-levels from home, and if there is any good services anyone could recommend. Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by the new guyp
So I dropped out of college half way through my first year. Now ive hit a point where i feel like i really want to start again and make it to uni eventually. Just wondering what people would recommend when it comes to studying A-levels from home, and if there is any good services anyone could recommend. Thanks for any help in advance.

How old are you, if u are 18 or under u could probs do alevels from the start again
Original post by Tello
How old are you, if u are 18 or under u could probs do alevels from the start again

Im 21, spent a few years doing things and figuring stuff out and now im really interested in picking up where i left off. I see a lot of courses where you can study A-levels from home and was really thinking about going that route but figured I would come here to get a second opinion
I just turned 19 and am in my last year of a levels. Have been studying from home past 1.5-2 years. First thing: what subjects where you good at gcse?
It might be worth doing an Access to HE course, or Open University modules. They're better suited to part-time learners. Do you know what and where you want to study?

Almost every university accepts Access to HE and you can pay it with student loan (which gets written off if you finish uni!).
Original post by ibby68
I just turned 19 and am in my last year of a levels. Have been studying from home past 1.5-2 years. First thing: what subjects where you good at gcse?

got B's across the board at gcse. I wanna do history in uni so id be doing history and 2 other a levels
got B's across the board at gcse. I wanna do history in uni so id be doing history and 2 other a levels

Ok so you got pretty similar results to me. So for basically any essay subject you will need a tutor. I would do it through distance learning. I cant speak for any of the distance learning providers apart from the one that I use. I use Wolsey hall oxford. As far as I am aware they do history. Basically with Wolsey they give you the book for your specification, and tell you the exact pages to read for each assignment, you take notes from the book for each assignment/module and then you do the assignment. There is usually like 10+ questions on the assignment and once you do it you will get feedback from the tutors(which in my experience is usually very helpful.) For my subject there is 16 assignments(8 at AS) (8 at A2). And then you can do mocks that will get marked at the end. They use to make people pay for the mocks to be marked but this year they offered if for free(I think this is because of the pandemic tho) so if you do use them make sure you bring it up.

Pros: -The tutors are actually quite good and responsive
-Assignments and programme of study are comprehensive and are updated..
Downsides: -Cost
- The assignments can be a bit extra like they might include stuff that isn't in the syllabus but this is usually to further your understanding.
-May have to pay to get mocks marked(not 100 percent sure)

If you want to do maths, dont use distance learner providers, it is very easy to self teach and if you struggle a bit just get a tutor. (Coming from someone who only got a 6/B in maths)
-
Reply 7
My mates 24, he did an HE course got Alevels with a years course for over 19 years and is now studying nursing at UNI :smile:
Im 21, spent a few years doing things and figuring stuff out and now im really interested in picking up where i left off. I see a lot of courses where you can study A-levels from home and was really thinking about going that route but figured I would come here to get a second opinion
I also recommend Access to Higher Education as a better alternative to A levels for mature students who have been out of education for a while and want to go to uni. They are run full time- one year- part time and via distance learning. You could start by looking to see if your local college runs them

Quick Reply

Latest