The Student Room Group

Going to uni at 21?

I'm thinking of going back to uni next September after dropping last year because I wasn't enjoying it. I think uni did more for my social life than my career since I made a good number of friends, even though I haven't spoken to them since dropping out.

I'm thinking of going back to uni but I'll be 21.
Will I be considered a mature student?
Will it be a problem friend-wise? Last time I went to uni, I didn't make any friends and was lonely. But if I do go back I'll be with 18 year olds with a 3 year age gap who'll probably want to distance themselves from older students.
Reply 1
I'm thinking of going back to uni next September after dropping last year because I wasn't enjoying it.

Will it be a problem friend-wise? Last time I went to uni, I didn't make any friends and was lonely. But if I do go back I'll be with 18 year olds with a 3 year age gap who'll probably want to distance themselves from older students.

Please ignore the first post - it wasn't written properly.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm thinking of going back to uni next September after dropping last year because I wasn't enjoying it. I think uni did more for my social life than my career since I made a good number of friends, even though I haven't spoken to them since dropping out.

Hey there!

There really isn't as much of an age gap between 18 and 21 as you might think in terms of things in common. For example, you'll already have things in common with your coursemates because you've literally picked the same course. There will also be a range of ages on your course, not jut 18 year olds. My course friendship group is a range of ages, the oldest being 23 when we were in first year and we didn't even notice the age difference until the end of the year. It wasn't something we thought to talk about because we had so much in common. I don't even think anyone will ask unless you tell them. It depends who you ask about whether 21 is classed as a mature student. Personally, I really don't see 21 as a mature student because by the time you're halfway through the course you're 21 anyway so it doesn't make much difference. In terms of accommodation, if you're really worried about the age gap and want to book privately sometimes they'll tell you what aged people are already booked into the flat and what year of study they're in so you could pick your preference that way.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Not officially a mature student - but it’s the type of thing that you might here some playful banter about.

Your age wouldn’t be an issue.

The questions i have are what is the motivation for a degree now?

Im 22 and have just started my 1st year at university. Last time I applied I changed my mind last minute and decided not to enrol because I didn't feel ready. I wouldn't worry about the age gap.

UCAS considers anyone over the age of 21 to be a mature student but it's honestly nothing but a phrase. University is so varied and mixed that I dont believe anyone would even notice. Our campus in particular is filled with students of all ages and it's refreshing to be able to bond with people from all backgrounds. Not everyone in your cohort will be 18 so don't worry about making friends, I'd also advise joining a club or society so you have that immediate common ground with people. I also made good friends through my work as a student ambassador.
I'm thinking of going back to uni next September after dropping last year because I wasn't enjoying it.

Please ignore the first post - it wasn't written properly.

Hi there,

I really wouldn't worry about the age gap. There are plenty of people in my year that have taken gap years and joined uni when they are 20 or 21 and you really don't notice. It doesn't make a difference as you are all in first year and starting uni and sharing the experience together. In your lectures or if you join clubs or societies you'll meet like minded people who share a common interest with you and that's more important than how old you are so there's no need to worry.

I hope this helped :smile:

Jess

Hi there,

I really don't think that going back to uni at 21 is considered too old in any way. I have friends from my first year (when I was 18) and they were 21 and I hardly notice the difference. I don't think that you'd really be considered a mature student, though it would be best to email the universities you are interested in to double-check. I'm sure that it wouldn't be a problem friend-wise, though I wouldn't expect it to meet the right people straight away.

I think that it's most important to go to university to get a degree in something that you're eager to study. If that's the case, you'll make the right friends along the way. If you want to return to university just for the social side, then maybe you should have a rethink. Maybe take part in an evening course or save up and take a break to go travelling (you['ll meet loads of people and, with good planning, gain amazing experiences for less £ than a degree that you're not interested in).

I hope this helps!

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by Anonymous #1

I’ll be 24 or 25 when I start but the course I want to do mainly consists of mature students anyway, 21 is still a baby.. you’ll be fine.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

Returning to university can indeed present its unique challenges, but remember that age is just a number. While you might be a bit older than some students, this doesn't necessarily mean you'll have trouble making friends. Many students start university at different ages, and what truly matters is your attitude and openness to new experiences. It's great to hear that you've previously made good friends at university. This shows that you have the social skills needed to build friendships. Also, the age gap may not be as significant as you think - a lot of students will appreciate your life experiences and maturity.

Good luck!
Ilya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending