The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
True. But I think they had time to react to the second pit stop. Having checo in the race would have helped

The gap to Mercedes on mediums was larger than the gap on softs in pace so had they have reacted (creating an even longer last stint on mediums) then they'd have still been screwed.

The only hindsight way to battle would have been to go soft-soft-hard or soft-hard instead of copying Mercedes because they were neither fast enough on mediums or able to make them last.
(edited 2 years ago)
Still RB should have pitted and at least tried. We all knew they wouldn’t win by staying out. They had nothing to lose. Lewis didn’t do anything special, this win is solely down to his strategists, and Max drove his absolute best, he just didn’t have the tyres. Once again RB threw the win away, and very soon they’ll throw their championship chance away too.
Original post by Googley_eyes
Still RB should have pitted and at least tried. We all knew they wouldn’t win by staying out. They had nothing to lose. Lewis didn’t do anything special, this win is solely down to his strategists, and Max drove his absolute best, he just didn’t have the tyres. Once again RB threw the win away, and very soon they’ll throw their championship chance away too.

Not really. It was clear that on medium vs medium Max's tyres were struggling when Hamilton pitted 18 laps into Max's stint.

To react (and yes, hold track position) you are asking him to put mediums on and do a 24 lap stint (i.e. longer than the one he was struggling with) or put on the softs (even more likely to degrade).

The race could have been won by running a different strategy to Mercedes from the start but by lap 43 (when your suggesting they should have pitted to react) they had already lost the race because Max had shown us that within 18 laps his tyres would be gone (unless Red Bull put on hards perhaps).

They were simply slower with poor tyre life on the same tyre.
Original post by Googley_eyes

Yea, Lewis is really just an expensive paper weight really, another total fluke on his part.
Reply 1364
Original post by mnot
Yea, Lewis is really just an expensive paper weight really, another total fluke on his part.

He does this fluke time after time and not bottas.

gotta give him credit where it is due.

That being said this win was down to strategy. he just executed it well with a solid drive and let the car do the work.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by bj27
He does this fluke time after time and not bottas.

gotta give him credit where it is due.

That being said this win was down to strategy. he just executed it well with a solid drive and let the car do the work.

Yea its amazing how Lewis constantly flukes it and Valterri never gets the same luck, its almost like their is a performance differential.
What I’ll say is red bull dropped the ball slightly. But Lewis took that ball and ran with it. Csnt thimk of many others (maybe max) who would have done similar
What I’ll say is red bull dropped the ball slightly. But Lewis took that ball and ran with it. Csnt thimk of many others (maybe max) who would have done similar

I missed the live race and watched the hour long highlights which does miss a fair bit of detail, but it seemed to me like Red Bull were dammed if they do or dammed if they didn’t, it’s easy to say on reflection Red Bull missed a trick not pitting first (on stint 3) but realistically they must have been covering Lewis doing a one stopper.

I think Lewis was just quicker today and would have gotten round Max regardless of strategy.
Reply 1369
Have to say this songs suits perfectly

https://youtu.be/E5a9jebdUNg

Lol this guy is going super hard on the throttle. Needs to chill
Original post by mnot
I missed the live race and watched the hour long highlights which does miss a fair bit of detail, but it seemed to me like Red Bull were dammed if they do or dammed if they didn’t, it’s easy to say on reflection Red Bull missed a trick not pitting first (on stint 3) but realistically they must have been covering Lewis doing a one stopper.

I think Lewis was just quicker today and would have gotten round Max regardless of strategy.

I agree, lewis and merc were just too quick and fair play to max and Charles for holding off Lewis and Bottas for as long as they did.
Turkish media reporting Turkish gp has been cancelled. Nothing official yet
Turkish media reporting Turkish gp has been cancelled. Nothing official yet

Not surprised. It is a red list country
https://youtu.be/OnVlaPXQ5qY

Mazepin Hamilton I’m Barcelona. Don’t think Mazepin did anyrging wrong here. Merc we’re getting a bit jumpy on the radio
Calender update

Turkey has been cancelled. The French gp has been moved forward a week and there will now be 2 races with Austria
Was it due to Covid?

With a 23 race calender I would have preferred no addition.
Original post by Rakas21
Was it due to Covid?

Yes, due to Turkey being a red list country.

I think Liberty media is determined to claw back the lost TV revenue from last year.

I think we’ll be at 24 races next year (Miami I suspect will not be a replacement just an addition) and 25 not long after, now thats its in the concord agreement.
Original post by Rakas21
Was it due to Covid?

Yeah. I think we should be capped at 20 races but of course Liberty needs to get their money back
Qualifying is underway for the Indy Grand Prix at Ummm Indy,

Group 1 is topped by Veekay from Herta, Ed Jones, Jack Harvey, Graham rahal and Simon pagenoud go through. Ronsenviewt. Taku and Hunter Reay amonagst those out.Rogro goes in group 2
Newgarden tops group 2 from palou. McLaughlin and rogro also go through along with daly and power.

Some big names out including Rossi, Dixon, O’ward and Jain Pablo Montoya

Latest