The Student Room Group

Birmingham or warwick- history?

Opinions on the history departments for both of these please, also a bit of the wider social aspect if possible
Original post by blueamaraxx
Opinions on the history departments for both of these please, also a bit of the wider social aspect if possible

Hi @blueamaraxx!

Whilst I can't tell you much about the history department itself as I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineering student, I can provide some details on UoB's wider social aspect! From my experience, UoB is a really really sociable place. In 1st year, most students live in one of the accommodation villages and mix with their flat, their blocks and even other accommodations sometimes. There is always something going on! Further to this, there are societies and clubs to join, where you will get the opportunity to meet more people outside of your year/ accommodation village. These all have social events to attend where you meet tonnes of new people every time. As well as this, you'll find that it's generally easy to meet people on your course as long as you don't mind chatting to strangers in lecture theatres in the first few weeks!

In 2nd and 3rd year, most of the students at UoB choose to live in Selly Oak which is the area right by the university. As there are so many students there, it makes it a super sociable place as well! Your friends are all within walking distance so it's easy to organise socials. Some other people live in Harborne as well, which is a bit further away but still walkable.

As for going out, 1st year will see you attending Broad Street more than you probably should and later years will have you strolling to Fab 'n' Fresh on a Saturday night. From the Vale accommodation, it's possible to walk to Broad Street Clubs but if you're not feeling the walk there are always ubers and buses to drop you off by the club.

Of course, none of this is going on right now but hopefully soon, things will start getting back to normal! If you have any further questions about UoB in general then don't hesitate to drop me a question!

~Caitlin~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending