The Student Room Group

law and criminology application

Hiya,
I am currently doing a levels in biology, chemistry and physics. I as set upon studying veterinary medicine at university however i've realised how competitive the field is and so decided against it. I've recently been interested in criminology and law, however am now struggling to link my subjects to my preferred topic for university in my personal statement. How is the subjects i study good for this course? and will i be disadvanted because i have done science subjects?
Hi Grace, I shouldn't think so! What universities are looking for more than anything is that you are going to understand, enjoy and engage well with the material on the course. Obviously if you like bio/chem/phys then there no reason to suggest that university will not look at you because of this.
Analytical skills will definitely be a good one as you can use this a lot in criminology and law. Another good thing would be to talk about what you do outside of your classes, for example good books, podcasts, tv programmes etc that have engaged your interest in the subject. Just be honest! personal statement are about you, not just your A-levels. Good luck!
Original post by Gracep1
Hiya,
I am currently doing a levels in biology, chemistry and physics. I as set upon studying veterinary medicine at university however i've realised how competitive the field is and so decided against it. I've recently been interested in criminology and law, however am now struggling to link my subjects to my preferred topic for university in my personal statement. How is the subjects i study good for this course? and will i be disadvanted because i have done science subjects?

I do not have a perfect answer for this one however I know exactly how you must be feeling!! I had always wanted to do Law but school was never my strong point due to bullying and left with just One Higher in Administration. I left school as soon as possible and started working in various job sectors retails, office based, leisure etc and working my way into management positions and finally found a sector I LOVED which was Health and Social Care, where I went on to do an SVQ 3 and a PDA in Social Service and Healthcare Supervision.

Only now due to some unfortunate events that I had to leave the practical job that I had as it was very hands on and I am unable to do this and therefore went through the process to become a student for BA Hons Law and Criminology.

Moral of the story, do not feel put off because of a change in your mind.....I am 33 years old and still doing the same! The main thing is you are able to show your willingness to learn learn and that you have the ability to demonstrate this no matter what subjects you choose and as long as you explain this along with your reasons for change then I am sure they will take this into consideration.......

All the best!!
Hodge

Quick Reply

Latest