The Student Room Group

Why are Apple phones so popular

I can't get on with IPhones, I am much more of a Samsung person. Androids are far better, in my opinion. But it seems that Apple phones are very much in demand and I can't understand why.
A) iPhones are familiar and approachable, they're the most recognisable player in the smartphone industry for most non-enthusiast people.

B) Apple made the best smartphones early on in the life of the product segment and people who bought into them are incentivised to stay within that ecosystem for future purchases

C) Apple have a strong reputation for after sales support and a widely accessible high street presence

D) Android flagships are no long meaningfully cheaper than iPhones in a lot of scenarios, especially when the majority of people are purchasing via contract

E) Apple have an uncluttered and easily understandable product line, that the average buyer can decipher, or simply ask for "the newest iPhone" at their local O2 store

Don't get me wrong, I'm well and truly in the Android camp, but Apple have absolutely nailed it in terms of establishing themselves as the de-facto option in the hivemind of less informed consumers.
I'm not saying anything against IPhones, but Androids are much better. They allow users to do much more and Apple have restrictions. The last iPhone I owned was the IPhone 4, they have obviously updated since then. But I don't see myself returning to them anytime soon.
Original post by Charli-Lloyd
I can't get on with IPhones, I am much more of a Samsung person. Androids are far better, in my opinion. But it seems that Apple phones are very much in demand and I can't understand why.

Under Jobs, Apple was extremely focused on design and implementing few features, but very well. Post Jobs, IMO, there has been less focus, and lower software quality.

Other phone manufacturers have always offered better features, but now have vastly improved their design, to the point where you can get a lot more phone, with nice design features, for a lot less than with Apple. However, in many markets, there's still a certain status attached to owning an iPhone.
I'm not saying anything against IPhones, but Androids are much better. They allow users to do much more and Apple have restrictions. The last iPhone I owned was the IPhone 4, they have obviously updated since then. But I don't see myself returning to them anytime soon.

Your question was why people buy them, which has a very different answer to which system is better.
Reply 5
I switched to Apple after I had a horrendous malfunction with my HTC. I had no other reasoning than I owned an iPod at the time and used iTunes so thought I would try their phones. I’ve owned an iPhone ever since. Saying that, I’m comfortable with their products but I’m sure if I switched to an android phone, I’d be happy with it in no time. I’m not sticking with them for the name, simply because it’s what I’m used to. I’m also in no hurry to buy an Apple TV or MacBook.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Most people are not tech savy.

Someone can pick up any iphone and instantly know how to use it despite what version they may have used previously.
That's not true with android.

The user experience on iphone is very good.
I prefer android phones but iPhone are just as good and are so more user friendly. For example if I buy my mum a new android phone I'll have to show her how to use it.
Original post by adam271
Someone can pick up any iphone and instantly know how to use it despite what version they may have used previously.
That's not true with android.

I would somewhat disagree here. Both iOS and Android have undergone significant UI changes, to the extent someone only familiar with older versions may struggle to use a new version. Gesture based navigation for example is a huge change that takes some getting used to on either platform. Additionally, although iOS is often touted as being very user friendly, this assumes you've never used it before. As someone who is experienced with Android, my work iPhone feels incredibly unintuitive. In both cases, this boils down to habits.
To be fair, both have their own individual sets of pros and cons. Still, some of the main reasons for people go for iPhones are for the longer software support(5 years compared to 2-3 on a good Android), Apple Watch support, arguably better software optimisation(though all but the cheapest Android devices are still really good these days, with Pixels and OnePlus phones being particulalrly noteworthy in this area).

Personally, I'm an Android guy as I hate how Apple locks down iPhones, with restrictions ranging from digital(such as not being able to install apps from outside the App Store), to physical(google "Apple right to repair").

I feel like they're both ****. iPhones are bad. Motorola, Nokia, Google and Sony have much cleaner software than Samsung's overrated mess. Coming from an angry Samsung user.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending