The Student Room Group

Are iPads worthwhile for distant learning?

I study with the open university (going into final year) & so a LOT of my work is online. I use my laptop (technically it’s an ideapad) to access each week, the materials, quizzes, videos & to write my actual assignments, so I don’t use it for taking notes else I’d constantly be flicking back & forth, I don’t have space for 2 screens either. I’m sick of writing my notes using pen & paper because they just get crumpled & my handwriting gets messy. I have TONS of screenshots & photos on my phone, kept in various albums so my phone is really messy & unorganised.

I’m considering getting the 2021 ipad & an Apple Pencil solely just for note taking & keeping photos/albums, so I can be more organised & separate my personal phone from study stuff, but this will set me back a little over £400 just for note taking basically. Would it be worthwhile?
Reply 1
Original post by pheobs20
I study with the open university (going into final year) & so a LOT of my work is online. I use my laptop (technically it’s an ideapad) to access each week, the materials, quizzes, videos & to write my actual assignments, so I don’t use it for taking notes else I’d constantly be flicking back & forth, I don’t have space for 2 screens either. I’m sick of writing my notes using pen & paper because they just get crumpled & my handwriting gets messy. I have TONS of screenshots & photos on my phone, kept in various albums so my phone is really messy & unorganised.

I’m considering getting the 2021 ipad & an Apple Pencil solely just for note taking & keeping photos/albums, so I can be more organised & separate my personal phone from study stuff, but this will set me back a little over £400 just for note taking basically. Would it be worthwhile?

iPads are definitely worth it so it would be great looking into getting one. (iPad air 4th gen is a great option for note taking). I wouldn’t recommend getting an Apple Pencil because it’s not worth what you’re paying for it so instead I’d recommend getting a cheaper pencil that will is iPad compatible .
Reply 2
Original post by subbhy
iPads are definitely worth it so it would be great looking into getting one. (iPad air 4th gen is a great option for note taking). I wouldn’t recommend getting an Apple Pencil because it’s not worth what you’re paying for it so instead I’d recommend getting a cheaper pencil that will is iPad compatible .

Thank you!! What’s the difference between an Apple Pencil and a cheaper pencil that is iPad compatible? Will the cheaper pencil turn my writing into readable text?
Reply 3
Original post by pheobs20
Thank you!! What’s the difference between an Apple Pencil and a cheaper pencil that is iPad compatible? Will the cheaper pencil turn my writing into readable text?

There aren’t many differences at all provided that you get a good cheaper version (I got mine for about £20). I don’t think the Apple Pencil turns writing into readable text because that’s more dependent on the app you use, which may or may not do that for you. Goodnotes 5 for example “is perfect for drawing and illustrating, and it can even convert your handwritten notes into digital text”.

The Apple Pencil 2nd gen automatically connects to your iPad (if it’s a newer version and supports magnetic charging for the pencil) but some cheaper pencils you have to connect via Bluetooth. The one I’ve got doesn’t need Bluetooth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending