The Student Room Group

Uni age

I’m really worried and upset because my year goes to uni this year but I can’t because I dropped out and changed my subject, so I’m with the year below. But this bothers me because I don’t want to be the only one my age at college, and I don’t want to be a year older than my year at uni. But I also don’t want to waste my last year of college just because of this.
Reply 1
Original post by frustrating-inst
I’m really worried and upset because my year goes to uni this year but I can’t because I dropped out and changed my subject, so I’m with the year below. But this bothers me because I don’t want to be the only one my age at college, and I don’t want to be a year older than my year at uni. But I also don’t want to waste my last year of college just because of this.

It's literally one year people will hardly notice or even care that you're a tiny bit older. People can go to uni at any age, and many people take gap years anyway so it's likely there will be plenty of others the same age as you in your cohort at uni. Beyond school years, your exact age kind of becomes less relevant anyway, so it's nothing to worry about :smile:

Hi @frustrating-instI promise you there is nothing to worry about! Plenty of people take gap years before heading to uni, so it’s highly likely there will be an abundance of people your age in your year at uni. It’s also very likely you’ll have people that are much, much older than you in your year, as people of any age above 18 can attend uni and plenty of people do just that :smile:

I also can’t imagine it being a massive issue that you’ll be one year older than the others in your year in college - it’s not a big difference and it’s also way more important that you’re given another chance to succeed, not what others think about you.

Good luck with retaking your college year!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Dude it’s 1 year I want to uni at 21 and was one of the youngest people in my course.
(edited 10 months ago)

You won't be the only one a year older/younger, lots of people take gap years and the scottish, welsh, irish and english education system all are different lengths and finish differently so that no one is the same year in uni
University students don’t follow on as school, people enroll at all different ages. Sure 18 & 19 are the most common ages of “home students” but there is a fair amount of variation.

Hi there @frustrating-inst, :smile:

Universities are full of students of all ages so trust me you won't be the only one, there's no set rule saying you have to go to university at a certain age so please try not to worry about the 1 year difference.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah
Reply 7

Ah bro, you'd be pretty surprised once you are at uni! I've met a ton of peope who are 20 and are with me in year 1. Met a couple of 21s, and even someone who is doing his second degree with us at 24. But beyond that, I'll be honest, no one cares as much as you think! And plus its just one year, you've got nothing to worry about I promise!
so many people do gap years, its more common than you think... you will meet people of all ages at uni 18-50s and possibly beyond that. Age really is not a big deal, as how it may feel having to resit a year in school. I went straight to uni at age 18 and found that the majority of people in my first year fit within the age bracket of 19-21, which made me one of the youngest.

I also did my first university placement with a lady who was 38 when i was 18! She was also in first year like me. So there you go even people who are almost 40 go to uni... we got on like a house on fire despite the 20 year age gap. You will meet people from all walks of life, ages and aspirations
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending