The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Which uni for Computer Science - KCL, Durham, Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol?

My son who is currently at A-Level and has predicted score of A*A*A*A (Maths, Physics, History, Chemistry) has applied folowing Universities for Computer Science:
King's College, Durham, Birmingham, Southampton and Bristol.

He has already received conditional offer from Birmingham University.

In your views what should be preference of two uni and ultimately final to opt for in case we get all offers.

Personally my preference is KCL as we live just outside M25 in Slough, though my son likes Durham.

Any insights?
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think durham if he prefers the uni
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Why do you prefer him to be near home? He is an adult or will be by next autumn. It's his choice and "he" has the offer not "we".
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Why do you prefer him to be near home? He is an adult or will be by next autumn. It's his choice and "he" has the offer not "we".

It's always better to be local if you can get a good Uni. But Durham is not ruled out too. Let's see. Thanks for your reply. Yes, his choice matters more than anyone else.
They're all good but quite different student experiences.
Original post by subodhr
My son who is currently at A-Level and has predicted score of A*A*A*A (Maths, Physics, History, Chemistry) has applied folowing Universities for Computer Science:
King's College, Durham, Birmingham, Southampton and Bristol.

He has already received conditional offer from Birmingham University.

In your views what should be preference of two uni and ultimately final to opt for in case we get all offers.

Personally my preference is KCL as we live just outside M25 in Slough, though my son likes Durham.

Any insights?

What do you mean in case "we" get all offers its his work! Tbh your preference does not matter it's all his choice. I think if he wants to enjoy his university life, KCL is not the best, especially commuting from slough! This is probably because a London university is completely different to the others. I think durham or bristol is best but it is just one persons opinion.
Reply 6
Just to keep it updated. So far, Birmingham and Southampton have offered conditional place
Original post by Anonymous #2
What do you mean in case "we" get all offers its his work! Tbh your preference does not matter it's all his choice. I think if he wants to enjoy his university life, KCL is not the best, especially commuting from slough! This is probably because a London university is completely different to the others. I think durham or bristol is best but it is just one persons opinion.

I agree with everything you said
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2

Of course his choice is final. Let's see.
Original post by subodhr
Of course his choice is final. Let's see.

yeah "final" but dont try to sway his choice on the way. my parents didnt like that I was applying to so many far away unis and I did not appreciate their input with trying to find closer unis because it was very clearly for their convenience and comfort. I made my own choices
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by sandrasandi
yeah "final" but dont try to sway his choice on the way. my parents didnt like that I was applying to so many far away unis and I did not appreciate their input with trying to find closer unis because it was very clearly for their convenience and comfort. I made my own choices

I don't recommend doing this but my parents put enough faith in me to select good universities. I didn't actually tell them the universities I am currently applying to until after I applied. I attended Open Days with them and got their opinions of each of the universities but at the end of the day, I didn't want them to sway my decision and if I made the wrong decision to apply to the universities I applied to, I hold my hands up and say that it is my fault - I accept the responsibility,

My parents wanted me to apply to St Andrews, Warwick and UCL instead of Durham Edinburgh and Manchester. I'm so happy I went against their decision because each of the ones they wanted me to apply to has its own problems.

St Andrews - small town, wouldn't imagine great internship opportunities and grad prospects.

Warwick - According to my CS teacher, they fell through on the rankings because they lost their facilities due to funding falling through from one of their major investors. Otherwise, without doubt I would applied here over Durham.

UCL - I wouldn't mind applying here because I don't mind living in London (I also applied to Imperial). The problem was my two friends went to the Open Day and they told me some horrifying stories. One friend showed me a recording of student protests during the major Open Day talk about a lack of funding, which put me off from applying a bit but the nail in the coffin was my other friend who is also applying for CS told me that the facility in comparison to Manchester is atrocious.
I think parents should keep expressing their opinions. After all, it's rare that parents would actually want to harm their own children. The way some universities are suffering from accommodation issues if commuting can be an option then it is always a plus but that should be used as a last resort. It is preferable for students to stay near their friends/university as it is good for their social life and being independent which eventually helps later in life.

I don't think OP is forcing his son to study at KCL, his choice of words could be more cultural. If he really did intend to force his opinions on his son then he wouldn't have posted here asking for people's opinions on the universities.

As for OP' s questions: Your son has stellar grades, and with that he should go to universities that can give him the best start. Durham and Bristol are both fine choices. KCl is good but not as much as these two. If he likes Durham then even better as he will enjoy it more as it is the place he wants to go to.
Reply 12
Hi Guys, probably my original post is bit misinterpreted. Yes as a parent we would like our son to study as close as possible from commuting point of view (entirely to save some cost as these days living cost is very high.) But this doesn't mean that we want to compromise on his own goals and ambitions. In fact plan was/is that he stays local to Uni for initial year so that he steps into the world of being an independent and if he wishes (as well as if it's practical) then continue to commute from home for remaining yeas.

His choice of Durham is more to do with Universities ratings and he knows as well as we know that barring Top 3/4 uni in UK, other next few in line (including these five) are not extremely different than others. Whilst Durham has its own reputation and probably a good place to live, London has its own advantage. Having said that we are still waiting for offers from KCL, Durham and Bristol. Bristol told that it's on hold, KCL said they are still evaluating, Durham has no response so far.

One of my friends daughter is in final (3rd) year in KCL in CS and she has extremely liked the University and told that it meets all latest and greatest curriculum of Computer Science. She was truly satisfied with the course and KCL in general.

Will keep this group updated in coming months where my son finally ends up based on other offers as well as he has scheduled open days next month for Southampton and Birmingham.

Thanks to all who have replied. It always helps with a healthy discussion and good inputs. And yes, a parent is more satisfied and happier when their children become independent.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 13
Received KCL conditional offer yesterday for CS. Home student/non contextual/Predicted A level 3 A* + A (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History). This will be our firm choice whilst keeping Southampton as insurance. Still waiting for Bristol though but not going there anyways.

Update:
Offers from KCL, Southampton, Birmingham.
Rejected from Durham
Waiting from Bristol

Firm choice: KCL
Insurance: Southampton

Have visited offer day campuses so far of Southampton and Birmingham. Liked Southampton CS department and campus too. Birmingham campus was good but CS facility probably not as great as Southampton
Original post by subodhr
Received KCL conditional offer yesterday for CS. Home student/non contextual/Predicted A level 3 A* + A (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History). This will be our firm choice whilst keeping Southampton as insurance. Still waiting for Bristol though but not going there anyways.
Update:
Offers from KCL, Southampton, Birmingham.
Rejected from Durham
Waiting from Bristol
Firm choice: KCL
Insurance: Southampton
Have visited offer day campuses so far of Southampton and Birmingham. Liked Southampton CS department and campus too. Birmingham campus was good but CS facility probably not as great as Southampton
"our" 😭
Congratulations to your son for receiving his 3 offers. If he likes KCL then he should go for it. Southampton is a better choice than Birmingham.
A university is what you make of it. Being in London can sometimes work to your advantage. Best of luck to him and hope he enjoys wherever he goes.
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous #4
Congratulations to your son for receiving his 3 offers. If he likes KCL then he should go for it. Southampton is a better choice than Birmingham.
A university is what you make of it. Being in London can sometimes work to your advantage. Best of luck to him and hope he enjoys wherever he goes.
Thanks. Yes, he is also more inclined towards KCL. Although we/he regret that we didn't apply for Warwick as we thought that Warwick might prefer more of Further Maths students, instead of Durham we should have applied Warwick OR may be UCL. Became active on this forum recently so somewhere based on many people's discussion, it felt like Durham was a waste choice for us. Anyways, all is well that's ends well. KCL or Southampton are also very good Unis
Original post by subodhr
Thanks. Yes, he is also more inclined towards KCL. Although we/he regret that we didn't apply for Warwick as we thought that Warwick might prefer more of Further Maths students, instead of Durham we should have applied Warwick OR may be UCL. Became active on this forum recently so somewhere based on many people's discussion, it felt like Durham was a waste choice for us. Anyways, all is well that's ends well. KCL or Southampton are also very good Unis
Just curious - when people ask your son about his choices, does he say, "I applied to do CS at several unis, and I firmed KCL" or "We applied to do CS at several unis, and we firmed KCL"?
Reply 18
Original post by SilverPebble
Just curious - when people ask your son about his choices, does he say, "I applied to do CS at several unis, and I firmed KCL" or "We applied to do CS at several unis, and we firmed KCL"?
"I"
your son is his own person, it's not "we" applied or "our firm choice", it's his and his alone, his decision his course his life

Quick Reply

Latest