The Student Room Group

A-Levels

After a few of my older friends have started telling me to go to University, I started to get interested but I need level 3 qualifications to be able to get into it.

I am currently 21 years old and now trying to see if I could go to college to study for either BTECS or A Levels.

Would I need to pay for the course? Would it be possible to get student loans so I can still pay for my bills and other stuff? I don’t think I’d be able to get an income if I study Full-time.
Original post by himuraai03
After a few of my older friends have started telling me to go to University, I started to get interested but I need level 3 qualifications to be able to get into it.

I am currently 21 years old and now trying to see if I could go to college to study for either BTECS or A Levels.

Would I need to pay for the course? Would it be possible to get student loans so I can still pay for my bills and other stuff? I don’t think I’d be able to get an income if I study Full-time.

After a few of my older friends have started telling me to go to University, I started to get interested
You should really only go to uni because you want to, not because your friends tell you to (even though I appreciate they are looking out for your best interests).

Will be difficult with A Levels because the sort of colleges that offer A Levels are typically 6th forms and their cut off age for application is 17. Your best bet is to find an adult college that offers A Levels for people up to 25 (there are some out there but they are not as widespread). The second best bet is to do online college, but these would be more difficult because you need to study by yourself and they don't cover the in person practicals/NEAs that you need for some subjects e.g. sciences, English Lit, etc.

If you want to do BTEC, they should be available at adult colleges. However, do note that BTECs are not as widely accepted by unis as do A Levels. A telling sign that the uni won't accept BTEC for their particular course (because they might accept them generally for other degrees) is if the degree is particularly academic or there are numerous required subjects e.g. I have not seen BTECs ever being accepted for degrees in physics, medicine, or maths.
Should there be any shortfalls in your application (assuming they do accept BTECs), the undergrad admissions team would tell you to do extra A Levels to make up for the difference e.g. BTEC in Applied Science + A Level Chemistry/Biology for some life science degrees.

The alternative to the 2 options above would be to do a suitable Access course for the degree that you want to do (at the uni that you want to do). Access to HE typically are for people over 19 and have left full time education for a while, ideally targeting people who haven't done Level 3s before. The problem with them is that not all unis accept them (even though they are accepted more than BTECs in my opinion) and this can vary from course to course, so you would need to check the entry requirements for each course. Like BTECs, if there is any shortfalls in the course, they would ask you to do further A Levels to meet the requirements.

Would I need to pay for the course?
If you have not done Level 3 before, you shouldn't be required to pay for it. You would be asked to pay for any resits that you do. Even if you have done a Level 3 prior, there's a chance that you might be eligible for Advanced Learner's Loan if your course is based at an offline registered college (not likely to get any funding for online colleges unfortunately). You will need to check with Student Finance regarding this.

Would it be possible to get student loans so I can still pay for my bills and other stuff?
There are usually maintainance grants paid out to students in 6th form. However, I am not entirely clear about the case for people who are above 19 years of age. Your best bet is to talk to Student Finance.
As far as I know, they don't give student loans for those who aren't studying at university, but there's nothing to say that you can't get access to some sort of finance from your college. Usually the student loans are there to pay for your tuition as opposed to your bills.
Having said that, if you are indeed having financial difficulties, there is no harm to ask about any bursaries at the college that you attend or look into Universal Credit. As I don't know your personal circusmtances, nor do I wish to know, you would need to speak to appropriate staff regarding this.

I don’t think I’d be able to get an income if I study Full-time.
There are ways to earn income whilst you are studying (a number of people on this forum have done so), but it's very very difficult and I personally don't recommend it unless you are out of options and have a lot of big financial commitments. Universal Credit and bursaries where possible is my best recommendation.

Note: I am not a qualified finance professional, so seek professional advice from an appropriate certified professional regarding your financial matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending