The Student Room Group

Vectors a level question

is the answer (13,0,8)

Scroll to see replies

Can you post your working?
Original post by GabiAbi84
Can you post your working?

sure, here it is!
Right sort of method, but I think the 2 from the 2AC applies for 2 x the direction vector AC rather than just for C :smile:

Not sure where you got +6 from when comparing the r coordinate

Also on the last 3 lines, where did they come from, why didn’t you just divide by 3 when you had 3q = .... etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by laurawatt
Right method, but I think the 2 from the 2AC applies for 2 x the direction vector AC rather than just for C :smile:

Not sure where you got +6 from when comparing the r coordinate

so should it be what I wrote out first?
I wrote 2q+q= 20+2, my numbers were just. rlly weird tho!!
Right method, but I think the 2 from the 2AC applies for 2 x the direction vector AC rather than just for C :smile:

This^^

Plus you also have a random 6 appearing in the second line of your second stage for 2r+r =-5+6
Original post by wevegota2319

Work out the direction vector for AC then multiply by 2 for the 2AC - then work your method like you did before until you get 3q=... etc. and divide by 3 to get q

Your numbers are weird because you haven’t used the 2 for both of your initial workings.
Both sets of coordinates on the left hand side should be multiplied by 2-not just the first.
Your numbers are weird because you haven’t used the 2 for both of your initial workings.
Both sets of coordinates on the left hand side should be multiplied by 2-not just the first.

Work out the direction vector for AC then multiply by 2 for the 2AC - then work your method like you did before until you get 3q=... etc. and divide by 3 to get q

Thankyou to both of you!! I was just making such silly errors when writing the numbers down and I did what you both said and I have got it know thanks so much!!

this is what I got this time
Thankyou to both of you!! I was just making such silly errors when writing the numbers down and I did what you both said and I have got it know thanks so much!!

Perfect!!! Well done :smile: just make sure it’s written as a coordinate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Perfect!!! Well done :smile:

If you aren't too busy do you think you could help me with this question!
(I've just posted the question and what I have tried to do) :smile:

Awesome! Well done :biggrin: (remember it wants a coordinate rather than vector though :fyi: so it would be written (8,-1,5)

Do you have the answer for this, not sure if I’ve done it right but don’t want to tell you the wrong thing!
Do you have the answer for this, not sure if I’ve done it right but don’t want to tell you the wrong thing!

I’m honestly thinking the same thing. I have an answer but it’s been a while since I’ve done this so didn’t want to tell them wrong either..

So if you look at the question it tells you that AB and AC are in the same direction meaning that their unit vectors are the same. So start by you can find |AB|
(edited 3 years ago)

You've found AB\vec{AB} and its length. AC\vec{AC} is in the same direction but has length 77. So you just need to scale AB\vec{AB} so as to make it have length 77. (Which should be easy now if you have the length).

(And finally, don't forget to add A and AC\vec{AC} to get the actual position of C).
Original post by DFranklin
You've found AB\vec{AB} and its length. AC\vec{AC} is in the same direction but has length 77. So you just need to scale AB\vec{AB} so as to make it have length 77. (Which should be easy now if you have the length).

(And finally, don't forget to add A and AC\vec{AC} to get the actual position of C).

Okay im going to try it now thanks so much!! :smile:
Original post by DFranklin

I just tried it I tried to make the cs x y and z and im just a bit puzzled what step I should be doing
I just tried it I tried to make the cs x y and z and im just a bit puzzled what step I should be doing

Have you found |AB| ?
Have you found |AB| ?

nope ahh ill do that right now I don't understand why im finding this so hard to figure out what to do

Quick Reply

Latest